Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm from Houston, I went to and graduated from a School that was 30% Black, and my county of Fort Bend that I grew up in is 20%+ black and Harris County has nearly 1,000,000 Black people. I've been to tons of 100% Black neighborhoods in Texas and all over the South, my sister was born in Lafayette, Louisiana the northern side (If you don't know classic railroad town where Black people live in the north and non-blacks live in the South) my dad used to work in a Jail where the plurality of his coworkers were African American and I meet them all the time. Just because i'm in Austin for college doesn't mean I have a perverse view of "African Americans".

Bro you know nothing about me, so please don't try to check me, I definitely have more authority on mainstream Black culture than a Bostonian does. The towns in Texas are more black than most of MA. I only spent the first 7-8 years of my life in Nigeria all of middle school High School and half of Elementary was in the U.S, and so far all of my adult life was in the U.S. Please don't attempt to "check" me again.

Not to mention, Texas has more black people than any other State.
Nah you don’t know more about African American culture than an actual African American... I was raised in a 70-80% black neighborhood, with parents who graduated from Spelman and Trenton Central High School, and I’m actually African American lmao.

I only know what you told me but growing up in a fairly African American area doesn’t make you an expert mostly because you weren’t raised in an African American household. And your extended family is not African American. Nothing more, nothing less needs to be said.

As for Texas, you don’t know all the black people in Texas not do I know all the black people in Massachusetts so what difference does that really make Texas has more black people than Mississippi... is it blacker? No.. Furthermore I can assume that part of why your family was drawn to Houston is because of a bunch of Nigerians are there...no?

If anything you could’ve just lead with your life story rather than that weak reasoning you have earlier because it didn’t really make sense-to me at least. If you were raised in America I guess it’d make sense you’d be Abel to better communicate with Americans than people who speak whatever language it is the Yoruba people speak-that a whole mother continent. We weren’t talking about skin color rather we were talking African American culture. Obviously African Americans and Yoruba people would have different cultures.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-12-2020 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Texas used to be fourth, we only recently took first place, we have the fastest growing Black population of the top 4 states.
It’s still only 11% black and thats the most black people of any state over a huuuuge land area. I could counter with well there more Black people per square mile in Massachusetts than in Texas if were gonna do asinine stats that don’t really capture an individuals lived experience.

But back to the point at hand, by any empirical measure no Canada is not more diverse than the United States.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:49 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
Can we please get off this Canada/USA diversity crap and get back to murder counts.

Remember my fellow Canadians, this is an AMERICAN thread so let us remember and appreciate that. I think the Americans on this thread appreciate us supplying them with Canadian numbers but outside of that, let us try to keep the thread a US one. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:23 PM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Baltimore not having a great February. 15 for the month, 41 total for the year. Last year there were 19 homicides for the entire month of February.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:43 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia is still at its highest point in over 10 years, but February has slowed a bit and the new police commissioner started this week.

Amazing that Baltimore is almost equal with Philadelphia... considering how much smaller it is.
Yep, the relatively warm weather this winter has not helped.. at all

Old 02-12-2020, 07:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It’s still only 11% black and thats the most black people of any state over a huuuuge land area. I could counter with well there more Black people per square mile in Massachusetts than in Texas if were gonna do asinine stats that don’t really capture an individuals lived experience.

But back to the point at hand, by any empirical measure no Canada is not more diverse than the United States.
I don't disagree here America is more diverse than Canada but by any cultural measurement African American culture is more similar to White American culture than Quebecois culture is to White Anglo culture. That is undeniable, and this can be backed by empirical data, language and religion to a latter extent as well as geographical separation will lead to more cultural differences. The White Anglo population is more separated from the Quebecois than the African American population. I lead with my life story because you said my view is "perverse" because I was African that's insulting. Also you being African American doesn't mean anything, of course you feel your culture is largely different from White Americans, because you don't see the outsider perspective.
The Texas thing is completely tongue in cheek and I would counter that Massachusetts have nothing on the Black population East of I-35 which is where 90%+ live, and where 70% of Texans live.

Name 3 ways African American culture is more different from Mainstream America than Quebecois HBCU's don't garner a different culture imho and the majority of students of African American descent don't got to one in the first place. Prairie View A and M as well as TSU are in the Houston area- non of the graduates come with a different culture anytime I talk to them, someone speaking a different language is infinitely going to have more trouble connecting culturally than skin color and historical separation.

Even food, i've had this argument before and someone brought up Chitlins... as if black people eat Chitlins often enough to considered a major cultural difference.

Also on murder rates does anyone have the updated statistics for Houston?

Old 02-12-2020, 08:29 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Nah you don’t know more about African American culture than an actual African American... I was raised in a 70-80% black neighborhood, with parents who graduated from Spelman and Trenton Central High School, and I’m actually African American lmao.

