Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inaccurate stereotypes?
New York 8 4.94%
Los Angeles 16 9.88%
Washington D.C 9 5.56%
Detroit 22 13.58%
Boston 7 4.32%
Atlanta 20 12.35%
Seattle 4 2.47%
Portland 1 0.62%
Buffalo 2 1.23%
Chicago 30 18.52%
Houston 10 6.17%
Miami 3 1.85%
San Francisco 2 1.23%
Pittsburgh 5 3.09%
Other (Specify) 23 14.20%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles (and I don't understand how it's not winning this poll by a wide margin).

STEREOTYPE:

"One time, I took a business trip to Los Angeles and it took my two hours to drive from X to Y!" Therefore="TRAFFIC" "SPREAD OUT" (even though L.A. is twice as densely populated and structured than the place they visited from, with 10X as many rail stops, and of course, as a visitor, they must have taken the most efficient route and there were no other options open to them).

L.A. seems to be the one city that people who have never even been there have no reservations making expert judgements on, fueled of course, by stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM

364 posts, read 715,602 times
Wow, I’m surprised NYC isn’t even in the top 3 of this poll. I’m in Ohio, so not as many people here have such negative stereotypes of Chicago. I have noticed however, once you get outside of the Great Lakes region, people who’ve never been to Chicago have a really bad perception of the city.

In that respect, it’s not as hard for me to believe Chicago is currently leading the poll.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Having no jobs isn't a stereotype, in terms of someone migrating to Cleveland that's true, there are fewer jobs in 2018 than there was is 2001. It's not a reputation issue it's an actual issue.

Reality dictates that Charlotte has a better job market than Cleveland, that's not perception that's an actual real presence of more jobs in one city. And their reputations reflect that.

Also that whole Lebron bull**** is dumb. You might get that vibe from EPPN but that's because 1/2 the "basketball men" commentators are former Lakersbut everyone knows in like 6 years he will be the Comgressman from Akron.
Easy for you to say because you're from Boston. You're from the land of MIT, Harvard and the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics. You're in the more hip, cool expensive city that people love. What I meant was that almost everybody assumes that everybody in Ohio works in a factory and there's no professionals. I don't work in a factory never have. Plus your sports legends don't leave they're connected to Boston no matter what. But we're the city that lost LeBron twice.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Well, if you listen to Trump, Rush or Hannity you would think that Chicago is just another Mogadishu enclaved in America. Once you set foot in the city you realize it is one of the cleanest, friendliest, most breathtaking places in the US.

So my vote goes to Chicago thanks to the conservative media.

Just stay out of South Chicago.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Just stay out of South Chicago.
More ignorance about Chicago and stereotypes. Hyde Park, Kenwood, Beverly, Morgan Park, Ashburn, are just a few of some really nice parts of the south side. Just goes to show how there are so many misperceptions about Chicago.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:57 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Chicago used to be a great city and its a shame what's happening there under the city administration.

Houston and Dallas are still stereotyped as being full of cowboys and rednecks though they're very white collar, cosmopolitan cities.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:36 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Chicago used to be a great city and its a shame what's happening there under the city administration.
Chicago is a great city.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:43 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post

Easy for you to say because you're from Boston. You're from the land of MIT, Harvard and the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics. You're in the more hip, cool expensive city that people love. What I meant was that almost everybody assumes that everybody in Ohio works in a factory and there's no professionals. I don't work in a factory never have. Plus your sports legends don't leave they're connected to Boston no matter what. But we're the city that lost LeBron twice.
There are plenty of things that Cleveland gets little credit for, it's setting, and fine arts (the latter is generally discarded in America) but it's economy not one of them.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
More ignorance about Chicago and stereotypes. Hyde Park, Kenwood, Beverly, Morgan Park, Ashburn, are just a few of some really nice parts of the south side. Just goes to show how there are so many misperceptions about Chicago.
I guess the homicide rate is also a misconception.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I guess the homicide rate is also a misconception.
What he was trying to explain, which you appear to be willfully unwilling to engage with is that most of Chicago’s murders happen in five of its 77 neighborhoods. The majority of the city, including the much of the southside is safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City