Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inaccurate stereotypes?
New York 8 4.94%
Los Angeles 16 9.88%
Washington D.C 9 5.56%
Detroit 22 13.58%
Boston 7 4.32%
Atlanta 20 12.35%
Seattle 4 2.47%
Portland 1 0.62%
Buffalo 2 1.23%
Chicago 30 18.52%
Houston 10 6.17%
Miami 3 1.85%
San Francisco 2 1.23%
Pittsburgh 5 3.09%
Other (Specify) 23 14.20%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Senility is a real thing.

Most north siders don't seem to have ever gone below Roosevelt (despite their supposed liberalism) let alone tourists. And if they have, hyde park.
North side liberals are just as racist as their conservative counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say that image is associated more with Fort Worth or maybe San Antonio. Houston is known for it's oil & gas industry, pollution, traffic, heat, and sprawl.
Outside of the Oil & Gas, that's every major city in Texas...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:46 PM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
North side liberals are just as racist as their conservative counterparts.
no argument here...

Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
How many times are you going to post this drivel?
I had started out with a plan for 100. I’ve done 4.....so only 96 to go. You’ve have so much highly drivel material for your reading enjoyment ahead of you. Thanks, as always, for being one of my biggest supporters.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:21 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Senility is a real thing.

Most north siders don't seem to have ever gone below Roosevelt (despite their supposed liberalism) let alone tourists. And if they have, hyde park.
Museum campus, soldier field, mccormick place, chinatown, sox park, among other places are south of Roosevelts.

As far as your observation that the North Side liberal are just as racist as their conservative counterparts...I don’t really agree with that but I will grant you this: they very might not have much concern for those who are economically disadvantaged and this being America, race lifts its ugly head.

What was once considered “liberal” through the midsection of the 20th would be considered “progressive” today. Much of what we see as liberal today are liberal on social issues but hardly make social justice and equality an issue.

It stinks. America is a highly racist nation and it was plagued from the day the first slaves were brought to America. Or arguably when the first native Americans were driven out of Jamestown.

Race permeates our society and plagues enormouly today. If we see Americans divideinto four major groups: white, black, hispanic and Asian, only one could be labeled dysfunctional and regressive: white America that suffers because it is losing its white privilege card, largely lower class whites. These are folks shaking in their boots for that dreaded day...2040 being the best bet...when whites fall from majority to plurality and become....gaso...a minority group.

Of course a large slice of white Americais inclusive and doesn’t care about what race anyone is.m But a huge percentage of white America has a race problem..and iis killing us. Whites aren’t the problem...whiteness is

Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
^^^ The Museum of Science and industry, University of Illinois, Chinatown, booming Near Southside and South Loop. Basically, the Core and its key easy commute residential circle .... is joining up the Loop to Chinatown (it was separated by former industrial and warehousing). New booming high-rises, town-housing and older buildings re-purposed to loft-living. Big developments along the river ongoing too there. Including areas touted to Amazon.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-07-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
^^^ The Museum of Science and industry, University of Illinois, Chinatown, booming Near Southside and South Loop. Basically, the Core and its key easy commute residential circle .... is joining up the Loop to Chinatown (it was separated by former industrial and warehousing). New booming high-rises, town-housing and older buildings re-purposed to loft-living. Big developments along the river ongoing too there. Including areas touted to Amazon.

Exactly. People on the north side visit the south side neighborhoods they have a reason to visit: Chinatown, Pilsen, Hyde Park, Bronzeville, Bridgeport etc. That’s not a value judgment on the residents, it’s just that some neighborhoods are almost purely residential and there’s no reason to visit them if you don’t know anyone there. I’m Black and I’ve lived on the north and south sides. There are lots of neighborhoods on the northwest and southwest sides that I’ve never visited, because there are simply no reason for me to be there.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure why some people consider Chicago a world class city. It's too crude and rough around the edges. Maybe in another 30 years or so.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why some people consider Chicago a world class city. It's too crude and rough around the edges. Maybe in another 30 years or so.
Here’s the thing: there is no reasonable way to dismiss Chicago and he still call LA a works class city. There’s certainly no way to include Mexico Citu. Chicago the amenities cultural institutions and economic clout to put itself among the world’s great cities.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Here’s the thing: there is no reasonable way to dismiss Chicago and he still call LA a works class city. There’s certainly no way to include Mexico Citu. Chicago the amenities cultural institutions and economic clout to put itself among the world’s great cities.
What do LA and Mexico City have to do with this? I'm talking about Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City