Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: This City has the Best Skyline. No THIS City has the Best Skyline
TORONTO And all it's Appeal 28 15.22%
CHICAGO And all it's Majesty 156 84.78%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago's tallest proposal in over a year is 523' and nothing even in the 400' range has surfaced. That's a sign the boom may be winding down. Everything taller has been in planning for a couple years or longer. There's been a healthy crop of 300' and under proposed over the same period but there's a low ceiling right now.

For Chicago allegedly leading the U.S. in corporate relocations for 7 consecutive years plus individuals making over $100k moving to the city/downtown faster than any other as well as people with college degrees choosing Chicago at a greater rate than anywhere in the U.S. you'd think there'd be demand to keep building taller and more mixed-use projects. Not to mention the absorption rates keep exceeding expectations and record numbers of units are being turned over year after year.

One thing Chicago never does is over-build so that keeps us from competing on a global scale and developers are relatively conservative with the height of towers. Hardly anything ever gets built on spec like Manhattan and large scale projects at prime locations keep falling short of 1,000'. This cycle when it's said and done producing perhaps only 2 or 3 super-talls while losing another 3 potentials is tragic for our relevance globally. This boom could have just as easily produced 10 supertalls with slightly more ambition by these developers. One Chicago, Wolf Point South and 1000M were all as low-risk as you could possibly get for building above 1,000' in Chicago and all of them were scaled back. Wolf Point South could have added a hotel and some luxury units with the unique location of the river confluence and would have made ridiculous profits being at the most prolific and historic site left in the downtown. 835' here is the most underwhelming development I can remember.

Toronto is going to blow past us in every category from a statistics standpoint. Chicago is just infilling with boxes and slowly by comparison to what's taking place in cities like NY, London and Toronto.
You are right in Chicago does not overbuild. But still has supertalls in the pipeline proposed and renderings released. Not sure how far out you seek proposals .... to call it a drop-off. But it may be due till they are sure absorbing the new batch of building and proposed buildings, are not seeing too high of vacancies.

Some these up at or near completion and some just started or proposed to on needing design changes from the neighborhood requested.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/16...r-architecture.

But at least many of this batch got built. Unlike the pre 07 08 Crash where just Trump Tower got completed as too far along. Other were started and cancelled.

Chicago isn't getting thousands of professional immigrants as Toronto by its immigrant merit-system especially. The migrations South still going on in the US.

Chicago has no golden spoon as Toronto had in Montréal's loss was its gain. But Chicago clearly has 9+lives that doomsayers still have years go by without their predictions of damnation happening. Kind of like the US in general.

Time will tell, but what Chicago has built ...... isn't going to just disappear. Its skyline still is among the tops in the world. Still above Toronto in most links on them. Asian cities though rule today. Even NYC rarely gets #1 today.

Political haters still hating, by politics and the to the party rules there. But so far the city goes on in impressive ways.

One thing Chicago is ... is a American city and impressive in its core compared to our booming sunbelt cities. Toronto gets more reminiscent of a booming Asian city also.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-05-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-03-2019, 03:02 PM

257 posts, read 167,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Walk through Toronto and the vast majority is junk. Not just mediocre, but legitimate trash. Cheap cladding, the same glass facade repeated for ten building, with the only difference between one is 490' and the other is 525'. Look at the historical structures and a lot of it is gone, razed under "urban renewal" and replaced with brutalist eyesores.
This video highlights how ridiculous your comment is, downtown Toronto's street level architecture is very diverse and rivals any major US city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkWuLrUihE

If you're going to hate, find a legitimate reason to hate. You have no credibility.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 PM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Been to both. I vastly prefer Chicago‘s skyline, just as I would prefer Toronto’s cleanness and safety.
I think Chicago’s skyline is only behind that NY of C place in this country.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
I feel like Toronto’s skyline is significantly more residential, which means less variety. That’s why I prefer Chicago’s skyline, but Toronto is severely underrated when it comes to urbanity.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I feel like Toronto’s skyline is significantly more residential, which means less variety. That’s why I prefer Chicago’s skyline, but Toronto is severely underrated when it comes to urbanity.
Underrated how? It’s a pretty common opinion here that the big 3 Canadian cities are vastly more urban than US cities of similar size.

As for the skyline though, you are absolutely right. Not only is it mostly residential, it also kind of sprawls out all over the place, and does a poor job at incorporating the waterfront into it, which I find odd. The Gardiner and everything alongside it is absolutely hideous.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:53 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Is it true to say by 2030 Toronto could have a larger skyline than Chicago?

I just did a quick check and holy crap Toronto added an astronomical number of skyscrapers this decade and theres even more in the pipeline.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:13 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

I just did a quick check and holy crap Toronto added an astronomical number of skyscrapers this decade and theres even more in the pipeline.

The buildings they have under construction right now slated for completion by 2022 exceed the entire skyline of Los Angeles-add that to what they already have.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:

Isn't Toronto the largest city in Canada??? Not quite getting why everyone compares it to Chicago, the third largest in the US. Toronto is not, nor will it ever be, a part of the US, so these comparisons don't make a lot of sense, to me. No matter how big Toronto gets, or how many skyscrapers it has, it's still in Canada. As the largest city in Canada, it surely has a ways to go, to compare to NYC...our largest city. You don't find those comparisons, as Toronto can't compare.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Isn't Toronto the largest city in Canada??? Not quite getting why everyone compares it to Chicago, the third largest in the US. Toronto is not, nor will it ever be, a part of the US, so these comparisons don't make a lot of sense, to me. No matter how big Toronto gets, or how many skyscrapers it has, it's still in Canada. As the largest city in Canada, it surely has a ways to go, to compare to NYC...our largest city. You don't find those comparisons, as Toronto can't compare.
Wut... uhhh the comparison is on a similar size skyline.. hmmm
So many people on here get very triggered.

So again question still exists, would if be safe to say Toronto could pass Chicagos skyline depth by 2030?

Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Wut... uhhh the comparison is on a similar size skyline.. hmmm
So many people on here get very triggered.

So again question still exists, would if be safe to say Toronto could pass Chicagos skyline depth by 2030?
I doubt anyone can predict that.....it's too far away. It's always possible, and then again, maybe not. If anyone here is saying they know that will happen, I'd like to know where they say to invest my money in 2030.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City