Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2024, 01:04 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,497,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
To me it's no contest I'd pick Clovis(near Fresno), over the other Clovis. And the one in CA seems to have a livelier downtown.

Now for the one in NM, back in the early 2010s BNSF was debating abandoning part of the tracks the Amtrak Southwest Chief train ran on between Albuquerque and Newton, KS(I think) due to(back then) the lack of positive train control being installed. If Amtrak had to reroute this train, communities like Clovis(NM) and Amarillo would've benefitted from this train being rerouted, due to Amtrak setting up train stations in these communities. If my memory is right, Wichita would've gained direct service(under a Southwest Chief reroute, currently their closest station is Newton, KS) once again. But that Southwest Chief reroute never came to be, as in the end BNSF did decide to install positive train control on the tracks the Southwest Chief uses in western Kansas, southeast Colorado, and northern New Mexico. Finally I have a weird hunch that a reroute may've possibly caused more delays for the Southwest Chief, as BNSF runs more freight trains on their line through Amarillo, vs their other line(which Southwest Chief currently uses) through places like say Garden City, KS.

Since Clovis, NM has a military base, that'll lead to my next comparison(of towns with a local military base). Hinesville, GA, or Jacksonville, NC?
Jacksonville based on location and things to do.

New Bern, NC or Ogden, UT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 01:27 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,061,825 times
Ogden UT. There's already a job waiting for me there if I want it!

Tucson AZ or Nashville TN?

Old 02-01-2024, 01:30 PM

16,596 posts, read 10,749,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Ogden UT. There's already a job waiting for me there if I want it!

Tucson AZ or Nashville TN?
Nashville. I strongly prefer a four-season climate to a hot desert climate, and I prefer lush greenery to dry desert-ness. Also, in today's climate of increasing illegal migration across the southern border, I don't consider proximity to Mexico to be a plus.

Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN?

Old 02-01-2024, 01:37 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,203,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Nashville. I strongly prefer a four-season climate to a hot desert climate, and I prefer lush greenery to dry desert-ness. Also, in today's climate of increasing illegal migration across the southern border, I don't consider proximity to Mexico to be a plus.

Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN?
This is a tough one! I'm going to go with Asheville, just so I wouldn't have to deal with Tennessee fans. Both are great though.

Missoula, MT or Charlottesville, VA?

Old 02-01-2024, 01:42 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This is a tough one! I'm going to go with Asheville, just so I wouldn't have to deal with Tennessee fans. Both are great though.

Missoula, MT or Charlottesville, VA?
Charlottesville, more suitable state politics to me and less remote.

Grand Junction, CO or Evansville, IN?

Old 02-01-2024, 06:21 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Charlottesville, more suitable state politics to me and less remote.

Grand Junction, CO or Evansville, IN?
Crime stats and unemployment rates for both cities are similar but since Evansville is larger I picked that city. Salt Lake City or Portland OR?

Old 02-01-2024, 10:51 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Crime stats and unemployment rates for both cities are similar but since Evansville is larger I picked that city. Salt Lake City or Portland OR?
Salt Lake City easily. Better economy and no devastating homelessand drug abuse. More balanced governmsnt leaders and cleaner area.

Indianapolis, IN or Austin, TX?

Old 02-01-2024, 11:31 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Salt Lake City easily. Better economy and no devastating homelessand drug abuse. More balanced governmsnt leaders and cleaner area.

Indianapolis, IN or Austin, TX?
Neither one is super appealing to me but I guess Austin. I still haven't been there, while most of my extended family is in the Indy area, so I'm kind of sick of it by now.

People say the vibe is "over" in Austin and it's too gentrified and sterile now, but everyone also says that about Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco, and I've had a great time in all those cities, and still found them to contain a good amount of alternative culture and interesting/weird people. Indy I don't think has ever had that, even by Midwestern standards.

Sticking to the same state pair: Muncie, IN or Odessa, TX?

Old 02-02-2024, 04:31 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Neither one is super appealing to me but I guess Austin. I still haven't been there, while most of my extended family is in the Indy area, so I'm kind of sick of it by now.

People say the vibe is "over" in Austin and it's too gentrified and sterile now, but everyone also says that about Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco, and I've had a great time in all those cities, and still found them to contain a good amount of alternative culture and interesting/weird people. Indy I don't think has ever had that, even by Midwestern standards.

Sticking to the same state pair: Muncie, IN or Odessa, TX?
Muncie... It has the university presence and is not that far from Indianapolis for big city amenities. Odessa is too isolated for my liking.

Lexington, KY or Lincoln, NE?

Old 02-02-2024, 08:26 AM

355 posts, read 161,212 times
Strictly as a college town vs college town comparison I think I'd lean to Lincoln NE but I can't ignore the charm of Lexington KY here. Even though I'm not an equestrian I like the idea of living in the horse capital of the world and the scenic background it provides and the arts / food scene and bourbon culture of Lexington.

One thing I did notice about KY is most towns/cities have a high local income tax rates which on top of state income tax makes me feel they have a pretty regressive tax structure in place. NE has pretty high state taxes as well so not something that would tilt the scale here.

I'm still shell shocked I recently saw KC's prodigal son on CD extolling the virtues of Texas BBQ...with that in mind:

Lexington NC or Lockhart TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City