Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 AM

429 posts, read 479,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually affluent and educated suburbanites are highly concentrated in SJs bland suburbia. San Jose has the nation's 3rd largest cluster of elite households:

Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

Largest Contigious Clusters of Elite Zip Codes
defined by at least 7 in 10 adults have a
College Degree and the Average Income exceed $120,000
1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

As far as #3 San Jose, we're talking an area that covers 437 square miles and as far as #5 Oakland, we're talking about an area that covers 240 square miles.

Seattle didnt make the top 15 so...
It's hard to believe that San Diego and Trenton beat Seattle here. I'm not doubting that it's true, it's just hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
It's hard to believe that San Diego and Trenton beat Seattle here. I'm not doubting that it's true, it's just hard to believe.
Published in 2013 I believe? (Reading from my phone so potentially the mobile webpage isn't presented correctly?)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Well, you can send your grievance to the Washington Post.

But I think a more likely truth is that you underestimate those areas. UC San Diego and surroundings combine academia, biotech and rich coastal areas, and Trenton is a wealthy metro area home to Princeton.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Actually affluent and educated suburbanites are highly concentrated in SJs bland suburbia.
I never suggested they weren't so not really sure why you're basically repeating something you already said earlier, or what that has to do with my post.

Affluent and educated living in bland suburbia?? Get out! lol

Old 08-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I never suggested they weren't so not really sure why you're basically repeating something you already said earlier, or what that has to do with my post.

Affluent and educated living in bland suburbia?? Get out! lol
Yes we both seem to be stuck on replay.

I found this amusing.
Tourists put Silicon Valley

And it's true, our bland suburban office parks are being sought after by tourists from around the world. Ive even seen them in front of the Palo Alto building I work in.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:03 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Yes we both seem to be stuck on replay.

I found this amusing.
Tourists put Silicon Valley

And it's true, our bland suburban office parks are being sought after by tourists from around the world. Ive even seen them in front of the Palo Alto building I work in.
Well I'm not really, you just keep repeating random stuff that really doesn't pertain to my posts to keep the conversation going for whatever reason.

That's wonderful. I wonder when the double decker tour buses will start doing an architectural tour of tiny ranch houses and dated strip malls.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
Quote:
Seattle is not a segregated city neighborhoods are a mix of rich, middle, and low income. Seattle even did away with its housing projects . There mixed income there very nice neighborhoods .

Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle is not a segregated city neighborhoods are a mix of rich, middle, and low income. Seattle even did away with its housing projects . There mixed income there very nice neighborhoods .
Eh, I wouldn't totally agree with that. South Seattle is very minority heavy and has much higher crime and poverty rates, while the area north of the ship canal (Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, Greenwood, etc.) is very White and much safer and more prosperous.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Well, you can send your grievance to the Washington Post.

But I think a more likely truth is that you underestimate those areas. UC San Diego and surroundings combine academia, biotech and rich coastal areas, and Trenton is a wealthy metro area home to Princeton.
I think it's interesting that two of the five richest people in the world (Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos) reside in the Seattle Metro area, while the Bay Area has no one in the top 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...s_Billionaires

Also, I'd argue that Seattle's economy is more diverse - the largest employer in the region is Boeing, then you also have retailers like Starbuck's and Costco, tech giants like Amazon and Microsoft (with major satellite offices for Google, Facebook, etc), and the two biggest real estate websites (Zillow and Redfin) are based in Seattle. Not to mention two major ports and a strong maritime-based economy.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I think it's interesting that two of the five richest people in the world (Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos) reside in the Seattle Metro area, while the Bay Area has no one in the top 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...s_Billionaires
That's nice, but the Bay Area has more billionaires than anywhere in the world except New York. No Seattle in the Top 20.

Number of Resident Billionaires, 2016
New York 116
San Francisco Bay 71

Moscow 68
Hong Kong 64
Los Angeles 51
London 50
Beijing 46
Mumbai 33
Miami 31
Istanbul 30
Seoul 29
Paris 27
São Paulo 27
Shenzhen 25
Taipei 25
Dallas 24
Singapore 22
Chicago 19
Shanghai 19
Zurich 18

The Geography of the World's Billionaires - CityLab

Quote:
Also, I'd argue that Seattle's economy is more diverse
Id be happy to verify that. In the meantime the Bay Area's regional economy is more than twice as large and 3rd largest in the country.

3. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA $711.188 Billion

11. Seattle-Tacoma CSA $326.087 Billion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City