Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Overall Suburbs
Atlanta 11 8.15%
Boston 14 10.37%
Chicago 16 11.85%
Dallas 14 10.37%
Denver 5 3.70%
Minneapolis 5 3.70%
Philadelphia 25 18.52%
San Fransico 16 11.85%
Seattle 7 5.19%
Washington, DC 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Some (certainly not all) D.C. people just can not stand any comparison to Atlanta at all, in any category. They consider it an insult.
Truth is I actually grew up in the D.C area. Colesville to be exact. While there's a lot I like about the area, there are some major negatives to the DMV which people on this forum seem to conveniently ignore.
1. The interstate system is not good, some of this is due to the way D.C was designed way back when. But still the lack of access to D.C from the Maryland side is pathetic, and the Virginia side is even worse because those bridges are always packed. Yeah metro public transportation blah blah blah. The fact is many people prefer driving to PT.
2. The cost of living, I've addressed this.
3. The snob factor. Yeah it's an issue. I can't tolerate snobs.
4. The skyline or lack there of.
5. The weather, not the worst but not the best either. Seasonal extremes are the norm it's also not uncommon to miss out on Spring and Fall if you know what I mean.
6. Being surrounded by politics. Many people will put D.C in a negative light due to the government. Sad but true.
Don't get me wrong D.C is great in many ways, but I don't get the people on CD who think it's the best thing ever. I just don't get these people at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 03:20 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Truth is I actually grew up in the D.C area. Colesville to be exact. While there's a lot I like about the area, there are some major negatives to the DMV which people on this forum seem to conveniently ignore.
1. The interstate system is not good, some of this is due to the way D.C was designed way back when. But still the lack of access to D.C from the Maryland side is pathetic, and the Virginia side is even worse because those bridges are always packed. Yeah metro public transportation blah blah blah. The fact is many people prefer driving to PT.
2. The cost of living, I've addressed this.
3. The snob factor. Yeah it's an issue. I can't tolerate snobs.
4. The skyline or lack there of.
5. The weather, not the worst but not the best either. Seasonal extremes are the norm it's also not uncommon to miss out on Spring and Fall if you know what I mean.
6. Being surrounded by politics. Many people will put D.C in a negative light due to the government. Sad but true.
Don't get me wrong D.C is great in many ways, but I don't get the people on CD who think it's the best thing ever. I just don't get these people at all.
1. How is the interstate system any better or worse then Atlanta? It seems as though public transportation is not much of a factor for you but DC's suburbs are covered by a much superior system then the 2 line Marta.
2. Yes, it costs more to live in the DMV area but the area also has a higher average salary and more higher wage jobs.
3. That's just your personal opinion.
4. Atlanta has a better skyline but this is about the burbs so DC wins considering Silver Spring, Arlington, Rosslyn, Tysons Corner.
5. Really? Is this worth mentioning? Again this is personal preference.
6. It's the the Capital... Im not understanding your argument.

Also about schools since you mentioned it earlier.https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ublic-schools/
1, 2, 3, 7 and 10 are all DC suburbs. Where's Atlanta?

Old 04-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
1. How is the interstate system any better or worse then Atlanta? It seems as though public transportation is not much of a factor for you but DC's suburbs are covered by a much superior system then the 2 line Marta.
2. Yes, it costs more to live in the DMV area but the area also has a higher average salary and more higher wage jobs.
3. That's just your personal opinion.
4. Atlanta has a better skyline but this is about the burbs so DC wins considering Silver Spring, Arlington, Rosslyn, Tysons Corner.
5. Really? Is this worth mentioning? Again this is personal preference.
6. It's the the Capital... Im not understanding your argument.

Also about schools since you mentioned it earlier.https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ublic-schools/
1, 2, 3, 7 and 10 are all DC suburbs. Where's Atlanta?
Whatever dude. I really don't care at this point. I have no idea why you got so upset at me suggesting D.C and Atlanta's burbs are on equal footing. D.C offers a lot to a lot of people. I mention negatives to it. Keep loving to D.C all you want, it's a good place but far from perfect.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Whatever dude. I really don't care at this point. I have no idea why you got so upset at me suggesting D.C and Atlanta's burbs are on equal footing. D.C offers a lot to a lot of people. I mention negatives to it. Keep loving to D.C all you want, it's a good place but far from perfect.
Dude, I was never upset nor did I say DC was perfect in any way. Statistically DC burbs and Atlanta burbs are on different tiers. Your thought on them being a toss up based on suburbs is just incorrect unless you mean specifically for your personal preferences only.

I'm more surprised SF burbs don't get more praise considering it incorporates places like Santa Rosa, Napa and Walnut Creek.

Last edited by Ebck120; 04-09-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM

368 posts, read 453,819 times
The Philadelphia metroplitan area is my favorite area, both the city itself & suburbs, so that'll definetly be MY number one choice. Of the cities on this list I also like the suburbs of DC, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, & Dallas.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Dude, I was never upset nor did I say DC was perfect in any way. Statistically DC burbs and Atlanta burbs are on different tiers. Your thought on them being a toss up based on suburbs is just incorrect unless you mean specifically for your personal preferences only.

I'm more surprised SF burbs don't get more praise considering it incorporates places like Santa Rosa, Napa and Walnut Creek.
No but you act as if the D.C burb being better than the Atlanta burbs is a fact........which it isn't much of it is subjective.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro;p%
No but you act as if the D.C burb being better than the Atlanta burbs is a fact........which it isn't much of it is subjective.
Statistically it is a fact and you have yet shown prove otherwise.. I prefer Tampa burbs over DC'S but I'm not ignorant enough as you are to state the reverse as a fact.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
I would say Los Angeles number 1, but since that is not an option I'm going to say Chicago

Old 04-10-2017, 07:03 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
This is no shot on any of the areas, all of them are generally well-off desirable areas...however I vote for Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC, due to the fact they are among the oldest and most established areas in the country. Those regions have gorgeous towns and villages with architectural variety spanning hundreds of years, you don't find that in southern cities, its very sterile and rather bland architecture and too much tract housing.

Also, a note for Philadelphia...natural stone is found in abundance in Southeastern PA, so many homes, especially in wealthy areas are REAL stone, which is the most stunning choice of façade material in my opinion, not as much stucco or vinyl, you find a ton of that down south.

I know people love to make jabs at Philadelphia (city), but its suburbs are 100% top tier along side with NYC, DC, Boston, and Chicago.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Chicago's North Shore railroad suburbs get my vote. With the exception of the climate, they're just about as good as it gets in the U.S. in my opinion.
I agree. To me it's a tie between Chicago and Philadelphia, as I love the little urban villages at the center of a typical suburb in those cities (complete with those adorable little railroad depots!). If NYC was in the poll, I'd have to give its' suburbs props for this as well.

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-10-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City