Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2022, 03:21 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In what universe?
Right ! Two different cities there is nothing similar about them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 05:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Their cores are definitely the biggest difference between the two and is the primary the feel so distinct. That being said Philly is a substantially larger city and with that comes the advantages of that population density that Baltimore simply lacks.

2022 estimates

Philly MSA GDP per capita:
$521.7 Billion / 6.23 million = $83,739

Baltimore MSA GDP per capita:
$238.6 Billion/ 2.85 million = $83,719

Economically they are virtually identical at parity. But I agree Baltimore & Philly are not carbon copies of each other at different scales
Fair. I was looking at GDP per capita from 2017 that had Philadelphia at $63,519 per capita and Baltimore at $59,079, but obviously that has changed since COVID.

Obviously any comparison of "poor man's version" (which I agree with a recent poster who noted this is a derogatory way to frame things when it simply could have been framed "miniature," "twin," etc.) is going to be imperfect. I understand why some people chose Baltimore for Philadelphia's "poor man version" given the similarities many of its neighborhoods have with North and South Philly. IMO, Philadelphia is like 1/4 NYC, 1/4 Boston, 1/4 Baltimore, and 1/4 distinctly Philadelphia.

How is Baltimore just so "socially" similar to Philadelphia? I can see that dynamic with North Philadelphia and parts of West Philadelphia that are north of Market. I really cannot see that with rest of Philadelphia. Socially, Center City reminds me much more of Manhattan and Boston. Socially, the Riverwards area (No. Libs., Fishtown, E. Kensington) reminds me of Brooklyn. Socially, University City feels more like a mini Cambridge than it does akin to Charles Village, etc.

I just don't see nearly the overwhelmingly strong connection that so many do. Not to be dismissive, but I feel like people who say Baltimore is a mini Philadelphia see some rowhomes and working class Black people and think, oh hey, they're the same!

Old 10-23-2022, 06:30 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Fair. I was looking at GDP per capita from 2017 that had Philadelphia at $63,519 per capita and Baltimore at $59,079, but obviously that has changed since COVID.

Obviously any comparison of "poor man's version" (which I agree with a recent poster who noted this is a derogatory way to frame things when it simply could have been framed "miniature," "twin," etc.) is going to be imperfect. I understand why some people chose Baltimore for Philadelphia's "poor man version" given the similarities many of its neighborhoods have with North and South Philly. IMO, Philadelphia is like 1/4 NYC, 1/4 Boston, 1/4 Baltimore, and 1/4 distinctly Philadelphia.

How is Baltimore just so "socially" similar to Philadelphia? I can see that dynamic with North Philadelphia and parts of West Philadelphia that are north of Market. I really cannot see that with rest of Philadelphia. Socially, Center City reminds me much more of Manhattan and Boston. Socially, the Riverwards area (No. Libs., Fishtown, E. Kensington) reminds me of Brooklyn. Socially, University City feels more like a mini Cambridge than it does akin to Charles Village, etc.

I just don't see nearly the overwhelmingly strong connection that so many do. Not to be dismissive, but I feel like people who say Baltimore is a mini Philadelphia see some rowhomes and working class Black people and think, oh hey, they're the same!
There is a fair take from a Philadelphian. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, almost nobody I know from Philly thinks about or compares the city in any way to Baltimore. They certainly don’t consider themselves a “big bro/sis” to Baltimore. Yes, they both has row homes, but that is it.

It is only people from Baltimore (MD/DC) that have this obsession about being related to Philly in some way. I think they view their relationship with Philly this way to be connected to the Northeast somehow. It’s odd because Baltimore is not on anyone’s minds in Philly, yet there seems to be a borderline obsession from the other side.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
There is a fair take from a Philadelphian. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, almost nobody I know from Philly thinks about or compares the city in any way to Baltimore. They certainly don’t consider themselves a “big bro/sis” to Baltimore. Yes, they both has row homes, but that is it.

It is only people from Baltimore (MD/DC) that have this obsession about being related to Philly in some way. I think they view their relationship with Philly this way to be connected to the Northeast somehow. It’s odd because Baltimore is not on anyone’s minds in Philly, yet there seems to be a borderline obsession from the other side.
Haha, thanks. Ever since my partner moved from Philadelphia to Baltimore for grad school, I am keen on reminding C-Ders that the rowhome + demographic connection does not mean the two cities are mirror images of one another, as if Philadelphia is just the larger mirror.

FWIW, my partner dearly misses Philadelphia. He lives on the border of Downtown and Inner Harbor, and the experience there compared to the experience in Center City Philadelphia is night and day. I will say, he got a complete bargain on a beautiful apartment with a view. You definitely couldn't get something like he has in Downtown Baltimore in Center City Philadelphia for that price.

