Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Overall Suburbs
Atlanta 11 8.15%
Boston 14 10.37%
Chicago 16 11.85%
Dallas 14 10.37%
Denver 5 3.70%
Minneapolis 5 3.70%
Philadelphia 25 18.52%
San Fransico 16 11.85%
Seattle 7 5.19%
Washington, DC 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The historical assets/charm of suburban DC pale in comparison to suburban Philadelphia, so I think that's a glaring difference between the two.

The DC region simply matured at a much later time, and the lion's share of its growth occurred post-WWII. Parallels can certainly be drawn between the historic nature of the Boston and Philly areas, but it's much harder with the DC area.

Then I'd had to simply say you're not aware of the architectural vernacular that surrounds Philadelphia. Even if it doesn't tickle your fancy, it's simply factually incorrect to assert that the region doesn't have a unique architectural heritage. From prominent architects like Frank Furness and Horace Trumbauer, to a preponderance of colonial-era and loads of masonry and rowhouse architecture, I've yet to come across another region outside of the Philly area that evokes the same look and feel architecturally.

I'd also add that the greatest appeal of the Philly area that you may be undercounting in the fact that it's received the most votes is that, in my mind, has the greatest balance of any major metro area. I'll tick off the reasons why:

- Overall, especially to most of the rest of the US, the area is very well-planned and is well-prepared to accommodate growth
- It is extremely dedicated to open space preservation and has a fantastic gardening tradition (Philadelphia is America's Garden Capital)
- It maintains an "old world" village-y feel (which, counter to what another posted indicated, STRENGTHENS community)
- It has a very high income-to-COL ratio which (despite your implication that places like Camden or Chester are not extreme exceptions) provides a sense of widespread affluence.

To me, the Philly area has a soul in a way that most places do not. Places like DC are more modernized and fast-growing for sure, but there's very little identity or sense of place.

I value areas with as little "generica" and as much uniqueness as possible, and for that Philadelphia is among the top contenders.
I don't dispute your opinions or anyone else's for that matter, but they are merely that "opinions". The greater Washington area has plenty of historical significance tied to colonial times as well as Civil War times. Enough to consider it a factor in the rankings and to compliment the other things in which DC blows Philly out of the water in. I've been to Philadelphia and its suburbs on multiple occasions. I didn't even say they were bad, just not as nice a Washington's. I honestly think most of the comments on here are from homers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I don't dispute your opinions or anyone else's for that matter, but they are merely that "opinions". The greater Washington area has plenty of historical significance tied to colonial times as well as Civil War times. Enough to consider it a factor in the rankings and to compliment the other things in which DC blows Philly out of the water in. I've been to Philadelphia and its suburbs on multiple occasions. I didn't even say they were bad, just not as nice a Washington's. I honestly think most of the comments on here are from homers.
Fair enough. I'm from the Philly area and have spent several years in the DC area, and now live in the Boston area. I wasn't commenting from the standpoint of a "homer," although it is my native region, so much as in the capacity of someone who's actually lived in the areas I spoke of and have objectively considered what they all offer. As someone who prioritizes different aspects, as mentioned above, I found Philly's suburbs to be "nicer" overall specifically compared to DC.

As they say, to each their own.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Quote:
Why are you angry about Philly being ahead in the poll you designed ? If you wanted D.C. to win this poll you should not of included Philly or Dallas .

Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Why are you angry about Philly being ahead in the poll you designed ? If you wanted D.C. to win this poll you should not of included Philly or Dallas .
He doesn't sound angry at all.... it's more like he had personal preferences without stating outright he didn't like a specific place and then people like you came out of the woodworks..

Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
No its sounds like he designed an opinion poll and when the desired results did not happen he called the people who cast a vote for Philly homers . End of comments for me on this dumb poll .

Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
No its sounds like he designed an opinion poll and when the desired results did not happen he called the people who cast a vote for Philly homers . End of comments for me on this dumb poll .
Please post his comments that back your statement. From what I'm reading, he just stated his preferences and others said he was wrong or suggested otherwise and finally accepted that this is only his opinion. I also dont see anywhere he ever said Philly or any other cities suburbs were bad in any way besides his personal preference in the types of suburbs he likes. No need to be all sensitive about it.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you are experiencing anger in my posts? All I said was I was surprised Philly was winning, is that so hard to understand. I included Philly because I thought it had nice suburbs, so why would I hate on it or those who voted for it? Makes no sense

I did however refer to the people who responded to my post with backlash as "homers". Not the people who voted for Philly, but the people who rebuked my opinion. Sorry that I used that offensive language on this forum.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 AM

105 posts, read 90,958 times
Quote:
I don't know how you are experiencing anger in my posts? All I said was I was surprised Philly was winning, is that so hard to understand. I included Philly because I thought it had nice suburbs, so why would I hate on it or those who voted for it? Makes no sense

I did however refer to the people who responded to my post with backlash as "homers". Not the people who voted for Philly, but the people who rebuked my opinion. Sorry that I used that offensive language on this forum.

I'm not from there, but it's one of my top 5 favorite cities and the suburbs there I have always loved.

People can hate on the sports fans there and whatever else (because people just love to hate on things) but the suburbs you can't. Among the best for sure, and that goes for the entire country. The top rated school districts in the country are also in Philadelphia. Not New York. Not Boston. Not Washington. Not San Francisco. Philadelphia!

I do disagree about the history aspect though. DC suburbs don't compare historically to Philadelphia or even Boston for that matter. DC was a planned city after the Revolution. Philly and Boston were there for it.

I love all the Northeast suburbs and metro areas, but if I had to rank them, Philadelphia would probably be first.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
I'm not from there, but it's one of my top 5 favorite cities and the suburbs there I have always loved.

People can hate on the sports fans there and whatever else (because people just love to hate on things) but the suburbs you can't. Among the best for sure, and that goes for the entire country. The top rated school districts in the country are also in Philadelphia. Not New York. Not Boston. Not Washington. Not San Francisco. Philadelphia!

I do disagree about the history aspect though. DC suburbs don't compare historically to Philadelphia or even Boston for that matter. DC was a planned city after the Revolution. Philly and Boston were there for it.

I love all the Northeast suburbs and metro areas, but if I had to rank them, Philadelphia would probably be first.
I was referring to the aspect of the numerous existing towns and villages around DC that predate DC itself. Most of those towns carry history back to the early colonial times similar to both Philly and Boston. You may be right as to Boston and Philadelphia having more historical impact, but I place other variables alongside the history of the greater DC metro and I credit Washington with having nicer suburbs overall. One restaurants might have the best burgers, and another the best fries, but I am going to go to the one that does both well and has milkshakes!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
I say Philly.

It's superior commuter rail network, which is now going on 200-years old, has greatly shaped the suburban areas. A large number of Philadelphia's suburbs have, for well over a century, developed quaint downtown/Main Street-type areas clustered tightly near their train station. This opens up the areas beyond these cores to more woodsy, rustic residential areas. The famed "Main Line" is merely a series of planned wealthy communities the old Pennsylvania Railroad established along its string of train stations in the mid-19th Century. Others like Doylestown, Swarthmore, Hatboro, Media, Landsdale, and on and on and on share these traits. Because of this huge commuter train system, Philadelphia's local freeway system is small and underdeveloped compared to even cities half its size... and to me that's a good thing. 2-lane country roads dominate in suburban Philly -- loaded with country pubs, inns and farms -- and oftentimes its hard to conceptualize that the nation's 5th largest city is just a half hour (or so) drive (or train ride) away.

This doesn't mean Philly doesn't have its share of highways, malls, sprawl and cookie cutter cul-de-sac development... It most certainly does. But that 'junk' is far less in suburban Philly than in your typical American big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City