Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
^^your top college neighborhoods in America.
1. Back Bay Fens
2. University City/Penn/Drexel
3. Harvard Square
4. Columbia/Upper West Side, Manhattan

Honorable mention; none.
NYU is in a way better neighborhood than Columbia. The Upper West Side is rich and prestigious, but boring. Greenwich Village is far livelier, and is surrounded by better neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The 3 Most Prestigious Universities for the 21 Major CSA/PSAs (only those in Top 100 Nationally are included)
Source: National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Philadelphia CSA:
#1-University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia MSA)
#2-Drexel University (Philadelphia MSA)

17 of the Biggest 21 Cities in the US have AT LEAST 1 University Within the Top 100. Those who don't have any are: Orlando, Phoenix, Portland and Tampa
The Philadelphia CSA also includes the University of Delaware, which is ranked 75th nationally, ahead of Drexel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,379,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I definately believe that Georgia Tech is defacto in Atlanta. Followed by Emory.

There would be arguments by some in the city for Morehouse and Spelman. Both are beloved here.
GA Tech is within the city limits. Emory is not in the city limits but pretty darn close to the city limits.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
How many universities in your city crack the top 50?

Boston has 7.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

My beloved UC San Diego steadfast at #14 on the world rankings!

ARWU World University Rankings 2016 | Academic Ranking of World Universities 2016 | Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2016

Old 09-13-2016, 11:10 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
NYU is in a way better neighborhood than Columbia. The Upper West Side is rich and prestigious, but boring. Greenwich Village is far livelier, and is surrounded by better neighborhoods.

The Philadelphia CSA also includes the University of Delaware, which is ranked 75th nationally, ahead of Drexel.
Villanova entered the National Universities list this year at 50. It is No. 2 in the Philadelphia CSA.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Villanova entered the National Universities list this year at 50. It is No. 2 in the Philadelphia CSA.
Yes, that information was just released literally today, so that post was accurate at the time.

This year's new list would place UD at 3rd and knock Drexel out of the Top 3 in the Philadelphia MSA (Newark, DE is still within the Philadelphia MSA). And there are two schools that are in the NYC CSA (Princeton, Lehigh University) that are actually closer to Philadelphia, so the region is very well served.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM

313 posts, read 336,508 times
Who knows , maybe next census Mercer county may be in the Philadelphia CSA . A lot of central Jersey Pharma has pared back it's employment roles since 2000 census and the expanding Buck's research Bio med companies . I lived in Mercer county years ago and my daughter lives in Princeton and both of us think of Mercer being part of Philly area .

Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
^^your top college neighborhoods in America.
1. Back Bay Fens
2. University City/Penn/Drexel
3. Harvard Square
4. Columbia/Upper West Side, Manhattan

Honorable mention; none.
Allston is more of a college neighborhood than Back Bay, by a mile.

Harvard Square is also only kinda a college neighborhood, only because the undergrad houses are all right there. But Harvard is a pretty small school compared to others in Boston. Grad students, who greatly outnumber undergrads, live in Somerville, Allston, Brighton, or Watertown mostly. Allston, on the other hand, is unmistakably very collegey. Obviously, BU probably dominates, but students from all the universities live there too.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Who knows , maybe next census Mercer county may be in the Philadelphia CSA . A lot of central Jersey Pharma has pared back it's employment roles since 2000 census and the expanding Buck's research Bio med companies . I lived in Mercer county years ago and my daughter lives in Princeton and both of us think of Mercer being part of Philly area .
It's so close! When I lived in Philly, I used to go up to see my brother play soccer up that way all the time and I only remember it being a 45 min drive. Mentally, Princeton just felt "closer" to Philadelphia than NY. Meanwhile the Lehigh Valley (and Lehigh University) also seems more connected to Philly than NY to me. But at the end of the day, it's all about commuters.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,187,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
for metros with more than one division-1 school, which one is more associated with the city.

I think the ones closest to downtown and have the largest student body would because you would be more likely to run into them at a restaurant or at the ball park. I think prestige only helps the popular schools (tourist rarely lookup u.s. news and world report rankings).
I don't think your metric necessarily holds up across the board. Chicagoland has 5 schools in Division I, 4 of which are in the city limits, but the University of Chicago is still the most associated university with city and it's not a Division I school. Northwestern is the second most associated, and its primary undergrad campus is located outside of Chicago's city limits up in Evanston.

In terms of bumping into grads like you're talking about, you're far more likely to run into graduates from Loyola, DePaul, or UIC on a daily basis. Their sports teams all primarily suck though. Chicago really isn't a college sports town when it comes to home teams. It's frankly more so focused on all the other Big 10 grads who moved to Chicago rooting for their alma maters.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Lincoln Park/Depaul would have made honorable mention but for the fact that there's so many 20-30 somethings working and beginning their family life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City