Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Overall Suburbs
Atlanta 11 8.15%
Boston 14 10.37%
Chicago 16 11.85%
Dallas 14 10.37%
Denver 5 3.70%
Minneapolis 5 3.70%
Philadelphia 25 18.52%
San Fransico 16 11.85%
Seattle 7 5.19%
Washington, DC 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM

105 posts, read 90,933 times

Advertisements

I just left Atlanta today (driving to FL) after visiting.

Atlanta suburbs reminded me of Philadelphia. Super lush and green. Still take Philadelphia though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I say Philly.

It's superior commuter rail network, which is now going on 200-years old, has greatly shaped the suburban areas. A large number of Philadelphia's suburbs have, for well over a century, developed quaint downtown/Main Street-type areas clustered tightly near their train station. This opens up the areas beyond these cores to more woodsy, rustic residential areas. The famed "Main Line" is merely a series of planned wealthy communities the old Pennsylvania Railroad established along its string of train stations in the mid-19th Century. Others like Doylestown, Swarthmore, Hatboro, Media, Landsdale, and on and on and on share these traits. Because of this huge commuter train system, Philadelphia's local freeway system is small and underdeveloped compared to even cities half its size... and to me that's a good thing. 2-lane country roads dominate in suburban Philly -- loaded with country pubs, inns and farms -- and oftentimes its hard to conceptualize that the nation's 5th largest city is just a half hour (or so) drive (or train ride) away.

This doesn't mean Philly doesn't have its share of highways, malls, sprawl and cookie cutter cul-de-sac development... It most certainly does. But that 'junk' is far less in suburban Philly than in your typical American big city.
Hear hear. Philadelphias suburbs are exquisite, especially right now in spring. None better for beauty, tradition, regional character. Part of it to me is the romance of the railroads, Phila having been a center of railroading and having built great rail infrastructure back in the day with lots of electrified lines and great suburban service. It has also long since connected the two old center city rail hubs, Penn Center and Reading Terminal, something they're only beginning to argue about doing in Boston!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:33 PM

105 posts, read 90,933 times
Can't forget that Philadelphia is the garden capital of America.

Over 30 public gardens in the metro. The suburbs there are ****ing gorgeous.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Just wanted to chime in and say I've changed my opinion regarding Philly suburbs. I drove through Bala Cynwyd the other day and thought it was awesome. I still sort of stand by what I said about Philly's suburbs not being sprawly enough (I know that sounds weird but it's true) Either way I loved all the hills the green and the old homes. As a whole I still prefer Atlanta, D.C and Dallas. But Philly may have moved up to 4 for me.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
The thing about philly suburbs is that it's inner suburbs, it's true suburbs are basically completely overlooked in these comparisons, and that's not a slight on the outer town oriented suburbs that dot the region. They are very well connected to the city and are full of amenities. The descriptions on this site are always of the chester, bucks, and upper montco variety with rolling hills and whatnot, but that is a completely different element from most of delco, and the lower part of montco which manage to be well developed without being bland or cookie cutter.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
The Northeast is abundant in these types of suburbs (this is Princeton, NJ ten miles from metro Philadelphia).

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3819...2!8i6656?hl=en
This looks exactly like Atlanta!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Are we talking true suburbs, or urban areas that have bled over from the city? If the latter, then you have places like Arlington, Bethesda, Brookline, Cambridge that aren't really suburbs in the true sense, and shouldn't really count.

For true, more than 5 miles from the city center suburbs, I'd go with Seattle - Kirkland, Woodinville, SF - Mill Valley, Walnut Creek, Lamorinda, San Mateo, and Boston - Swampscott/Mahblehead, Ipswich, Hingham. DC outside-the-beltway suburbs are super boring, Philly Main Line is kinda strong, Atlanta OTP is like DC OTB, makes me want to go to sleep.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The historical assets/charm of suburban DC pale in comparison to suburban Philadelphia, so I think that's a glaring difference between the two.
Cannot believe you are not impressed by the charm of Reston Town Center. There is plenty of history there, the Clyde's hasn't changed its menu since 1998. And I love the "midtown" Starbucks, cleverly placed between the downtown CVS and the Upper West Side Panera. And c'mon, the mall cops patrolling the place in walkie talkies? That evokes a common American history experienced in 1988 from places as diverse as the Mall at Paramus to the Beverly Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City