Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: This City has the Best Skyline. No THIS City has the Best Skyline
TORONTO And all it's Appeal 28 15.22%
CHICAGO And all it's Majesty 156 84.78%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times

Advertisements

Just going by the original premise of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Fastest Growing
Tallest
Most Magnificent ❤️
Fastest Growing - Toronto without a doubt, as shown by U/C and pipeline stats, corroborated by annual population growth of 100,000+ net new migration into the GTA and the largest employment center in Canada.

Tallest - Chicago for sure, and will be for the near future unless Toronto manages to get all 6 of its supertalls built in the next 5 years (2 are most likely, but the other 4 are still in planning stages)

Most Magnificent - I think we all know the answer to this: Chicago without a doubt. Both in the layout of the skyline but also the architecture of individual buildings. Some of the buildings - such as John Hancock Tower - are pretty much pretty much pioneers in the field of structuring engineering, and mandatory study in civil engineering and architecture classes.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
When you're doing massing of a skyline for the purpose of scale comparisons, the red tower and the white tower are taller and larger than the two Chicago towers:

You can call them supertalls, you can call them manitopiaatalls, but they are still smaller than the red tower and the white tower.

So when you claim Chicago's skyline is bigger because buildings like those are taller due to the pointy sticks on their roofs, you are being misleading by arguing semantics and definitions.

With your analogy it's like a 5'5 man with a 7 inch hairdoo.
I'm not "arguing" anything. I'm stating that under the official definition, Chicago has 7 supertalls and Toronto has 0. It's a statement of fact not open to discussion. And if you have semantic/definitional issues with that, take it up with CTBUH.

You seem to be deeply troubled by this reality and it's not healthy.

And I strongly recommend everyone look at Scotia Plaza on Google Images. The building is incredibly thin. Yet Differential posts a render that makes like look the Metlife! Ha!

Old 06-04-2019, 11:54 AM

257 posts, read 167,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'm not "arguing" anything. I'm stating that under the official definition, Chicago has 7 supertalls and Toronto has 0. It's a statement of fact not open to discussion. And if you have semantic/definitional issues with that, take it up with CTBUH.

You seem to be deeply troubled by this reality and it's not healthy.

And I strongly recommend everyone look at Scotia Plaza on Google Images. The building is incredibly thin. Yet Differential posts a render that makes like look the Metlife! Ha!
Yes I know you love official definitions because it lets you mislead people to support your argument.

The only troubling fact is at least two of Toronto’s buildings not counting the CN tower are taller than Chicago’s supertalls.

The render is from skyscraperpage, I have no control over it.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
***** I think it's best to be over this déjà vu argument like years past Toronto vs Chicago threads.

I don't mind them. But you know what can happen if they go for too long.... At least we are not in the C-D era of mass banning of the past. Finally though, GeneralUS and the CvC is increasing again.

Still the definition of height that reaches super-talls is a standard. I hope so. So until you hit mega-tall. It stands as counts.

In a world that mega-tall are getting thrown up. Again, the CN(N) Tower. Still I see UNLIKELY to be surpassed in Toronto. But Chicago has no such barrier IMO. As we all should know? If not for the 07 08 Crash. Chicago would HAVE A MEGA-TALL. IT WAS under construction then and the Crash killed it.

The only two cites you can get these Arguments on high-rise+ counts? Is between Miami, Toronto and Chicago. But not sure on Mexico city .... still in NA.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-04-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
Yes I know you love official definitions because it lets you mislead people to support your argument.

The only troubling fact is at least two of Toronto’s buildings not counting the CN tower are taller than Chicago’s supertalls.

The render is from skyscraperpage, I have no control over it.
I think you're missing another "two of" there

The only troubling fact is at least two of Toronto’s buildings not counting the CN tower are taller than two of Chicago’s supertalls.

I see what you're getting at, but it leaves four other supertalls in Chicago that are taller (well, five since Vista is topped out). Chicago has the taller skyscrapers, that's pretty straightforward. However, it seems like you're going by roof height, and if you're doing that, then this guy is now taller than Scotia Plaza, right? A roof height ranking will still be top-heavy towards Chicago.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-04-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There is also an inherent pro-USA/anti-Canada bias on this forum, to the point where if it was Cincinnati vs Toronto, the majority would probably instinctively vote Cincinnati
I totally disagree. There is no way I would vote for any just any U.S. city over Toronto, probably very few. But to me the Toronto skyline just isn't very pretty, and the Chicago skyline from places like the Planetarium, Navy Pier and the Hancock is breathtaking.

I doubt any honest American would pick Cincy over Toronto, just as I would hope any honest Canadian would not choose Toronto over Chicago. But these days it is hard to find an honest subjective American on any subject, so who knows...……...

Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I totally disagree. There is no way I would vote for any just any U.S. city over Toronto, probably very few. But to me the Toronto skyline just isn't very pretty, and the Chicago skyline from places like the Planetarium, Navy Pier and the Hancock is breathtaking.

I doubt any honest American would pick Cincy over Toronto, just as I would hope any honest Canadian would not choose Toronto over Chicago. But these days it is hard to find an honest subjective American on any subject, so who knows...……...
Again, you should have been here for some of the other ridiculous threads that compared Toronto to US cities. I remember one where people voted en masse for Detroit over Toronto, I kid you not

Edit, I see you've been a long time member, I'm sure you remember some of the threads I speak of

Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM

257 posts, read 167,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you're missing another "two of" there

The only troubling fact is at least two of Toronto’s buildings not counting the CN tower are taller than two of Chicago’s supertalls.

I see what you're getting at, but it leaves four other supertalls in Chicago that are taller (well, five since Vista is topped out). Chicago has the taller skyscrapers, that's pretty straightforward.
I’m not arguing that, but the difference in height is not as big as he is making it out to be, outside of a few buildings the rest of the two large skylines are surprisingly comparable in height, with Toronto having more buildings overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City