Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Fort Lauderdale
San Diego 107 52.45%
Fort Lauderdale 97 47.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 06:42 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Florida can’t be that awful for surfing….many consider Kelly Slater the greatest surfer ever and he grew up and learned to surf just a couple of hours up the coast from FtL in Cocoa Beach….and if FL and The Atlantic didn’t have any waves we’d have a few million more Cubans calling SoFla home by now

I imagine people referring to ocean swimming really mean body surfing—I.e. just going in the ocean.
Tell me you know zero about surfing without telling me you do?

Slater is the King. That is a fact. And a lot of great surfers have come out of Florida (including the gulf coast - Lopez Bros) but that doesn’t mean the surf is anywhere near as good as it is in California. No one that knows a lick about surfing would even suggest this? And for the record, San Diego County has arguably has the best surf in the United States outside or Hawaii. Santa Cruz (or OC) may try to get into the conversation, but San Diego is still tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 07:07 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Tell me you know zero about surfing without telling me you do?

Slater is the King. That is a fact. And a lot of great surfers have come out of Florida (including the gulf coast - Lopez Bros) but that doesn’t mean the surf is anywhere near as good as it is in California. No one that knows a lick about surfing would even suggest this? And for the record, San Diego County has arguably has the best surf in the United States outside or Hawaii. Santa Cruz (or OC) may try to get into the conversation, but San Diego is still tops.
Too funny…we’ve gone from the (incorrect) narrative Florida is lousy for surfing with no waves to (incorrectly) now suggesting I said it’s the best in the country for surfing when I clearly and simply wrote it cannot be that awful? Smh

Ps..I did forgot to plug Ron Jon Surf Shop in FL—world’s largest.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-11-2023 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 08:22 PM

26 posts, read 12,067 times
I think a swimming pool would offer the same swimming experience of a South Florida beach. San Diego can get gnarly during those winter swells.

Last edited by 93jpe; 03-11-2023 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 09:05 PM

323 posts, read 259,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Too funny…we’ve gone from the (incorrect) narrative Florida is lousy for surfing with no waves to (incorrectly) now suggesting I said it’s the best in the country for surfing when I clearly and simply wrote it cannot be that awful? Smh

Ps..I did forgot to plug Ron Jon Surf Shop in FL—world’s largest.
Isn't it crazy?? I notice that Californians, or at least Cali boosters, get very triggered when people suggest that Florida is better and provide informed opinions to back up their claims.

Like you elchevere, I've lived in both southern California and Florida, and I find Florida to be a much better state to live in. For my lifestyle, Florida beats out California 9 out of 10 times, and lots of people out there feel the same.... And that bothers the Cali people.

California is great along several metrics...but Florida is better.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
Isn't it crazy?? I notice that Californians, or at least Cali boosters, get very triggered when people suggest that Florida is better and provide informed opinions to back up their claims.

Like you elchevere, I've lived in both southern California and Florida, and I find Florida to be a much better state to live in. For my lifestyle, Florida beats out California 9 out of 10 times, and lots of people out there feel the same.... And that bothers the Cali people.

California is great along several metrics...but Florida is better.
That's great for you.

Almost 23,000 Floridians moved to California in 2019. 1 in 934.
Almost 29,000 Californians moved to Florida in 2019. 1 in 1360.

Floridians are 70% more likely to move to California.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

Old 03-11-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jpe View Post
That's great for you.

Almost 23,000 Floridians moved to California in 2019. 1 in 934.
Almost 29,000 Californians moved to Florida in 2019. 1 in 1360.

Floridians are 70% more likely to move to California.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

Statistics are always fun.

Below are a few more statistics that I think you might like.

In 2022 - 318,855 people moved to Florida from another part of the country.

In 2022 - 343,230 people left California for another part of the country.

The percentage of people more likely to choose Florida instead of California is astronomical.

Florida is booming, and there are many reasons why. California is still fun though, for a visit...

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/econom...ns%20in%202022.

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 03-11-2023 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 10:32 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jpe View Post
I think a swimming pool would offer the same swimming experience of a South Florida beach. San Diego can get gnarly during those winter swells.

Something I'm learning in these Florida threads is that there's a new outdoor sport craze that is taking the world by storm, and that is ocean swimming.

So if your beach can't replicate the conditions of a swimming pool like the ones in Florida can, its basically a big fail, as everyone is apparently flocking to ocean beaches to swim in them.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:38 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Something I'm learning in these Florida threads is that there's a new outdoor sport craze that is taking the world by storm, and that is ocean swimming.

So if your beach can't replicate the conditions of a swimming pool like the ones in Florida can, its basically a big fail, as everyone is apparently flocking to ocean beaches to swim in them.
I don't go out when it is anywhere close to that.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
Statistics are always fun.

Below are a few more statistics that I think you might like.

In 2022 - 318,855 people moved to Florida from another part of the country.

In 2022 - 343,230 people left California for another part of the country.

The percentage of people more likely to choose Florida instead of California is astronomical.

Florida is booming, and there are many reasons why. California is still fun though, for a visit...
Fasho. New York and Hawaii lost an even bigger slice of pie than we did.

You're in good company on that pedestal you're sharing with Delaware too. All the praise bro.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

I made mention of sensitive Californians a few posts up, and this is exactly what I was referring to. Breathe, it's OK, no one thinks Californias beaches are a failure...LOOL

To the point though. -- This isn't a Florida thread, it's a discussion that is directly comparing one city in California, and one city in Florida.

See, what people do in a comparison thread is....they compare. They typically pit 2 or more regions/cities against each other and discuss the pros and cons of each.

I never would've thought that the beach aspect of this discussion would get people so touchy...

Once again, no one said that California's beaches are a failure... Don't you worry sweetie, California beaches are just swell...lool

With that being said though, when the topic of discussion are the merits of a beach, people will tend to highlight the different things they enjoy about beaches.

So most people agree here that California beaches are more scenic, while Floridas beaches are cleaner, have better sand quality, as well as clearer and warmer water; which tends to make for a much better swimming experience.

You should visit Fort Lauderdale, South Beach, Clearwater Beach, or one of our many other beautiful beaches here in the Sunshine state. You'd be shocked at all the people swimming in the ocean. It really is a thing, and it's been so for awhile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City