Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:39 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I have dealt with 30 years of winter, and I just don't want to put up with it. I feel I have paid my dues of dealing with gloomy days, snow, and being limited in my outdoor activities. I think I deserve to be able to want to live somewhere where I can do outdoor activities year round. If that makes me a precious flower then so be it.
Don't disagree with you here, and hope that you enjoy it! Not even really about paying dues, since no one should have to do that to live where they want. Just do what makes you happy, and screw everything else.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 AM

11,055 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
And cold climates live 96% in furnace AND AC too. Cold climates aren't living in an articifical environment. You are going to tell me in cold climates the furnace isn't turned on between November to March? The heat isn't used in your car in those months? No one turns on the AC between June and August in the Midwest? Get real man.

To me it so sad that ones has to be so layered up during winter, instead of being more free and wearing less clothing. So prefer wearing layers over less clothing? And how is talking about wearing shorts and t-shirts being EXCITING? Anyone who thinks that is whack. It's about comfort and feeling more free. I don't get excited when I get to wear shorts and t-shirts, but I am sure as hell more comfortable, feel more free, and happier when I do.
Sorry to hit such a sensitive, sore spot for you.

I can't help you with this bitterness though. Have a nice day.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
UrbanCheetah, aren't you based in Chicago?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sorry to hit such a sensitive, sore spot for you.

I can't help you with this bitterness though. Have a nice day.
No you didn't hit a sore spot. You're good.

Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
UrbanCheetah, aren't you based in Chicago?
Yup.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:48 AM

And for the record, I don't have anything against Cleveland, just its boosters, which I discovered how bad they are a few days ago.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
I have dealt with 30 years of winter, and I just don't want to put up with it. I feel I have paid my dues of dealing with gloomy days, snow, and being limited in my outdoor activities. I think I deserve to be able to want to live somewhere where I can do outdoor activities year round. If that makes me a precious flower then so be it.
One can do all sorts of activities outside in the winter — many things one can't do in the summer. Seems like you're just not much of an outdoorsman.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM

11,055 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
One can do all sorts of activities outside in the winter — many things one can't do in the summer. Seems like you're just not much of an outdoorsman.
This.

Winter is great. I love hockey/ice skating. Christmas festivals are wonderful. I know there is a big music festival in Cleveland called "Brite Winter"- the entire point being that winter is something to celebrate, not be afraid of, so come listen to some music. Last time I went, it was swamped with people out enjoying bands and hot chocolate. Some people on here it seems have never had much curiosity about anything in life.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM

At the end of the day it seems MOST people prefer mild weather, and that's okay. I think I even prefer it over too hot or too cold, even if I prefer change to no change. I get why people like that weather, but I don't get why weather is the #1 priority for so many people over some other VERY valuable quality of life aspects, like safety, education, economy, family, etc.

On the weather topic, let's say we defined "ideal weather" as mostly sunny days with temperatures between 60 and 85 degrees (I realize some might find "ideal" to be 45 degrees -- I can -- or 95 degrees, but this is about generalities). I'd like to see which cities have which number of DAYS (not months) on average within that range. Obviously West Coast cities are going to fall almost exclusively within that range, but I'm most curious about Sun Belt cities in the South/Southeast compared to Midwest/Northeast cities. My guess is that the Sun Belt cities will have more days like this on average, but it won't be quite as stark a contrast as many people would like to think. E.g. Dallas has at least 4-5 months with average high temps higher than 85 degrees, and Minneapolis has at least 6 months with average highs below 60. Dallas also has periods with average highs less than 60 degrees though. Yet everybody and their mother says Dallas' weather is "ideal" compared to Minneapolis (or Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, etc.). It must be that people are more cold-averse than heat-averse (or maybe snow-averse).

Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This.

Winter is great. I love hockey/ice skating. Christmas festivals are wonderful. I know there is a big music festival in Cleveland called "Brite Winter"- the entire point being that winter is something to celebrate, not be afraid of, so come listen to some music. Last time I went, it was swamped with people out enjoying bands and hot chocolate. Some people on here it seems have never had much curiosity about anything in life.
Good stuff! Wish I went to Brite Winter when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City