As much as he misses it here, he is always looking for the upsides of Baltimore. The waterfront there is much nicer, and I do have to say, I enjoy our early morning runs along the harbor. He is always emphasizing that aspect of Baltimore. I hate to be a downer, but I don't think Inner Harbor is quite as nice as he tries to sell it to me, lol. I still prefer my runs along MLK Dr. and the Wiss. "Homer" much?

Old 10-23-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Haha, thanks. Ever since my partner moved from Philadelphia to Baltimore for grad school, I am keen on reminding C-Ders that the rowhome + demographic connection does not mean the two cities are mirror images of one another, as if Philadelphia is just the larger mirror.

FWIW, my partner dearly misses Philadelphia. He lives on the border of Downtown and Inner Harbor, and the experience there compared to the experience in Center City Philadelphia is night and day. I will say, he got a complete bargain on a beautiful apartment with a view. You definitely couldn't get something like he has in Downtown Baltimore in Center City Philadelphia for that price.

As much as he misses it here, he is always looking for the upsides of Baltimore. The waterfront there is much nicer, and I do have to say, I enjoy our early morning runs along the harbor. He is always emphasizing that aspect of Baltimore. I hate to be a downer, but I don't think Inner Harbor is quite as nice as he tries to sell it to me, lol. I still prefer my runs along MLK Dr. and the Wiss. "Homer" much?
Agree with all of this. Even demographically, they are not very similar. Philly is far more diverse, and has more and larger ethnic enclaves than Baltimore (or even DC for that matter) at a city-proper level.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
It would seem to me that there are just a few examples of this in the USA if you were really to look at what cities had to offer, their economies, their vibes, and their actual costs of living comparisons. To that end, I'd offer up the following:

Chicago and Philly are a poor man's NYC
Portland is a poor man's San Francisco. I might have added Seattle as a poor man's SF too but it's gotten too expensive.
Austin and Raleigh are a poor man's San Jose
Houston and Phoenix are a poor man's Los Angeles.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:

I’m typing this from a hotel in the Inner Harbor. I’m been joking with my significant other - how I’d Baltimore still losing population with all the waterfront development?

There are certain things that Baltimore does or has better: the waterfront, the wider streets, a highway system that isn’t a laughable disgrace. And they seem to approve bigger development outside of downtown, almost as if they aren’t afraid of being a big city. I realize I’ll get flak for my highway comment, and I realize we have a much more robust transit system, but plenty of fantastic cities with great downtowns also have developed and adequate highway systems: NYC, Boston, DC, and Chicago come to mind. Maybe Baltimore can siphon some well-to-do folks from DC over time, but I don’t think the Philadelphia crowd should be ripping on Baltimore quite as much as is going on here.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I’m typing this from a hotel in the Inner Harbor. I’m been joking with my significant other - how I’d Baltimore still losing population with all the waterfront development?

There are certain things that Baltimore does or has better: the waterfront, the wider streets, a highway system that isn’t a laughable disgrace. And they seem to approve bigger development outside of downtown, almost as if they aren’t afraid of being a big city. I realize I’ll get flak for my highway comment, and I realize we have a much more robust transit system, but plenty of fantastic cities with great downtowns also have developed and adequate highway systems: NYC, Boston, DC, and Chicago come to mind. Maybe Baltimore can siphon some well-to-do folks from DC over time, but I don’t think the Philadelphia crowd should be ripping on Baltimore quite as much as is going on here.
Wait, seriously, how was I ripping on Baltimore? Or are you referring to some other poster? Also, can you elaborate on the joke re: waterfront development and declining population?

Fwiw, as a kind of anti-car driver myself, I don’t really see the need for more highways as much as I do repairing and improving the ones we’ve currently got. But yeah getting into Baltimore by car is definitely less of a hassle than Philadelphia.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Wait, seriously, how was I ripping on Baltimore? Or are you referring to some other poster? Also, can you elaborate on the joke re: waterfront development and declining population?

Fwiw, as a kind of anti-car driver myself, I don’t really see the need for more highways as much as I do repairing and improving the ones we’ve currently got. But yeah getting into Baltimore by car is definitely less of a hassle than Philadelphia.

Also saying "Baltimore has more big city development outside of downtown" is patently untrue

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-23-2022 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:

The poster may have been referring to me, but it was no rip on Baltimore. Having grown up in the Baltimore area, and having lived in Philly, my only comments are that outside of some row homes, Baltimore is not very comparable to Philly in any meaningful way. And Philly does not view Baltimore as a “little bro/sis” as a poster indicated. Living in Philly, Philly seemed to have a very strong relationship with NYC, NJ, and DE. There is not really ever any mention of Baltimore (or DC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City