Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times

Advertisements

Interesting question...I see Georgetown being listed for DC but here in Suburban MD, University of MD at College Park is clearly the top dog...for Black America, Howard is as synonymous with DC as Georgetown is

For LA, how would one pick a winner between UCLA and USC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
In LA it would be between USC and UCLA.
In Houston, it would be between U of H and Rice.
In Dallas, it would have to be SMU.
The fact it's between anything negates it.

Why SMU? What's so special about SMU?

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I legitimately don't understand what the OP means by de facto university. Does it mean the one most closely associated with the city, the preeminent, the school most likely to of been attended by a resident, the biggest footprint?
yeah.

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Hmm, if this thread is about flagship universities, it kind of creates an interesting wrinkle as far as what criteria is to be used. Many areas have an academically premier university (UPenn, Columbia, Stanford, etc.), while still having less academically powerful universities that excel in other areas (namely, sports and more niche degree programs), and that have a larger undergrad/alumni/cultural base.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Chicago (U of Chicago but possibly Northwestern since it's big 10. The U of I has a strong following, although it's not located in the metro.)
Twin Cities (U of Minnesota)
Milwaukee (Marquette?)
for chicago my vote would be northwestern.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
My guess is the op is inquiring about what people consider to be the flagship university of the city/metro. Perhaps the OP can clarify.
pretty much if you tell someone you are a student living in a certain city which college/university would they guess you attend.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
For LA, how would one pick a winner between UCLA and USC?
Public over private, for the purpose of this thread that I do not really understand. So UCLA not USC, Cal not Stanford, etc. Public schools have way more students, and locals who don't have connections to either school will most likely have more of an affinity for the public school versus the private school (at least that's my experience, people not associated with either like Cal not Stanford).

Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Public over private, for the purpose of this thread that I do not really understand. So UCLA not USC, Cal not Stanford, etc. Public schools have way more students, and locals who don't have connections to either school will most likely have more of an affinity for the public school versus the private school (at least that's my experience, people not associated with either like Cal not Stanford).
I agree with this as far as students go but in LA SC has a LOT of non alumni support for football. Not surprisingly a lot of those same people root for UCLA in basketball.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
the Magnificent Seven
Harvard
MIT
BU
BC
Tufts
Suffolk
Northeastern

Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
Atlanta - Georgia Tech

Although, Emory is Atlanta's more academically elite institution, GT is the defacto due to the combo of academics, NCAA Division I athletics and near the heart of Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City