Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah and cost of living is so low because it's not as a desirable place to live. There is a reason it's so cheap.....
Where do you live?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I totally get that, and my quips about weather wasn't directed towards you. It was someone who mentioned that people who don't like winter "are precious little flowers" which is not the case. If you like snowboarding, pond hockey, etc. Then cold climate is better for you. But I will say this you find A LOT more Americans participating in summer sports (beach volleyball, tennis, basketball, swimming, etc) than playing winter sports like ice hockey or snowboarding.

I think it's safe to assume that most people like summer weather more than winter weather. Doesn't mean they all want to live in the south, it just means winter while desirable for some, is not desirable for the majority.
That is true, but it may have more to do with the fact that winter sports are only playable in ~25% of the country during 3-4 months. Summer sports are playable by ~75% of the country all year around, and the other ~25% for 8-9 months.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed toward you, but winter in these cities really does only last for 3 solid months, sometimes even less. November can be hit or miss in terms of cold and snow, but by March winter is basically over. Sure you get those years where it seems to drag on forever, where you get 6 inches of snow in late-March/early-April, but those are anomalies and the snow is usually gone within 24 hours.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:35 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
As for the summer argument, I would disagree. Google Optimal Temperature range for peak performance in endurance activities (running, biking, hiking etc.). It is 52 degrees. There's a reason why elite runners prefer mild/cool climates. There are many more hikers, cyclists, and runners in Minneapolis, than there are in Miami, and there is a reason for that. Even if you make the point "look at Ethiopia and Kenya!", look at climates for Addis Ababa and Nairobi. Significantly cooler than Miami, for sure.

As for water activities, I'll give you that one. For people lounging by or in the pool, swimming, diving, etc, there is no place better than Miami if that is your thing, but it isn't everyone's. There's a reason why the Everglades, despite having a much higher residential and tourist base around it, has less than half the annual average attendance of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. So, for those really focused or enjoying water activities, or just being sedentary in general, Miami is quite good. But even still, there are those moments, even when just standing still, when it's simply absurd. I was waiting (simply waiting) to go into a Marlins game for about a half hour before it opened, and just about passed out. And I'm 150 pounds, and can run a half marathon at 8 min. mile pace, so it's not like people just have less heat tolerance because they are overweight. Even at night it doesn't really cool down that much, as the humidity is still like 85-90%.

For doing anything remotely strenuous, a 35 degree day beats a 90 degree one. And that's not just me speaking, that's science/athletes themselves (i.e. LeBron cramping up in Game 1 a few years back when air went off and it was about 80 degrees in there).
I am going to agree to disagree with you here. I am not talking about elite athletes. I am just talking about people who like to be out and about doing outdoor activities, your average person. When it's 40 or 50 degrees here in Chicago, there are FAR LESS, maybe 1/3 the amount of runners when it's in the 70s and 80s. The Bloomingdale Trail and Lake Shore are dead when it's in the 40s or 50s with runners. In the heat of the summer, the trail and the Lake Shore are PACKED with runners, to the point where it's annoying.

Are you going to tell me you see more people doing outdoor activities when it's 40s and 50s than when it's in the 80s?! I don't care what the optimal temperature for peak performance is, people do a lot more outside when it is in the 70s and 80s than they do when its in the 40s and 50s.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Where do you live?
Chicago.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I am going to agree to disagree with you here. I am not talking about elite athletes. I am just talking about people who like to be out and about doing outdoor activities, your average person. When it's 40 or 50 degrees here in Chicago, there are FAR LESS, maybe 1/3 the amount of runners when it's in the 70s and 80s. The Bloomingdale Trail and Lake Shore are dead when it's in the 40s or 50s with runners. In the heat of the summer, the trail and the Lake Shore are PACKED with runners, to the point where it's annoying.

Are you going to tell me you see more people doing outdoor activities when it's 40s and 50s than when it's in the 80s?! I don't care what the optimal temperature for peak performance is, people do a lot more outside when it is in the 70s and 80s than they do when its in the 40s and 50s.
But you can flip this around and ask how many people are outside doing activities when it is 115 in Phoenix, or 100 and humid in Miami?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That is true, but it may have more to do with the fact that winter sports are only playable in ~25% of the country during 3-4 months. Summer sports are playable by ~75% of the country all year around, and the other ~25% for 8-9 months.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed toward you, but winter in these cities really does only last for 3 solid months, sometimes even less. November can be hit or miss in terms of cold and snow, but by March winter is basically over. Sure you get those years where it seems to drag on forever, where you get 6 inches of snow in late-March/early-April, but those are anomalies and the snow is usually gone within 24 hours.
I still disagree with that. I grew up in Chicago and still live here. People are far less interested in playing winter sports here than summer sports. The most people might do here in the Chicago area is go snowboarding in the Wisconsin, and that's maybe a 1-2 times per winter. In the summer (which just like winter is about 3-4 months)? People go to the beach, they play basketball, runners are everywhere, people on bike riders are everywhere, festivals take place, tennnis courts get full, etc. You don't see that happening in 50 degree weather and below.

