Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Get used to seeing threads exactly like this for the next 30 years.

First it’s the DC and Bay Area CSA.

Then it’ll be the Houston and Dallas MSA.

Then Houston will pass.

The whole time Chicago honks will argue Chicago is the 2nd city until their eyes bleed.
Second City has nothing to do with its size. You should know that, by now. I don't live in Chicago, btw, it's just laughable how so many on this site can't wait until their city is bigger. I'm sure it will happen, but it won't change the relevance of Chicago, or its place in the hierarchy of importance in the US. AND, comparing a CSA to an MSA is comparing apples to oranges.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:

Then Houston will pass.

The whole time Chicago honks will argue Chicago is the 2nd city until their eyes bleed.
Absolutely. YET wait. I have constantly stated that I do not believe Chicago will fall out of top 5 in relevance in our lifetime. We're literally just talking about population numbers it's not that serious.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:22 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
I'm out of this schoolyard brawl....have at it, if it means that much to you.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
As is the Chicago CSA.

Read about 4 posts up.
And it’s no less ridiculous. I don’t believe any CSA is more meaningful than any other. It’s a silly metric.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
And it’s no less ridiculous. I don’t believe any CSA is more meaningful than any other. It’s a silly metric.
The same could be said for MSA's which is just a collection of counties that are in some vicinity of a major city, they don't even have to touch the outer exurbs to be included into an MSA. Do you think that entire MSA's are actually the real metro areas of cities? They're not. None of these American metro areas are as big as we Americans play them up to be on paper.

CSA's are just a collection of MSA's counties and micropolitan areas all in one region. This also includes in some regions of the country more than one MSA being included into a CSA due to the amount of connectivity in the region. So you can't get mad when a city you like vs a city you dislike gets passed up in population and try to discredit the metric, while making all other metrics you like valid. It doesn't work that way.

Chicago is big and bad, it will stay that way, even if it losses population. No reason for you to deny what is factual information, due to your not wanting to compare places.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
for size of a developed place UA is probably the most accurate on size and feel though also has some caveats; all metrics do

on CSA NYC and Philly meet a connection on the rules though the census decided to keep separate, I guess that could mean I live in the largest CSA, my third cup of coffee will taste better knowing this...

Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:

Then Houston will pass.

No one cites Chicago as the second city in population. LA clearly passed that bar DECADES ago. But the "Second city" nickname remains for various reasons.... and even for its core in esteem.
Honestly, the Midwest will become growth oriented again as cost continue to rise in the sunbelt to more water woes possible for some. May be a couple decades and more .... or just one.

Decades can't be predicted farther in advance to use a anti-bias against IL and Chicagoland and promote declining ..... in any thread one can. I already noted these other areas ... do see Chicago as ITS target to claim a arrival for them. Mighty NYC and LA are too far ahead in population.

But more acknowledge Chicagoland is still a Big fish and clearly the Midwest Premier City, with a CORE they can admire that is booming outward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm actually going to respond to your previous post. I absolutely think that the broader region that Baltimore is a part of is equally or more important than Chicago yes. The economy is slightly larger and there is a more influential city as a part of it's CSA.

Does this make Chicago city lesser than Baltimore no. But it's surrounding region is about the same par or slightly behind Baltimore's surrounding region that includes the capitol of the country.
DC is our Nations Capital from its start. In that it has a level of prestige no other city will have.

If this is all about importance of a city by region? Population is less relevant. Apparently, your moving the bar to a DC/Baltimore region .... MORE IMPORTANT AND PRESIGIOUS THEN CHICAGOLAND TOO.

If the bar is which city powers over there region more .... clearly its Chicagoland.

We again, have a few cities and their region. With a aim of claiming a ARRIVAL in in population to GDP passing level .... for claims to have passed Chicago and Chicagoland in various levels for importance.

Chicagoland is helped by neither weather, in the Midwest (currently not a IT region) nor in the sunbelt, West-coast or East-coast. It's a STAND-ALONE metro that gains farmland to go to a CSA ..... but for going northward or till you hit Milwaukee/Madison. Merely Milwaukee's and Chicago's suburbs meet in sprawl. But then these other cities are not in Chi's CSA. There is also no rivalry between these regions .... except in sports.

Now you want to downplay MSA's..... but they are internationally recognized and used.

If this really is about Power and influence now? That might be to create another thread for it?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 AM

124 posts, read 102,100 times
It seems like a new 'contender' for Chicago's 3rd spot in population emerges every year... Who's even officially the 4th largest city if the race for 3rd is this competitive? It seems like there would be a lot more threads on who rounds out the top 5?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
https://ggwash.org/view/69285/were-3...passed-chicago

Quote: "Greater Washington may already be the country's third-most-populous region, according to new population projections from the Census Bureau. Under the bureau's broadest definition of a metropolitan area, called a "Combined Statistical Area," the Washington-Baltimore area was just shy of the Chicago region as of July 2017. Continued growth here means that this region's population may have recently surpassed Chicago's."
That's a bridge that we'll cross when we get to it, I suppose. As of today, as in right now, the Chicago CSA is still in command of the #3 spot. Not just as a CSA but in every metric, all six of the size metrics.

I value every metric and it is important to look at them all as a collective rather than fixating on one and solely one but CSAs are chasms created to measure commuter ties and loose connections. In reality it makes small places come across like they can actually compete with large places. Loosely defined commuter sheds with even more loosely aligned local culture.

As far as it concerns me, nowhere surpasses anywhere until they surpass it in every size metric (so that means by City-Proper, by MSA, by CSA, by the United States Urban Area, by Demographia's Urban Area.

Pass Chicago in all six and then you deserve the mantle of being #3. Nothing says bigger than shutting the opponent out in every metric, leaving them with no words to argue otherwise or to the contrary. Pass Chicago in just one, yeah, that's not a big enough achievement worth celebrating. Washington DC will never truly surpass Chicago. It wont ever be able to truly shut Chicago out, it is just not capable of it. In some ways it is just too small and that fact wont ever change.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 03:52 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Even in population while Chicago is third, it is certainly not a clear third in terms of importance anymore. You might as well clump Chicago with the likes of San Francisco, Seattle, DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. For example, I honestly don't feel that metro Atlanta is any less important than Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City