Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is most likely to get surpassed or at least pushed this century?
Mexico City 6 6.25%
New York 36 37.50%
Toronto 54 56.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

Mexico City, New York, or Toronto: Which one is most likely to get surpassed or at least pushed this century?

Mexico City, New York, and Toronto are each the #1 city in each of their respective countries of Mexico, the United States, and Canada.

However, the exact extent that they are dominant in their respective countries remains questionable and subject to debate. Given what you know of the three cities, which city will have the hardest time maintaining its #1 status in its country this century? This doesn't necessarily mean that any of them get surpassed but just which one gets pushed the hardest by whatever the #2 city is in each of their countries. All 3 of these cities own a gauntlet of factors that make them the undisputed #1 in their country, but what are the chances of that diminishing in the future as other cities steal more shares from the national pie?

Feel free to use quantifiable factors such as population, economy, influence on social trends, influence on politics, trade, concentration of wealth, or overall reputation and/or branding as methods for this discussion. You can use metropolitan area for some of the factors if needed, or you can just do whatever, makes no difference to me really.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
On a personal note, I would go with Mexico City being the least likely to get surpassed by any other city in Mexico. The only way I can see that happening is if a meteor fell from outer space onto Mexico City, thus eradicating every bit and trace of the city in its entirety and one of either Guadalajara, Monterrey, or Puebla inheriting all of Mexico City's functions. Mexico City is just too far ahead of the #2 city in Mexico, just too far ahead and in almost every single facet at that.

In contrast to the situation in Mexico, I can't really distinguish the situation enough for Canada and the United States. For instance, New York is #1 in so many ways in the United States but not number one in every way and the gap between it and Los Angeles is 5 million people and shrinking each year by a little. However, despite that New York maintains a GDP that's just shy of being nearly 2X Los Angeles' which indicates that it is in no threat of being surpassed in stature in the United States, even if the population gap between New York and Los Angeles continues to narrow further into the future.

Toronto is interesting, it is the most recent of the three to take over its country and it still remains questionable to what extent Toronto has become this force that influences and drives most of Canada. I believe it was the 1970s when Toronto displaced Montreal to become Canada's #1 and in the time period since then it has continued putting distance between itself and Montreal. However, no telling if that's enough for Toronto to be safe and not have to deal with the threat of being surpassed one day.

I guess it begs asking, is Los Angeles more of a formidable foe for New York than Montreal is of Toronto, or is the situation in reverse where Montreal is a more formidable foe against Toronto than Los Angeles is against New York?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Monterrey is really coming up but it will not be passing up Mexico City any time soon, I do see it passing up Guadalajara into the #2 spot.

New York city is not only the #1 city in the US but #1 in the world. No way is LA or Chicago passing it up anytime soon.

That leaves Toronto, perhaps one day soon Vancouver could pass it up.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:23 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
I don't think it's very likely at all for any of the three North American countries. The factors that went in to making Mexico City, Toronto, and NYC what they aren't likely to repeat themselves in the future.

The only way it could happen is through some sort of massive annexation that would be seen as patently ridiculous. For example, the city that could it's way in theory to being larger than NYC is Los Angeles (it isn't at all politically viable) and they would have to annex most of Los Angeles county's 4058 square miles.

So yeah, I don't think it's likely at all.

What is more likely though is that something catastrophic happens that causes people to leave one of those cities en masse, thus causing the second largest city in that country to become #1.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
I don’t think it’s likely at all, but I see NYC as having the largest prospect of being pushed to second. Again, though, extremely unlikely.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Toronto, NYC then Mexico City

Old 03-09-2018, 03:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,059 times
No one's passing NYC or Mexico City anytime soon. Toronto is already pretty closely followed by Montreal and Vancouver, so it's not like it is dominant.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 799,361 times
LA will surpass NYC in the next few decades.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
LA will surpass NYC in the next few decades.
LOL anything’s possible, I don’t know why I bother.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't think it's very likely at all for any of the three North American countries. The factors that went in to making Mexico City, Toronto, and NYC what they aren't likely to repeat themselves in the future.

The only way it could happen is through some sort of massive annexation that would be seen as patently ridiculous. For example, the city that could it's way in theory to being larger than NYC is Los Angeles (it isn't at all politically viable) and they would have to annex most of Los Angeles county's 4058 square miles.

So yeah, I don't think it's likely at all.

What is more likely though is that something catastrophic happens that causes people to leave one of those cities en masse, thus causing the second largest city in that country to become #1.
Yes. The only realistic scenario is some natural disaster or other climate-related event such as rising sea levels, or maybe a combination of both. I do think that NYC is most at risk geographically than the other 2. NYC is built on a series of islands that sit directly on the ocean and various other bodies of water. Rising sea levels are going to be a huge challenge for NY in the future. And we’re prone to hurricanes too which doesn’t help with that.

Mexico City is at risk for earthquakes. Toronto seems like a place that is very safe from natural disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City