Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I definately believe that Georgia Tech is defacto in Atlanta. Followed by Emory.

There would be arguments by some in the city for Morehouse and Spelman. Both are beloved here.
i mite be exposing my ignorance but having visited atlanta, i never even heard of emory before this thread.
i remember walking past georgia state university somewhere near downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 10:19 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
i heard on the news, the city of philadelphia is using temple facilities/arena to house hospital patients during the pandemic.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:56 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i heard on the news, the city of philadelphia is using temple facilities/arena to house hospital patients during the pandemic.
They're turning the arena into a makeshift hospital as we speak.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
the university that is most connected to a metro:
number of students and faculty that rent apartments.
busiest teaching hospital.
most subway/bus stops.
largest membership of affiliated health plan.
people pass thru the campus most often.
most often seen on tv/movies (especially not during a game).
most often seen wearing a shirt or jacket.
concert venue.
most faculty, students, alums you run into out-and-about.
radio station.

particularly for bos-wash.
One of the things I note about the five major Northeast metropolises is that all of them have at least one elite university and at least one University for Everyman. The latter of these is a school that was founded specifically so that working people could attend it and get a decent education that fit their (schedule|budget).

Boston, natch, has more than one of each. Elite: Harvard and MIT. Everyman: Northeastern, and kinda-sorta Boston University.

New York - Elite: Columbia, with NYU an honorable mention. Everyman: City University of New York.

Philadelphia - Elite: Penn. Everyman: Temple.

Baltimore - Elite: Johns Hopkins. Everyman: UM-Baltimore County. U of Baltimore doesn't quite fit. Bonus: Morgan State, a large HBCU within the city limits.

Washington - Elite: Georgetown. Everyman: UDC. (GWU and American University are several notches above that plane.)

But using your criteria, the school in Philadelphia that checks off the most of those boxes is Penn. Temple's teaching hospital is busy, and its location gives Temple a total of four subway stops serving parts of the campus (Cecil B. Moore, Susquehanna-Dauphin, Allegheny, Erie), but Penn's is even busier and more prestigious, and Temple doesn't have the health system Penn has. Penn's campus-adjacent neighborhood is more closely tied to the university than Temple's is as well: sheesh, the residents insisted the university's name go on the neighborhood grade school it built and supports along with the School District of Philadelphia.

But: The Liacouras Center has no equivalent at Penn, you see more people hereabouts sporting Temple gear than Penn gear, you're more likely to run into a Temple grad out and about than a Penn grad (especially once you're in the outlying neighborhoods), and the two university radio stations are both widely listened to: WXPN pioneered an entire format that many other public radio stations have adopted, while Temple's WRTI is the only place on the local radio dial where you can hear classical and jazz music.

I'm not sure whether more people pass through Penn's campus than Temple's. Did you mean non-students? I don't think either of the two campuses has had many starring roles on TV or in movies. But Temple does - make that did - have Bill Cosby as its most famous alumnus, and that gave the school wide national exposure.

So maybe it's a wash here, or even a slight edge in Temple's favor.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
the university that is most connected to a metro:
number of students and faculty that rent apartments.
busiest teaching hospital.
most subway/bus stops.
largest membership of affiliated health plan.
people pass thru the campus most often.
most often seen on tv/movies (especially not during a game).
most often seen wearing a shirt or jacket.
concert venue.
most faculty, students, alums you run into out-and-about.
radio station.

particularly for bos-wash.
i'd argue Howard for DC.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
^^^^

In Boston, Northeastern was an unselective school 50 years ago. Not now. “Everyman” needs top high school grades and a strong SAT score to get admitted. 1450. Not quite at the level of Harvard or MIT but it takes near-Ivy credentials. The unselective school is UMass-Boston. A fairly pedestrian 1130 average SAT score.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
and at least one University for Everyman. The latter of these is a school that was founded specifically so that working people could attend it and get a decent education that fit their (schedule|budget).

Boston, natch, has more than one of each. Elite: Harvard and MIT. Everyman: Northeastern,
Hahahahaha! Oh man. Maybe 30 years ago, but in 2020 this is not a school that markets itself to the “Everyman”.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:25 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Definitely UW. I think I've met one person here who went to Seattle U, and no one who's gone to Seattle Pacific U, UW-Bothell, or Bellevue College.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
UCD for Sacramento...

Old 03-31-2020, 12:50 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Boston Elite: Harvard

honorable mention BC

Everyman: Northeastern

honorable mentions BU and UMass Boston

*MIT feels explicitly Cambridge and worldly...idk. Doesn’t seem to associate with the city of Boston as much as Harvard. D3 athletics also kill the pride notion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City