Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Fort Lauderdale
San Diego 107 52.45%
Fort Lauderdale 97 47.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 01:55 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
I mean the poster you were responding to is quite obviously refering to the poll above where SD is winning.
And San Deigo has nightlife/entertaintment aswell, also part of/near an even larger, world-class nightlife/entertainment metro area.

You talking about LA? San Diego is not part of the LA metro. LA is 120 miles from SD. Come on now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 02:36 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I mean the poster you were responding to is quite obviously refering to the poll above where SD is winning.
And San Deigo has nightlife/entertaintment aswell, also part of/near an even larger, world-class nightlife/entertainment metro area.
f
LA has great entertainment, but it's a separate metropolitan area from SD and even its nightlife is not particularly good for various reasons why Miami that is actually within the same metropolitan area as Ft. Lauderdale are very well known for their nightlife. I greatly prefer Southern California to South Florida for various reasons, but great nightlife is a real stretch. I think the best thing about Southern California nightlife (also for the Bay Area, and probably the rest of the state) is that it's somewhat limited and you thus don't generally have that much opportunity and thus pressure to keep going day after day. This to some degree is intentional with last call throughout the state and including San Diego is 2 am while last call in Broward County where Ft. Lauderdale is located is 4 am. It's also often still warm late night in South Florida while the temperature generally quickly drops in California soon after the sun goes down. Have you ever lived in San Diego? What's the longest stretch you've spent in Ft. Lauderdale or South Florida?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-16-2023 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 03:00 PM

376 posts, read 209,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
f
LA has great entertainment, but it's a separate metropolitan area from SD and even its nightlife is not particularly good for various reasons why Miami that is actually within the same metropolitan area as Ft. Lauderdale are very well known for their nightlife. I greatly prefer Southern California to South Florida for various reasons, but great nightlife is a real stretch. I think the best thing about Southern California nightlife (also for the Bay Area, and probably the rest of the state) is that it's somewhat limited and you thus don't generally have that much opportunity and thus pressure to keep going day after day. This to some degree is intentional with last call throughout the state and including San Diego is 2 am while last call in Broward County where Ft. Lauderdale is located is 4 am. It's also often still warm late night in South Florida while the temperature generally quickly drops in California soon after the sun goes down. Have you ever lived in San Diego? What's the longest stretch you've spent in Ft. Lauderdale or South Florida?

Usually CA makes up for early closures with an "after party" albiet it is insular and based on who knows who. Even with last call at 2am it's still generally enough nightlife with some improvisation.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Usually CA makes up for early closures with an "after party" albiet it is insular and based on who knows who. Even with last call at 2am it's still generally enough nightlife with some improvisation.
Yea, I'm familiar with after parties in LA. These exist as they do elsewhere, but they are generally not a real scene except for when there are a select few large industry events in town. I'm also familiar with after parties in South Florida, namely in Miami, and it's a lot more varied, a lot more accessible, and generally a lot more common. This *also* includes a lot of invite-only after parties of people's homes or certain institutions and the ones I'm most familiar with have to do with Art Basel, but it's a lot more than just that and the general baseline for even a non-event night is higher. Remember, since last call in Broward County is at 4 am (or there is no last call in some parts of Miami), the after party there can both start later and end later (or real early) in South Florida.

I'm curious about this though--what is your experience with Ft. Lauderdale and South Florida?

It really seems absurd that you're pushing this idea that nightlife isn't very different in Southern California vs South Florida or that it's interchangeable somehow. There are so many other factors in San Diego's favor, and *this* is what you want to emphasize?

Old 03-16-2023, 03:18 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
If someone is paying for my house and the property taxes, a few blocks of the beach in La Jolla, pleeeze. The climate is perfect. It’s the only place on the west coast where you can swim without a wetsuit. A boat in a slip and a small ski condo at Mammoth. I’m good.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:36 PM

376 posts, read 209,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I'm familiar with after parties in LA. These exist as they do elsewhere, but they are generally not a real scene except for when there are a select few large industry events in town. I'm also familiar with after parties in South Florida, namely in Miami, and it's a lot more varied, a lot more accessible, and generally a lot more common. This *also* includes a lot of invite-only after parties of people's homes or certain institutions and the ones I'm most familiar with have to do with Art Basel, but it's a lot more than just that and the general baseline for even a non-event night is higher. Remember, since last call in Broward County is at 4 am (or there is no last call in some parts of Miami), the after party there can both start later and end later (or real early) in South Florida.

I'm curious about this though--what is your experience with Ft. Lauderdale and South Florida?

It really seems absurd that you're pushing this idea that nightlife isn't very different in Southern California vs South Florida or that it's interchangeable somehow. There are so many other factors in San Diego's favor, and *this* is what you want to emphasize?

Way to over dramatize in an effort to prove some self percieved point. Don't be that desperate.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
This is a tough one. I really dislike Florida overall, that said, I like the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Key West region. Ft Lauderdale in particular is appealing because of its reputation as a gay destination. The warm white-sand Caribbean beaches are nicer than the cold Pacific beaches (though I do love the Pacific coast). Also, the nightlife is fantastic.

San Diego is a more complete city overall. I prefer the access to Southern California and find the state politics much more favorable.

I voted San Diego but could go either way.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 12,067 times
The vast majority of bars in Ft Lauderdale from Las Olas to the beach don't stay open until 4am because it's a ghost town by then.

Nightlife in Miami is top tier but aside from that nowhere in Florida is any more impressive than San Diego.

It's not like we have to travel far for unhinged nightlife. Tijuana is on our doorstep and that's an experience a lot of people from even Miami wouldn't be able to handle.

Last edited by 93jpe; 03-16-2023 at 07:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 07:39 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jpe View Post
The vast majority of bars in Ft Lauderdale from Las Olas to the beach don't stay open until 4am because it's a ghost town by then.

Nightlife in Miami is top tier but aside from that nowhere in Florida is any more impressive than San Diego.

It's not like we have to travel far for unhinged nightlife. Tijuana is on our doorstep and that's an experience a lot of people from even Miami wouldn't be able to handle.
Highly disagree with you there.
Actually, the entire post is kind of off the mark.

And you're really reaching here by bringing up Tijuana. That's in an entirely different country. You have to cross an international border to get there, and back. Imagine partying in Tijuana and then asking your Uber driver to get your drunk ass back across the border to San Diego at 4AM.

Would you say Plattsburgh, NY, has good nightlife because you can hop in a car and drive across the border to Montreal? That makes no sense. LA and Tijuana are not part of the SD Metro. Fort Lauderdale on the other hand goes hand-in-hand with Miami. The entire region from Fort Lauderdale down to Miami is known for nightlife.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:43 PM

26 posts, read 12,067 times
I've traveled across the border of Tijuana many times especially when I was 18, 19 and 20. It's not that dramatic. You can park your car on the US side and walk into Tijuana.

Plattsburgh NY is 62 miles from Montreal. Am I parking my car at the border there and walking directly into Montreal? No.

Tijuana and San Diego literally share a border and it's one of the busiest if not busiest land border crossing in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City