Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North East or South East
North 65 59.09%
South 45 40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I didn't but I also didn't circle back and say something like the below.
You don't get to regulate responses to your posts.

Quote:
None the less, you asked how Richmond was tied to the NE and I provided one example. To me Richmond, VA is still Southern but I see how some folks tie it to the North.
And I disagreed with the maps attempt to align the area with the NEC. It's my opinion that it isn't, and I expressed it by my post. That map is overused here, and it's basically a prediction of future growth patterns. It's not a snapshot of the present by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I didn't regulate your post as you never set parameters to start with then added goalposts on what you liked/didn't like after people responded.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:04 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,268 times
Quote:

And I disagreed with the maps attempt to align the area with the NEC. It's my opinion that it isn't, and I expressed it by my post. That map is overused here, and it's basically a prediction of future growth patterns. It's not a snapshot of the present by any means.
Why don't you think Richmond is aligned with the North? Also, even if it were aligned more with the south, what difference would that make? Does it matter at all what the actual residents feel connected to? I've seen you become irritated by people stating that Richmond may be Northern leaning or Mid Atlantic on multiple threads but I'm not sure I've ever seen you explain why they are wrong. I'm not from Richmond or VA for that matter but I do find it all interesting.

Edit: There was a poster on here that did an excellent job detailing connections that Richmond has with points further north, with links to support as well. If I can locate it I will post. Very interesting stuff.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-06-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Lol @the megaregion map not being reflective of the present...

Old 09-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't regulate your post as you never set parameters to start with then added goalposts on what you liked/didn't like after people responded.
What bizarre, twisted logic - but okay.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol @the megaregion map not being reflective of the present...
LOL ar you thinking it is, it's not - nor is it meant to be.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Why don't you think Richmond is aligned with the North? Also, even if it were aligned more with the south, what difference would that make? Does it matter at all what the actual residents feel connected to? I've seen you become irritated by people stating that Richmond may be Northern leaning or Mid Atlantic on multiple threads but I'm not sure I've ever seen you explain why they are wrong. I'm not from Richmond or VA for that matter but I do find it all interesting.

Edit: There was a poster on here that did an excellent job detailing connections that Richmond has with points further north, with links to support as well. If I can locate it I will post. Very interesting stuff.
I don't doubt that it's aligned with the North. But it is not a part of the NEC, as so many here believe it to be.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
What bizarre, twisted logic - but okay.
Not really - you just don't like the answer you got...

someone said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
RVA is definitely Mid-Atlantic leaning than deep Southern (which is what the majority of the South is).
then you asked...
Quote:
How so?
then I replied with the megaregions map showing how in one example Richmond is tied with the Mid Atlantic....
Quote:
Then you said....
Quote:
Throwing up the mega region map doesn't mean much at all.

So you got an answer to your question then randomly said that the map doesn't mean much. Could you elaborate what would mean more then? Maybe that will help with your confusion.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
LOL ar you thinking it is, it's not - nor is it meant to be.
How isn't it?

Old 09-07-2019, 09:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
In 2007, James B. Holt, Ph.D., published an article titled “The Changing Topography of Poverty in the United States.” In the article, Dr. Holt delineated a “continental poverty divide” in the United States. To conduct the spatial analysis and create the map, Dr. Holt utilized county-level data from a 1999 research project titled the “Community Health Status Indicators Project.” The cartographic analysis, which may be viewed by visiting the URL captioned below, clearly demonstrates the high concentration of impoverished counties in the southern half of the country. Based on my review of the map, it appears that Richmond, VA and surrounding counties are located north of the continental poverty divide.

Source: http://www.geocurrents.info/economic...-united-states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City