Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inaccurate stereotypes?
New York 8 4.94%
Los Angeles 16 9.88%
Washington D.C 9 5.56%
Detroit 22 13.58%
Boston 7 4.32%
Atlanta 20 12.35%
Seattle 4 2.47%
Portland 1 0.62%
Buffalo 2 1.23%
Chicago 30 18.52%
Houston 10 6.17%
Miami 3 1.85%
San Francisco 2 1.23%
Pittsburgh 5 3.09%
Other (Specify) 23 14.20%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:50 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I didn’t know Chicago has a stereotype. What is it?
Hot dogs, beer guts and Da Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhQQnEgFck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:06 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
El Paso suffers from an old border town stereotype while it's one of the safest cities to live in.
It has great climate and a low cost of living

Old 08-11-2018, 09:35 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Hot dogs, beer guts and Da Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhQQnEgFck
This is pretty outdated though; there's hardly any working-class whites in the city anymore.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
This is pretty outdated though; there's hardly any working-class whites in the city anymore.
That's why it's a stereotype.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That's why it's a stereotype.
Well no, that's actually not why. At one time it would've been somewhat valid. A more contemporary stereotype might be a lakeview dudebro, for instance.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
New York.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:19 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
New York pedestrians are less aggressive than I thought. As a visitor, I find myself consistently the first to jaywalk and generally faster than most despite being from a mid-sized West Coast city.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I spent two days in Philadelphia earlier this week, and the city didn't seem as dirty as so many people proclaim it is. And no, I didn't just spend time in Center City either; I drove through Northeast, North and West Philadelphia too. In fact, the only areas of the city that I didn't spend any time in were Northwest and Southwest Philadelphia.

Northeast Philadelphia seemed to be more car-focused than the rest of the city, and high-maintenance urbanists would surely complain that the main commercial drag on Frankford Avenue looks "tacky," but nonetheless, it was built on a grid, walkable, and had plenty of vitality and pedestrian traffic. In fact, Northeast Philadelphia is proof that pedestrians and cars can coexist without punishing one or the other.

North Philadelphia was the most blighted area of the city that I saw, and ironically, the areas near Fairmount Park looked to be the worst of all, with lots of dilapidated houses, seedy-looking restaurants and convenience stores, and one huge abandoned factory or warehouse that I saw. Roosevelt Boulevard wasn't very grand either. In fact, it's a much bigger psychological barrier than I-95 is. At least pedestrians can walk over or under I-95.

West Philadelphia seems to be gentrifying. The University City area is like a college town in the middle of a large city. West of there, property maintenance seems to gradually decrease the farther away from the universities you go, though it never deteriorates into outright blight. Regardless of property maintenance, West Philadelphia seems to be much more architecturally significant than North or Northeast Philadelphia.

In terms of architectural significance, I'd say that Center City (including Old City) has the most, with South and West Philadelphia both being a step above North Philadelphia, which itself is a step above Northeast Philadelphia. I can't judge Northwest or Southwest Philadelphia, though, because I still haven't been to either of those parts of the city.

Outside of the city, the Pennsylvania suburbs are generally more interesting and appealing than the New Jersey suburbs, and there seems to be an inverse relationship between wealth and proximity to the Delaware River.

There's a clear and continuous corridor of wealth north and west of the city along and near U.S. 30, U.S. 202 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, generally from Coatesville in the west to Willow Grove in the east, and centered on King of Prussia. In fact, it turns out that Chester County is the richest county in Pennsylvania by median household income, and one of the 25 richest in the United States.

As for the suburbs closer to the river, the more estuarine the river, the worse the suburbs near it. More simply put, the suburbs in "Lower Bucks" are more desirable than the suburbs in "Lower Delaware." Everything near the river in Delaware County from Darby to Marcus Hook seemed pretty dumpy to me. Conversely, everything near the river in Bucks County from Yardley to Bensalem seemed intact by comparison, even if unspectacular.

Anyway, that's just my take on Philadelphia after a couple of days there.
Wait a sec....You said that "North Philly" is a step above "Northeast?" If so, I have to ask., Where in the heck was you, when you visited that section of town?"

Old 08-11-2018, 02:44 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Wait a sec....You said that "North Philly" is a step above "Northeast?" If so, I have to ask., Where in the heck was you, when you visited that section of town?"
I was talking about the architecture, not the condition of the built environment. North Philadelphia was the most blighted area of the city that I saw, but it still had more interesting architecture than Northeast Philadelphia. Northeast Philadelphia was far less blighted than North Philadelphia, but architecturally it didn't seem to be anything special, at least compared to the rest of the city.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
NYC is pretty accurately stereotyped I'd say, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City