Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Hahahahaha! Oh man. Maybe 30 years ago, but in 2020 this is not a school that markets itself to the “Everyman”.
That’s why include Umass Boston on my list. But I think Northeastern and BU are desirable colleges that any good student would aspire to go to. They don’t feel to seem so inaccessible. BC has much ore of that elitist vibe.

The actually “Everyman” schools in the Boston area are Salem State, UMASS Boston, Bridgewater State, UMASS Lowell, and UMASS Dartmouth. Not very sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 12:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston Elite: Harvard

honorable mention BC

Everyman: Northeastern

honorable mentions BU and UMass Boston

*MIT feels explicitly Cambridge and worldly...idk. Doesn’t seem to associate with the city of Boston as much as Harvard. D3 athletics also kill the pride notion
Harvard is in Cambridge not Boston...

Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Close enough.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:57 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Close enough.
Not for Bostonborn..city boundaries should be respected

Old 04-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
We’re clearly talking metro areas (‘metropolis’). This isn’t about is Cambridge distinct from Bsoton or what native Bostonians think about local boundaries. Give it a rest and keep it on the other thread.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:47 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
In LA it would be between USC and UCLA.
In Houston, it would be between U of H and Rice.
In Dallas, it would have to be SMU.
U of H for Houston. It's huge and there's multiple campuses. Rice is very small and I'd imagine most of the students are from OOS

Old 04-01-2020, 02:45 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That’s why include Umass Boston on my list. But I think Northeastern and BU are desirable colleges that any good student would aspire to go to. They don’t feel to seem so inaccessible. BC has much ore of that elitist vibe.

The actually “Everyman” schools in the Boston area are Salem State, UMASS Boston, Bridgewater State, UMASS Lowell, and UMASS Dartmouth. Not very sexy
FWIW, Temple has also made a concerted effort to up the quality of its student body in the years since I got recruitment materials from the school in the 1970s. I don't think they've quite reached the 1430* average SAT level of Northeastern, but they're in the neighborhood.

These schools may no longer be "universities for Everyman," but that was their heritage.

Architectural aside: The first buildings on both the present-day Boston University and Northeastern campuses were begun in the same year: 1938. I much prefer Northeastern's Bauhaus campus to BU's factories-with-Gothic-tack-ons.

*1430? I thought the scores on the new, improved, three-part SAT went up to 2400. Back when I was in high school, my 1450 combined (out of 1600) was good enough to get me into Harvard, Yale, Brown and Chicago.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:07 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
This is just my own experience- I live in NOLA but am from PHX area and Memphis area.
When in NOLA it really depends. Usually, folks will think you're attending Tulane or Loyola, sometimes, but rarely, UNO or Xavier.
Very few people I talk to know Tulane is in NOLA for some reason... At least when I'm visiting people in the Southwest.
For Memphis it is Memphis, followed closely by Rhodes or Ole Miss depending on where you are from/how you talk and some other factors...
For PHX, I assume it has to be ASU.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
FWIW, Temple has also made a concerted effort to up the quality of its student body in the years since I got recruitment materials from the school in the 1970s. I don't think they've quite reached the 1430* average SAT level of Northeastern, but they're in the neighborhood.

These schools may no longer be "universities for Everyman," but that was their heritage.

Architectural aside: The first buildings on both the present-day Boston University and Northeastern campuses were begun in the same year: 1938. I much prefer Northeastern's Bauhaus campus to BU's factories-with-Gothic-tack-ons.

*1430? I thought the scores on the new, improved, three-part SAT went up to 2400. Back when I was in high school, my 1450 combined (out of 1600) was good enough to get me into Harvard, Yale, Brown and Chicago.
It’s back down to 1600 so a 1430 is incredibly high. Temple like Philly is a few years behind in its transformation when compare to its ~counterpart in New England.

But let’s say an Everyman university has 20% Pell Grant students. Northeastern is 12% Pell Grant. Temple is 32%. Temple is a greater Everyman school.

The only public university in Boston city with over 20% Pell Grant students is UMASS Boston at 40%. All UMASS or State university school in the Boston metro are at least 30% Pell Grant students. None of the major private universities in the core is above 15%.

Wentworth
Simmons
Suffolk these are the schools that UMASS Boston is competing with for the Everyman school, it’s a clear winner by the arbitrary 20% Pell Grant Student standard

Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
For Chicago, for everyday Chicagoans it would probably be UIC (Univerity of Illinois Chicago), Loyola, or DePaul. In terms of rank/reputation obviously University of Chicago is top, but it's doesn't really have a "Chicago" identity like UIC/Loyola/DePaul. Northwestern (if you consider it Chicago because some of its schools- namely the medical school- are in Chicago) would be right behind Univerity of Chicago (or maybe ahead if you consider Big Ten sports), but even it doesn't really have the "Chicago" identity of the previous 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City