Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

New Orleans - Tulane University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 PM

396 posts, read 601,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
GA Tech is within the city limits. Emory is not in the city limits but pretty darn close to the city limits.
emory could very well be in the city limits in a short period of time. they want to get in on a piece of that LRT action in the clifton corridor and joining would speed that process along.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 PM

597 posts, read 666,627 times
It's really only an easy answer when there's a flagship university in a big city, such as University of Texas in Austin, Ohio State in Columbus, and University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. Or, if there's only one major university.

I still don't think we've set our the parameters of what the OP means. If it's simply highest ranked university in a city, then say so. But, would that alone make a school the "de facto" or default university of a city? I can't buy that in every instance.

But, again, everyone is throwing out answers without explaining why? Number of alums in the area? Alums as leaders/business owners in the community? University as local employer? University as community resource (programs beyond the regular student body; source of entertainment including concerts, sports, theater)? Oldest? Biggest? University-affiliated institutions like hospitals?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
the university that is most connected to a metro:
number of students and faculty that rent apartments.
busiest teaching hospital.
most subway/bus stops.
largest membership of affiliated health plan.
people pass thru the campus most often.
most often seen on tv/movies (especially not during a game).
most often seen wearing a shirt or jacket.
concert venue.
most faculty, students, alums you run into out-and-about.
radio station.

particularly for bos-wash.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-21-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
I think UT is the flagship college of Austin.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 AM

19 posts, read 25,773 times
Bay Area - Stanford

Berkeley is second

Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 14,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For such a large area, I find the university/college options here rather limited. There are many options, but most of them are smaller private schools. I guess UTA, UTD, and UNT (although this is bordering on being outside of the metro) are the main options for large state schools, but UTA and UTD have very different atmospheres than campuses like UT-Austin and A&M. I work at UTA and most of our students commute from off-campus, or live at home with parents. It almost has a community college feel.

When I think about my hometown of Raleigh, NC, it's amazing to think that we have UNC, Duke, and NCSU.
although my opportunities are limited these days, I love being on campus at UTA. It is its own place, and feels good to me. Beautifully landscaped... Nice dense feel...always a good walk. Yes, it is a state metro university, so they have commuters like most other public metro schools and they seem pretty unapologetic about it. However, over 5,000 students live on campus with many more on the edge or area in private housing. I had a wonderful undergrad experience there. (Graduate school at UT Austin. Great experience, too, but not over-awed.)

Old 10-22-2016, 04:29 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Bay is Stanford and UCB

LA is USC UCLA

SAC is UC D

Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 PM

313 posts, read 336,735 times
For Philly it's most definitely The University of Pennsylvania . Penn was ranked 4th in the U.S. by the WSJ/Times Higher Ed. rankings for 2017 . https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
^ this thread is little about scholastic rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City