Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:52 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
More than in the winter. In the mornings before is still gets hot, and in the evenings when it gets cool people will be out and about. I spent a week in August in Tuscson visiting family. Really early in the morning I would go running. Then during the day when it was unbearable we were inside a lot, although we would spend a good 2-3 hours in the OUTSIDE pool, when we got tired of being inside. At night, when it cooled down, we went mini golfing OUTSIDE and were perfectly comfortable. There was even one day that we went during the day when it was hot, to check out Saguaro Canyon, it was hot, but we stayed in the shade, and I was just in shorts and a t-shirt which I prefer to deal with that, than being in the cold and having to put on boots, hat, gloves, jacket, scarf, etc, just to see a place in uncomfortable temperatures.

Same goes for Miami and btw Miami I don't believe has ever reached 100 degrees. Ask Tom why: Is it true that the temperature in Miami has never reached 100 degrees? - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

I have gone to Miami in the summer, and it's unbearable during the day. But again, I was able to play tennis early in the morning, hang out at the OUTDOOR pool in the middle of the day, and eat at different restaurants outdoor at night. And when it's unbearable in Miami you can also do the beach....
What if you don't want to play tennis or go to the beach?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
That is true, but it may have more to do with the fact that winter sports are only playable in ~25% of the country during 3-4 months. Summer sports are playable by ~75% of the country all year around, and the other ~25% for 8-9 months.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed toward you, but winter in these cities really does only last for 3 solid months, sometimes even less. November can be hit or miss in terms of cold and snow, but by March winter is basically over. Sure you get those years where it seems to drag on forever, where you get 6 inches of snow in late-March/early-April, but those are anomalies and the snow is usually gone within 24 hours.
^This.....I think some people do not realize that life still goes on during the winter and that winters aren't uniform in terms of constant snowfall or negative temperatures. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Several points I'll make here.

1. Part of the reason you see a lot more people doing the sports you mentioned than otherwise isn't just location, but expense. Those sports are things that only upper middle and upper class families can typically afford. However, lots of kids love playing in the snow, be it from all classes. But, we can also look at stats in some ways too. The population of Denver grew at a faster rate than any metro in FL did, and the median housing costs of ski resort towns such as Breckenridge, Vail and Aspen is higher than what would find anywhere in FL, even Palm Beach.

2. You mention that desirability factor, but again, desirable for whom? A lot more of it has to do with the fact that for the type of people who prefer cities like Cleveland (for valid reasons), there are probably 10 similar cities across the Midwest and Northeast with varying advantages in amenities and cost of living, where Miami is the only city in the lower 48 that has that type of climate year round.

3. I think many actual residents of Miami wish it were a lot less popular than it was though, as in the end, that demand that is there from rich northerners (like Trump) make it a worse place to live in many ways. Because salaries aren't commensurate with COL in many cases (many living on 11$ a day there) I believe 47% of mortgages there are underwater. That's astounding, and no amount of sun/sand will make up for that. Also, it's important to note that part of the reason for that short supply is that Miami effectively serves as a modern day Ellis Island for the Carribean/Latin America. Which, while its nice for diversity purposes, makes housing a tough find. Those people there coming from those other places may prefer it, or not, or not really have a concept of anywhere else, however, solely by being in the US as opposed to their home countries, it's likely they're happy to have found a significantly higher QOL.

4. As per the weather comment, I agree with you, sort of. Obviously once it's been freezing and everything, then it's suddenly sunny, everyone is gonna get out and enjoy it. But, look at when people run, not just elites. The Boston Marathon? April. The Chicago Marathon? October. NYC? November. If those weren't better times to run those races that are very much for the masses as well, they wouldn't be run then. And, there's still the fact that in terms of fitness, the Upper Midwest, New England, the PNW and SF are the fittest places. Income plays a factor in that certainly, but, it's also just part of the culture because the temperature is more prone for it. Running/biking is honestly more of a subculture in FL compared to what it is up north, and hiking is almost nonexistent.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:56 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I agree that warm weather is more conducive to outside activity. I am just speaking towards the flaw of this thread.

To insinuate that these cities have the worst weather because we deal with extreme cold for 1/4 of the year as opposed to extreme heat for 1/4 of the year is extremely subjective.

Also, as a side note, I much prefer the northern climates because when we have warm weather the sun is out from 5 in the morning to 9 at night. When these southern states have (comfortable) warm weather the sun is out from 7 in the morning to 5 at night.
From 7 to 5?? What are you talking about?! Miami one the most southern cities in July sun rises at 6:30-45am and sets at 8:15pm....Here is the proof: Sunrise and sunset times in Miami, July 2016

Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
From 7 to 5?? What are you talking about?! Miami one the most southern cities in July sun rises at 6:30-45am and sets at 8:15pm....Here is the proof: Sunrise and sunset times in Miami, July 2016
And in July the warm weather is uncomfortable in Miami.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What if you don't want to play tennis or go to the beach?
You you obviously missed my point here. I am not saying everyone prefers warm weather just overall, the majority of people do based on their behavior in summer vs. winter. That's fine you prefer winter sports and weather, as do millions of people in this country. But the truth is that's not the majority, hence why warmer cities are growing and why people retire in warmer climates, why people also vacation in warmer climates.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Actually, compared to the general population, I would say this message board in general is much more even keeled when it comes to weather. But I think the bottom line is that some people are gonna prefer hotter, some people cooler, and that's okay : )

Cleveland boosters are ridiculous. It's like arguing with wall.

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
More than in the winter. In the mornings before is still gets hot, and in the evenings when it gets cool people will be out and about. I spent a week in August in Tuscson visiting family. Really early in the morning I would go running. Then during the day when it was unbearable we were inside a lot, although we would spend a good 2-3 hours in the OUTSIDE pool, when we got tired of being inside. At night, when it cooled down, we went mini golfing OUTSIDE and were perfectly comfortable. There was even one day that we went during the day when it was hot, to check out Saguaro Canyon, it was hot, but we stayed in the shade, and I was just in shorts and a t-shirt which I prefer to deal with that, than being in the cold and having to put on boots, hat, gloves, jacket, scarf, etc, just to see a place in uncomfortable temperatures.

Same goes for Miami and btw Miami I don't believe has ever reached 100 degrees. Ask Tom why: Is it true that the temperature in Miami has never reached 100 degrees? - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

I have gone to Miami in the summer, and it's unbearable during the day. But again, I was able to play tennis early in the morning, hang out at the OUTDOOR pool in the middle of the day, and eat at different restaurants outdoor at night. And when it's unbearable in Miami you can also do the beach....
But you are still constrained in those cities whether it be inside, or in a pool.

I have spent many unbearably cold days in an outside hot tub, even though I was outside I was still constrained to that hot tub.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 AM

As per people vacationing in warmer climates, that makes sense. However, it's one thing to vacation, and another to move. And there are still A LOT more people in this country, where people have a choice, living in areas where it does get at least somewhat cold during the winter, than people living where it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City