Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Overall Suburbs
Atlanta 11 8.15%
Boston 14 10.37%
Chicago 16 11.85%
Dallas 14 10.37%
Denver 5 3.70%
Minneapolis 5 3.70%
Philadelphia 25 18.52%
San Fransico 16 11.85%
Seattle 7 5.19%
Washington, DC 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:50 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the median household income is around $61,000 and the population is 80% white. Typically, that would be considered working class (or a lot more favorable for the working class) in major east coast metro areas.

In any case, you get a lot for the money there in my opinion.

These numbers are slightly dated for both counties (2010ish), but a quick comparison.

Montgomery County, PA median income ~$76k, median household ~90k

Fairfield County, CT median income ~$81, median household ~$100k

Real estate for the most part is more affordable in Montgomery County, but I would hardly classify Montco. as working class, if that is the case, then Fairfield County, CT is working class as well. And considering both counties have close to 1M people, those are pretty high median numbers.

Montgomery County PA is a large county, once you get out to the far western edge, it is still quite rural compared to the communities closer to Philadelphia. Don't forget most of the Main Line is located in Montgomery County, some of the wealthiest communities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I am rather surprised by how the poll has turned out. I wouldn't have expected Philadelphia to receive so many votes, and Seattle and Denver to receive do few.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I am rather surprised by how the poll has turned out. I wouldn't have expected Philadelphia to receive so many votes, and Seattle and Denver to receive do few.

Why not? I am guessing you are unfamiliar with the Philadelphia suburbs?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Why not? I am guessing you are unfamiliar with the Philadelphia suburbs?
I'm more familiar with them than most of the other cities' suburbs. I just feel Philadelphia was more on the bottom half of the given options. In order, I would vote Washington, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
I'm more familiar with them than most of the other cities' suburbs. I just feel Philadelphia was more on the bottom half of the given options. In order, I would vote Washington, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis.
It's all opinion of course, but any reason why?

Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's all opinion of course, but any reason why?
Washington's suburbs have always inspired me. You have a collection of historical sites, beautiful natural qualities, and continued growth. I am also more familiar with Washington's than any other city on the list. Boston comes in second for similar reasons, added one of my favorite features the New England coastline. Seattle has the access to nature that I love, the coastal/water aspect, and unique architecture IMO. San Francisco for scenery, architecture, history, and recent developments in technology. Atlanta simply has nice developments outside their city core, and I like the people there. Denver comes across as a city with newer built suburbs that are well planned. Philly has nice suburbs, but I also know that it has some that might as well be suburbs of Damascus. Dallas is obviously newer, but just to bland for my taste. Chicago's I have never visited (with the exception of O'Hare) and I don't know enough about them to rank them higher. Minneapolis is a place I've never visited, but I couldn't imagine that it would be above any of the other cities on the list.

So there is my reasoning.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Washington's suburbs have always inspired me. You have a collection of historical sites, beautiful natural qualities, and continued growth. I am also more familiar with Washington's than any other city on the list. Boston comes in second for similar reasons, added one of my favorite features the New England coastline. Seattle has the access to nature that I love, the coastal/water aspect, and unique architecture IMO. San Francisco for scenery, architecture, history, and recent developments in technology. Atlanta simply has nice developments outside their city core, and I like the people there. Denver comes across as a city with newer built suburbs that are well planned. Philly has nice suburbs, but I also know that it has some that might as well be suburbs of Damascus. Dallas is obviously newer, but just to bland for my taste. Chicago's I have never visited (with the exception of O'Hare) and I don't know enough about them to rank them higher. Minneapolis is a place I've never visited, but I couldn't imagine that it would be above any of the other cities on the list.

So there is my reasoning.
Thanks! Do both San Fran and Seattle have suburban architecture that's all that unique? More unique than Philly? I'm not familiar with their architecture at all outside of the city.

Also, what history is unique in San Fran that surpasses Philly's?

Old 04-12-2017, 06:54 AM

105 posts, read 90,958 times
Quote:

If you've been to all of these suburbs, it's not a surprise.

Philadelphia's really is one of the best. I love them. Perfect blend of lush green and colonial historic homes and stone too. They're absolutely awesome suburbs loaded with charm.

I do believe the Northeast is the best. New York's and Washington's are up there with Philadelphia's as well.

I think the West Coast ones lack the charm, even though I love them too, it's just different. And I know them quite well out West because I have family in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Every city you mentioned has its good and bad suburban areas. And the bad suburban areas of Philadelphia are very isolated and not widespread.

As for architecture, history, aesthetic appeal, I am very confused why you think Philadelphia lacks that? I have travelled around the area of every city you mentioned except Minneapolis, and I would rank Philadelphia, Boston, and Chicago in the top for the reasons mentioned above.

The towns and villages you see scattered throughout Delaware, Chester, Montgomery, and Bucks counties as well as the unique architecture that spans over centuries, rolling hills, protected park land, and dozens of historical sites are things you simply cannot find in a vast majority suburbs in other cities. Atlanta and Dallas may be shinier and newer, but they are bland and sterile.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM

105 posts, read 90,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Every city you mentioned has its good and bad suburban areas. And the bad suburban areas of Philadelphia are very isolated and not widespread.

As for architecture, history, aesthetic appeal, I am very confused why you think Philadelphia lacks that? I have travelled around the area of every city you mentioned except Minneapolis, and I would rank Philadelphia, Boston, and Chicago in the top for the reasons mentioned above.

The towns and villages you see scattered throughout Delaware, Chester, Montgomery, and Bucks counties as well as the unique architecture that spans over centuries, rolling hills, protected park land, and dozens of historical sites are things you simply cannot find in a vast majority suburbs in other cities. Atlanta and Dallas may be shinier and newer, but they are bland and sterile.

Spot on 100%.

Philadelphia can be beaten up by the media for their insane sports fans and being second fiddle to New York (much like Boston too), but when it comes to suburbs, they simply can't knock them.

Philadelphia is old money. Their suburbs are simply awesome.

Most others around the country don't compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City