I mean let's be honest here. Cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Buffalo, and Cleveland what time of the year are they most alive, with the most people out and about? When do all the outdoor festivals take place? When do you seem more people doing outdoor sports? Summer.

Some people prefer cold weather or enjoy it, totally find and I understand. But based on migration patterns, how people vacation during winter, and how people behave during the summer in seasonal cities, I think it's safe to say the majority of people prefer warmer weather.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
But you can flip this around and ask how many people are outside doing activities when it is 115 in Phoenix, or 100 and humid in Miami?
They live like 96% of their lives in air conditioning. That's so sad. Such an artificial existence. But the "hot is better" narrative dominates this country and this forum. So boring.

By the way, the reason cold winter cities are energetic in the summer is because it's actually exciting to be able to wear shorts! It's not exciting to wear shorts or t shirts in Miami. That's how it is every day. I vastly prefer the variety in climate- every season seems special.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
More than in the winter. In the mornings before is still gets hot, and in the evenings when it gets cool people will be out and about. I spent a week in August in Tuscson visiting family. Really early in the morning I would go running. Then during the day when it was unbearable we were inside a lot, although we would spend a good 2-3 hours in the OUTSIDE pool, when we got tired of being inside. At night, when it cooled down, we went mini golfing OUTSIDE and were perfectly comfortable. There was even one day that we went during the day when it was hot, to check out Saguaro Canyon, it was hot, but we stayed in the shade, and I was just in shorts and a t-shirt which I prefer to deal with that, than being in the cold and having to put on boots, hat, gloves, jacket, scarf, etc, just to see a place in uncomfortable temperatures.

Same goes for Miami and btw Miami I don't believe has ever reached 100 degrees. Ask Tom why: Is it true that the temperature in Miami has never reached 100 degrees? - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

I have gone to Miami in the summer, and it's unbearable during the day. But again, I was able to play tennis early in the morning, hang out at the OUTDOOR pool in the middle of the day, and eat at different restaurants outdoor at night. And when it's unbearable in Miami you can also do the beach....

Old 05-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
They live like 96% of their lives in air conditioning. That's so sad. Such an artificial existence. But the "hot is better" narrative dominates this country and this forum. So boring.

By the way, the reason cold winter cities are energetic in the summer is because it's actually exciting to be able to wear shorts! It's not exciting to wear shorts or t shirts in Miami. That's how it is every day. I vastly prefer the variety in climate- every season seems special.
And cold climates live 96% in furnace AND AC too. Cold climates aren't living in an articifical environment. You are going to tell me in cold climates the furnace isn't turned on between November to March? The heat isn't used in your car in those months? No one turns on the AC between June and August in the Midwest? Get real man.

To me it so sad that ones has to be so layered up during winter, instead of being more free and wearing less clothing. So prefer wearing layers over less clothing? And how is talking about wearing shorts and t-shirts being EXCITING? Anyone who thinks that is whack. It's about comfort and feeling more free. I don't get excited when I get to wear shorts and t-shirts, but I am sure as hell more comfortable, feel more free, and happier when I do.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I still disagree with that. I grew up in Chicago and still live here. People are far less interested in playing winter sports here than summer sports. The most people might do here in the Chicago area is go snowboarding in the Wisconsin, and that's maybe a 1-2 times per winter. In the summer (which just like winter is about 3-4 months)? People go to the beach, they play basketball, runners are everywhere, people on bike riders are everywhere, festivals take place, tennnis courts get full, etc. You don't see that happening in 50 degree weather and below.

I mean let's be honest here. Cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Buffalo, and Cleveland what time of the year are they most alive, with the most people out and about? When do all the outdoor festivals take place? When do you seem more people doing outdoor sports? Summer.

Some people prefer cold weather or enjoy it, totally find and I understand. But based on migration patterns, how people vacation during winter, and how people behave during the summer in seasonal cities, I think it's safe to say the majority of people prefer warmer weather.
I agree that warm weather is more conducive to outside activity. I am just speaking towards the flaw of this thread.

To insinuate that these cities have the worst weather because we deal with extreme cold for 1/4 of the year as opposed to extreme heat for 1/4 of the year is extremely subjective.

Also, as a side note, I much prefer the northern climates because when we have warm weather the sun is out from 5 in the morning to 9 at night. When these southern states have (comfortable) warm weather the sun is out from 7 in the morning to 5 at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City