Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Fort Lauderdale
San Diego 107 52.45%
Fort Lauderdale 97 47.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 12:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He didn't generalize to "the inland parts of CA", he mentioned two specific parts, and I'm pretty sure he'll tell you that he doesn't mean every single person. He also probably doesn't mean everyone in Arizona is exactly the same or like that either.
Yeah, the AZ “jab” was to counter how the remote townhome 45 minutes away was part of the main area of Miami but places like El Cajon, etc—which are closer, half that distance to SD, where you can get a comparable priced townhome must be in Arizona (sarcasm). I also put a smiley at the end of my comment. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, most people would interpret that to take my comment in jest.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-16-2023 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 12:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
It's hard to sense the sarcasm since this forum has some sort of superiority based preference towards extremely specific areas. And what's with that Oy guy that keeps replying within the same exact minute as you do (see above).
I also think that some people have a harder time with reading and writing than others. It was pretty apparently sarcasm to me, and it was also pretty obvious and explicit that he was talking about a specific area, an area that I actually am familiar with and you from your objections to his characterization probably are *not* familiar with, rather than an entire state.

Yea, it's crazy how people can be online at the same time even in the same forum. Totally wild and completely unprecedented.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:47 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yeah, the AZ “jab” was to counter how the remote townhome 45 minutes away was part of the main area of Miami but places like El Cajon, etc—which are closer, half that distance to SD, where you can get a comparable priced townhome must be in Arizona (sarcasm). I also put a smiley at the end of my comment. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, most people would interpret that to take my comment in jest.
That el Cajun place is as pricey as Ft. Lauderdale. That’s incredible

Old 03-16-2023, 12:52 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That el Cajun place is as pricey as Ft. Lauderdale. That’s incredible
Why I don’t rate a place solely by price and/or assume Brand x / restaurant y / town z must be better because it costs more. In some cases, yes; in others, no.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Why I don’t rate a place solely by price and/or assume Brand x / restaurant y / town z must be better because it costs more. In some cases, yes; in others, no.
Yep. We're aligned. SD may cost more than FLA or Miami, doesn't mean it's better. Matter of taste.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I'm surprised this is even remotely close. San Diego is on a much higher level in virtually every category. Better weather, culture, entertainment. The only place Ft. Lauderdale might have a slight edge is beaches, and that's only because the Atlantic is warmer.
Again, Ft. Lauderdale is much more affordable, has warmer waters and is more conservative. All three are important to a good percentage of the world. I'm more surprised SD is winning vs it being lopsided.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:32 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Again, Ft. Lauderdale is much more affordable, has warmer waters and is more conservative. All three are important to a good percentage of the world. I'm more surprised SD is winning vs it being lopsided.
C-D polls tend to get very bizarre results, often stemming from people who have never lived nor spent significant time in either of the regions polled, voting based strictly off of Google maps explorations. Or if they did visit, they spend the entirety of the trip at some "all-inclusive resort" and never actually lived the city.
It makes zero sense for anyone to vote SD over FTL for Entertainment and Nightlife.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:42 PM

376 posts, read 209,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
C-D polls tend to get very bizarre results, often stemming from people who have never lived nor spent significant time in either of the regions polled, voting based strictly off of Google maps explorations. Or if they did visit, they spend the entirety of the trip at some "all-inclusive resort" and never actually lived the city.
It makes zero sense for anyone to vote SD over FTL for Entertainment and Nightlife.

Right.. When the polls skew in favor then it's legitimate but when it doesn't, it's a whole host of factors on why it's wrong

Old 03-16-2023, 01:46 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Right.. When the polls skew in favor then it's legitimate but when it doesn't, it's a whole host of factors on why it's wrong
I didn't say anything about the poll.
I said certain factors make no sense.
SD having better nightlife than FTL is one of the blatant ones. That makes no sense at all.

I don't care for either city btw. But FTL is legitimately a sought-after nightlife/entertainment destination that is part of an even larger, world-class nightlife/entertainment metro area.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:53 PM

376 posts, read 209,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I didn't say anything about the poll.
I said certain factors make no sense.
SD having better nightlife than FTL is one of the blatant ones. That makes no sense at all.

I don't care for either city btw. But FTL is legitimately a sought-after nightlife/entertainment destination that is part of an even larger, world-class nightlife/entertainment metro area.

I mean the poster you were responding to is quite obviously refering to the poll above where SD is winning.
And San Deigo has nightlife/entertaintment aswell, also part of/near an even larger, world-class nightlife/entertainment metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City