Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Fort Lauderdale
San Diego 107 52.45%
Fort Lauderdale 97 47.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 11:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not really sure rednecks is a nice term to throw around, but I'd assume Florida would have some? But what's the point of a 500K condo if the HOA is 3500.00? Again, I'll take Miami/Ft. Lauderdale COL all day.

500K, with a 3500.00 HOA to live in the desert? Nah, I'll take SoFla over Jamul all day.
Yes, we have our share—in other parts of the state. Yeah, Jamul and El Cajon, no thanks….La Mesa has some very nice homes with beautiful vistas, but still too remote from where I’d hang….in SoFla one needs to live on or very close to the coast (ocean, bay, canals) to receive breezes to mitigate/lessen the effects of heat and humidity. High rises, which FtL also has, helps as well (shade). The first townhome you linked by the Miami Zoo is too far inland and would be miserable in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 12:03 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes, we have our share—in other parts of the state. Yeah, Jamul and El Cajon, no thanks….La Mesa has some very nice homes with beautiful vistas, but still too remote from where I’d hang….in SoFla one needs to live on or very close to the coast (ocean, bay, canals) to receive breezes to mitigate/lessen the effects of heat and humidity. High rises, which FtL also has, helps as well (shade). The first townhome you linked by the Miami Zoo is too far inland and would be miserable in the summer.
Looks like Trump did better in Miami-Dade than he did San Diego County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You mean the whole building right
Looks like just a 2 br 11 sq feet condo.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Looks like Trump did better in Miami-Dade than he did San Diego County.

Looks like just a 2 br 11 sq feet condo.
Miami Dade did elect its first ever female and Jewish mayor (a Democrat); Miami Beach also has a Jewish Democrat mayor—hardly right wingers (and, no, they are not Orthodox). Silky Suarez is a figure head and what I would call a moderate Conservative. There are more registered Democrats than GOP in Miami Dade; the right did a better job with GOTV this past election cycle. Miami / SoFla is possibly the only area in FL I could live—while we have our hard right Cuban exile electorate and others who fled communism (therefore, their distrust of big government) we also have our share of Northeasterners, Canadians and European expats. I don’t think anybody would call Miami/Miami Beach socially conservative—it certainly has its hedonistic qualities.

Broward County, where FtL is located, has 2x registered Democrat voters v GOP.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-16-2023 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 12:09 PM

376 posts, read 209,740 times
Quote:
Yes, let’s bring back the 2 cities discussed. Heck, Jamul and El Cajon, practically Arizona, is much closer to downtown San Diego (less than 25 minutes, no traffic) and here is what you get for comparable prices to the townhome linked earlier. Hint: Lovely, what value—would be $1M+ in Santa Monica and why anyone would want to leave the state when they could live here is beyond me, but I wouldn’t live here either (even on an 80 degree Christmas Day when SoFla is reeling from blizzard conditions)

https://www.zillow.com/jamul-ca/condos/

Wow.. talk about over dramatized exaggerations.

Anyway I voted SD because CA>FL everyday. And speaking of rednecks, I mean Florida is about the definition of rednecks lol.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post

Anyway I voted SD because CA>FL everyday. And speaking of rednecks, I mean Florida is about the definition of rednecks lol.
Portions of Florida is, the vast majority of SoFla is not. I also assure you I did not invent the term El Cajun. Both states have their hate, neo Nazi and ultra right wing groups.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Florida is over 20 million people over a very large and diverse set of areas whereas that guy was talking about a fairly compact area. Saying an entire state of that size or population is specifically this or that oftentimes doesn't work too well.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Florida is, SoFla is not. I also assure you I did not invent the term El Cajun.

Okay so you don't appreciate the over generalizations. So don't over generalize the inland parts of CA. It is not "practically Arizona", don't diss it like that.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Okay so you don't appreciate the over generalizations. So don't over generalize the inland parts of CA. It is not "practically Arizona", don't diss it like that.
Obviously you missed my sarcasm in response to other posts or do you also truly believe every Christmas (in response to another poster) and all winter long it is 80 degrees in SoCal (a myth, outside of the 3-4 day Santa Ana). As Oy commented I was referring to a specific area, not the entire County or State….funny, though, there sure are generalizations about SoFla on CD (it’s only habitable one month out of the year, there are only waiter jobs here, you must speak Spanish, etc Ad nauseum).

Old 03-16-2023, 12:22 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
He didn't generalize to "the inland parts of CA", he mentioned two specific parts, and I'm pretty sure he'll tell you that he doesn't mean every single person. He also probably doesn't mean everyone in Arizona is exactly the same or like that either.

I do want to mention that El Cajon of today-ish is a pretty weird place that's probably quite different from El Cajon of a couple of decades ago. Still quite poor and hard-scrabble, but also now both more hispanic, and curiously enough, a *lot* more Chaldean Iraqi / Assyrian.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Obviously you missed my sarcasm in response to other posts or do you also truly believe every Christmas (in response to another poster) and all winter long it is 80 degrees in SoCal (a myth, outside of the 3-4 day Santa Ana). As Oy commented I was referring to a specific area, not the entire County or State.

It's hard to sense the sarcasm since this forum has some sort of superiority based preference towards extremely specific areas. And what's with that Oy guy that keeps replying within the same exact minute as you do (see above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City