Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 03:33 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Within a couple hours of Cleveland are some of the best rural areas in the U.S.
I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
The cost of living is significantly less than in Chicago and especially NYC.
And is still losing people.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-27-2016 at 03:42 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I think this is a bit of a stretch.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...h.Country.html

See Holmes County here:

Top 10 Places to See Autumn Leaves -- National Geographic

Old 05-27-2016, 07:30 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I can appreciate all that Cleveland has to offer - the Lake, the Metroparks, the high cultural institutions, Case Western, the rapid transit system, the Westside Market, the urban districts - but how in the world can you say that Cleveland is a better place to live than NYC and Chicago when it provides FAR less than those places.
Simple... cost of living is so much less.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Bad weather is subjective and depends on your interests. I personally enjoy pond hockey, without colder temperatures during the winter I would never be able to play.

Also, I am one of those people that gets sick of all seasons toward the end. By the end of summer I am ready for fall. By the end of fall I am ready for winter, and so on. Given this I would be miserable in a southern city where every day feels like summer.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 05-27-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 08:10 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I don't think you get. Let's compare December weather in Cleveland to Miami. In December which one allows you to be out and about more comfortable and able to spend more hours freely outside? Which allows you do to more outdoor activities? While the reverse happens in summer, in Miami it's pretty damn hot come summertime but you can still do water sports, do the beach, pool, still go jogging in the evenings and mornings outside and still hang outside in your deck comfortablly in the mornings and evenings. In a Miami summer you are still able to do more things outside freely than in a Cleveland winter.

Can I ask you this? Why is that people don't sit outside on their porches, decks, balconies or patios in the winter months of the cities this thread. Why don't they just sit outside and hangout? Why does all outdoor seating go away in the winter? Please answer those questions and tell me that winters aren't that cold. The is a reason why people coop up in winter.
As for the summer argument, I would disagree. Google Optimal Temperature range for peak performance in endurance activities (running, biking, hiking etc.). It is 52 degrees. There's a reason why elite runners prefer mild/cool climates. There are many more hikers, cyclists, and runners in Minneapolis, than there are in Miami, and there is a reason for that. Even if you make the point "look at Ethiopia and Kenya!", look at climates for Addis Ababa and Nairobi. Significantly cooler than Miami, for sure.

As for water activities, I'll give you that one. For people lounging by or in the pool, swimming, diving, etc, there is no place better than Miami if that is your thing, but it isn't everyone's. There's a reason why the Everglades, despite having a much higher residential and tourist base around it, has less than half the annual average attendance of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. So, for those really focused or enjoying water activities, or just being sedentary in general, Miami is quite good. But even still, there are those moments, even when just standing still, when it's simply absurd. I was waiting (simply waiting) to go into a Marlins game for about a half hour before it opened, and just about passed out. And I'm 150 pounds, and can run a half marathon at 8 min. mile pace, so it's not like people just have less heat tolerance because they are overweight. Even at night it doesn't really cool down that much, as the humidity is still like 85-90%.

For doing anything remotely strenuous, a 35 degree day beats a 90 degree one. And that's not just me speaking, that's science/athletes themselves (i.e. LeBron cramping up in Game 1 a few years back when air went off and it was about 80 degrees in there).

Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Bad weather really is subjective though. And I agree with other posters. For what Cleveland, Chicago and NYC offer, the price for what Cleveland is offering is generally better, at least for me.That doesn't mean I, or any of us are saying it's the most amazing place in the world, but for what it offers, I prefer it. In fact, I also much prefer Cleveland's natural offerings to Chicago's, but again, that is just preferential, and I don't want to open another can of worms here lol.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:14 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Weather differences between Midwest cities pale against other considerations IMO.

The bulk of this diatribe isn't germane to the original topic.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
For weather considerations, I'd rank:

Detroit ~ Chicago > Cleveland ~ Buffalo > Minneapolis

Although I'm also partial to cooler climates, so I wouldn't say any of these cities have the worst weather in the U.S. in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:24 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Simple... cost of living is so much less.
Yeah and cost of living is so low because it's not as a desirable place to live. There is a reason it's so cheap.....

Old 05-27-2016, 08:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Bad weather is subjective and depends on your interests. I personally enjoy pond hockey, with out colder temperatures during the winter I would never be able to play.

Also, I am one of those people that gets sick of all seasons toward the end. By the end of summer I am ready for fall. By the end of fall I am ready for winter, and so on. Given this I would be miserable in a southern city where every day feels like summer.
I totally get that, and my quips about weather wasn't directed towards you. It was someone who mentioned that people who don't like winter "are precious little flowers" which is not the case. If you like snowboarding, pond hockey, etc. Then cold climate is better for you. But I will say this you find A LOT more Americans participating in summer sports (beach volleyball, tennis, basketball, swimming, etc) than playing winter sports like ice hockey or snowboarding.

I think it's safe to assume that most people like summer weather more than winter weather. Doesn't mean they all want to live in the south, it just means winter while desirable for some, is not desirable for the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City