Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:18 AM

36,684 posts, read 67,677,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Right, but the data doesn't change. They adjust the previous numbers to fit the current boundaries.
Yes but the rankings were different which is what I was addressing. Prior to DC-Baltimore's creation, the top 5 CMSAs were:
1 NY
2 LA
3 Chicago
4 SF
5 Philadelphia

The person I responded said that prior to 2000, Philly and Boston were both larger than SF and DC but thats not correct. SF had already surpassed both Philly and Boston well before 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,734,317 times
Quote:
I don't think Philly ever lost a county either. Mercer County was never part of the Philly CSA, so not sure why a few forumers are always whining about Mercer. The commute numbers aren't remotely close. Philly whining about Mercer makes about as much sense as NYC whining about Burlington or Atlantic counties. We're talking an enormous difference in relative commuting.

And Mercer is a relatively small county with a shrinking population. It's largely irrelevent.
It's because mercer county practically borders philly, and is culturally delaware valley

Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,022,067 times
Quote:
I don't think Philly ever lost a county either. Mercer County was never part of the Philly CSA, so not sure why a few forumers are always whining about Mercer. The commute numbers aren't remotely close. Philly whining about Mercer makes about as much sense as NYC whining about Burlington or Atlantic counties. We're talking an enormous difference in relative commuting.

And Mercer is a relatively small county with a shrinking population. It's largely irrelevent.
Mercer was part of the Philly MSA up until the late 90s, beyond a CSA county actually a MSA county

Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,378,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
It's because mercer county practically borders philly, and is culturally delaware valley
But this doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with MSAs or CSAs.

And I don't even think the premise is true. How is a typical Mercer County resident "culturally Delaware Valley"? They tend to be from New York, not Philly. Places like Hamilton are filled with tons of ex New Yorkers fleeing high home prices. Masses of Italian Americans from the South Shore of Staten Island. Philly residents don't move there because for Philly folks the home prices are higher and the distances are longer.

And the Mercer population center is around Princeton, which is a NY commuter town. Philly gets few commuters from Mercer, and the commuter rail basically stops at the Mercer line, right at the CSA boundaries.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:44 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,734,317 times

If you notice a line goes to trenton and west trenton. Btw, trenton is the county seat of mercer county. CSA's are obviously a flawed metric.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
But this doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with MSAs or CSAs.

And I don't even think the premise is true. How is a typical Mercer County resident "culturally Delaware Valley"? They tend to be from New York, not Philly. Places like Hamilton are filled with tons of ex New Yorkers fleeing high home prices. Masses of Italian Americans from the South Shore of Staten Island. Philly residents don't move there because for Philly folks the home prices are higher and the distances are longer.

And the Mercer population center is around Princeton, which is a NY commuter town. Philly gets few commuters from Mercer, and the commuter rail basically stops at the Mercer line, right at the CSA boundaries.

no the population center is not close to Princeton its right on the Bucks county PA border

I spent a lot of my youth growing up about 3 miles from Mercer county, it is influenced by both areas and some of its own identity but I really don't agree with a lot of your points based on my experience

here is the population density map for Mercer

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/win.../p32-p1-lg.jpg

Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

If you notice a line goes to trenton and west trenton. Btw, trenton is the county seat of mercer county. CSA's are obviously a flawed metric.
That's exactly what I previously wrote. SEPTA goes only right to the Mercer County border, which shows that Mercer commuters aren't headed to Philly. Otherwise there would be SEPTA service.

You haven't explained why CSAs are a flawed metric. You haven't given one reason, outside of "Waah, no fair".

Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
no the population center is not close to Princeton its right on the Bucks county PA border
None of this is true. The population/growth center of Mercer is in North Mercer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I spent a lot of my youth growing up about 3 miles from Mercer county, it is influenced by both areas and some of its own identity but I really don't agree with a lot of your points based on my experience
That's fine. We all have biases. Doesn't mean your biases line up with facts. The fact is that there's not one logical reason why Mercer would be part of the Philly MSA or CSA.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,193,097 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I previously wrote. SEPTA goes only right to the Mercer County border, which shows that Mercer commuters aren't headed to Philly. Otherwise there would be SEPTA service.

You haven't explained why CSAs are a flawed metric. You haven't given one reason, outside of "Waah, no fair".
Huh? SEPTA goes right into the economic heart and center of population of Mercer County, which is Trenton. From a business perspective, it would make no sense to extend the line out any further.

Quote:
None of this is true. The population/growth center of Mercer is in North Mercer.

That's fine. We all have biases. Doesn't mean your biases line up with facts. The fact is that there's not one logical reason why Mercer would be part of the Philly MSA or CSA.
Trenton: 84,913
Hamilton Township: 88,464
Ewing Township: 35,790

That's 209,167 people out of 366,513 (57%) geographically closer to Philadelphia than New York. Until I see some stats from you otherwise about the "growth center" of Mercer being further north, I'll take that claim with a grain of salt, but the population center, to include Mercer County's most important municipality, is absolutely closer to Philly--kidphilly has even posted a density map.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:

you said population which was and clearly is on the PA border. Sure Plainsboro has a higher % growth rate and way fewer people living there relative to the areas directly on the Bucks County PA border

Also neither Philly NYC proper are the draws of commuters from Mercer

Mercer attracts and sends commuters to neighboring counties in PA and NJ

Where Do Jersey

the commuter rates are what they are and the job centers moved from Fairless hill PA to Ewing (Merrill and the route 1 corridor etc

historically Mercer was a Philly MSA county today is a NYC CSA.

Mercer has historically more population associated with Philly. today it sends more commuters a few miles over NYC counties boundaries then before as job centers on route 1 and 287 grew. Its not commuters to Manhattan making it a NYC CSA county by any means but those drive a few miles north as opposed to a few miles south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City