I only know what you told me but growing up in a fairly African American area doesn’t make you an expert mostly because you weren’t raised in an African American household. And your extended family is not African American. Nothing more, nothing less needs to be said.

As for Texas, you don’t know all the black people in Texas not do I know all the black people in Massachusetts so what difference does that really make Texas has more black people than Mississippi... is it blacker? No.. Furthermore I can assume that part of why your family was drawn to Houston is because of a bunch of Nigerians are there...no?

If anything you could’ve just lead with your life story rather than that weak reasoning you have earlier because it didn’t really make sense-to me at least. If you were raised in America I guess it’d make sense you’d be Abel to better communicate with Americans than people who speak whatever language it is the Yoruba people speak-that a whole mother continent. We weren’t talking about skin color rather we were talking African American culture. Obviously African Americans and Yoruba people would have different cultures.
So one needs to have a certain pedigree in order to be allowed to say anything about African-Americans?????

Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree here America is more diverse than Canada but by any cultural measurement African American culture is more similar to White American culture than Quebecois culture is to White Anglo culture. That is undeniable, and this can be backed by empirical data, language and religion to a latter extent as well as geographical separation will lead to more cultural differences. The White Anglo population is more separated from the Quebecois than the African American population. I lead with my life story because you said my view is "perverse" because I was African that's insulting. Also you being African American doesn't mean anything, of course you feel your culture is largely different from White Americans, because you don't see the outsider perspective.
The Texas thing is completely tongue in cheek and I would counter that Massachusetts have nothing on the Black population East of I-35 which is where 90%+ live, and where 70% of Texans live.

Name 3 ways African American culture is more different from Mainstream America than Quebecois HBCU's don't garner a different culture imho and the majority of students of African American descent don't got to one in the first place. Prairie View A and M as well as TSU are in the Houston area- non of the graduates come with a different culture anytime I talk to them, someone speaking a different language is infinitely going to have more trouble connecting culturally than skin color and historical separation.

Even food, i've had this argument before and someone brought up Chitlins... as if black people eat Chitlins often enough to considered a major cultural difference.

Also on murder rates does anyone have the updated statistics for Houston?
Let me ask you this what exactly are the major cultural and economic differences between anglo and french canadians. I dotn think your considering the full picture

Whats the wealth gap between French and AngloCandians?
Whats the homeownership gap between French and AngloCandians?
Whats the education gap between French and AngloCandians?
Whats the life expectancy gap between French and AngloCandians?
How does family structure French and Anglo Canadians?

These are colossal divides between white and black Americans

As for the chitlins comment this is exactly what i'm saying when im saying you aren't raise din the household. At every major holiday my South Jersey family eats chitlins. So yes it is a big part of the culture even if we don't eat it all the time.

Whats their recreation like? Not many Black Americans ski, or watch nascar, or sail.

What about athletics do French Canadians play Hockey and Anglo Canadians don't? I don't know many black swimmer or that many white sprinters.

The Box in Houston is a station targeted at African Americans whos listeners ship is very likely 90%+ African American as almost all Urban Contemporary stations are.

Maybe the fact that you've had variations of argument with educated african americans should tell you maybe you're missing something. Also keep in mind you're coming from Houston the most integrated place in the US ....with a considerably smaller cultural gap between whites and black than say...California or Connecticut or Chicago or Miami. It's not really representative of the "norm" because there are so many blacks flocking there for wealth and to be a part of the mainstream middle class. I think that could have a huge impact in how you perceive closeness of white and black culture.

Most black people don't live in an integrated thriving metropolis with heavily blurred cultural line like Houston. You need only go eats to the Mississippi Delta to a complete 180. I may have a Boston and Baltimore bias where I see starker cultural/economic/societal divides than is the 'norm' you may have a HOuston bias where you don't see as large a cultural divide as is the norm. I think that's very plausible

Old 02-13-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So one needs to have a certain pedigree in order to be allowed to say anything about African-Americans?????
Not anything but when were having a discussion this nuanced and detailed your 'expertise' and background matters.

I'm only vaguely familiar with French Canadian culture, most of what i know is real or learned from Acadians from Northern New England.

Aside from language and province i really don't know what the differences between Anglo and French canadians aside from French Canadian are sort of the smaller less dominate group, with more of a European and classical tinge.. But French 'Canadiens' wanting to be separate from Canada isn't all that unique. Many in California, or Vermont or Texas or the PNW-even some African Americans- want to be separate from the US, every country has folks like that.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:16 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Flint town at 0 until february 9th according to Flint police: https://www.cityofflint.com/wp-conte...un_2020_2a.pdf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City