Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More cosmopolitan?
Boston 104 82.54%
Las Vegas 22 17.46%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:09 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Boston cuisine is pretty bad, both national and international.
Seafood, Good Italian and its the 5th most diverse dining scene in the country with 58 represnted country plates. Also 2 of the top 50 best steakhouses are in the city limits.

I wouldnt call it bad by any means. Neither Las Vegas too. Boston id Very Good and Las Vegas is as well. Both do not lack in the dining scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Boston.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:36 AM

330 posts, read 293,824 times
As a LA native working in NYC, I have been to both Boston and Las Vegas many times.

Boston(Copley Square/Quincy Market/City Hall/South Station/North End/Boston Commons/Beacon Hill until the Charlestown river bridge) is definitely way more cosmopolitan than Vegas, especially if we consider areas such as Henderson/Downtown Vegas. I absolutely like downtown Boston where you can see the older buildings next to the modern buildings and it offers such a contrast between the two.

But I would argue that no where in the country other than Midtown Manhattan offers the level of vibrancy/entertainment/shopping/dining options of the Las Vegas strip especially over such a concentrated area.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 02-26-2020 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Hold on, guys. I think you're forgetting that Las Vegas has a hotel called The Cosmopolitan - clearly that means it's the winner here.
Unclearly! Lol

Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Seafood, Good Italian and its the 5th most diverse dining scene in the country with 58 represnted country plates. Also 2 of the top 50 best steakhouses are in the city limits.

I wouldnt call it bad by any means. Neither Las Vegas too. Boston id Very Good and Las Vegas is as well. Both do not lack in the dining scene.
Boston doesn't have any good Italian food, it has some Italian-American food and I cannot think of much spectacular seafood, on the other hand I find it quite expensive.

Anyway, this is kind of a matter of personal taste I guess.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Boston doesn't have any good Italian food, it has some Italian-American food and I cannot think of much spectacular seafood, on the other hand I find it quite expensive.

Anyway, this is kind of a matter of personal taste I guess.
Eh it rsnks high on both categories. Probably easily top 5 best food cities. For Italian food? Hit the North End. For Asian Food? Somerville or Cbridge. For Seafood? Any seaport town like Gloucester, Rockport or Marblehead. Or Long Wharf/Dot. Good Roadt Beef? Revere.

Best pizza in the country was voted Reginas. Although my favorite Pizza place in the country is Lynwood Spa in Randolph followed by Santarpios in Eastie. And ive been to many pizza places in NY NJ CT PA etc.

Its all where you go, but saying a top 10 food city is bad is just ignorant. That goes for Las Vegas too.

Las Vegas has spectacular food, and its known for its buffets and gourmet food scene.

But again this isnt a debate on how good each city is for food, thats been long established that both have spectacular and well known food scenes.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:49 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
And Boston is 53% white, so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

Also, if you are referring to The Caribbean that is considered part of North America, not Central America...and you are ignoring South America and Europe...Cuba is nothing like Brazil which is nothing like Spain which is nothing like Aruba which is nothing like Portugal which is nothing like Colombia which is nothing like Peru and on and on and on (let alone other Europeans, Russians, etc etc).

But I’m NOT saying Boston is not cosmopolitan because more than half its population is white..it still is. Just because a city does not have a large Asian population does not mean it is not cosmopolitan...are some Asian cities not cosmopolitan because they do not have a large Latino population?.

Vegas is even more white, 62%, and has less diverse residents than Boston.

Quote:
According to data you can find here Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

35% of people living in Miami have Cuban ancestry, 17% Central American. That's half the entire population, it's huge. Asians are less than 1% combined (including west Asians).

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2020 at 01:22 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 10:51 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Also, if you are referring to The Caribbean that is considered part of North America, not Central America...and you are ignoring South America and Europe...Cuba is nothing like Brazil which is nothing like Spain which is nothing like Aruba which is nothing like Portugal which is nothing like Colombia which is nothing like Peru and on and on and on (let alone other Europeans, Russians, etc etc).

But I’m NOT saying Boston is not cosmopolitan because more than half its population is white..it still is. Just because a city does not have a large Asian population does not mean it is not cosmopolitan...are many Asian cities not cosmopolitan because they do not have a large Latino population?
Both Vegas and Boston are more than 50% whit me including Hispanic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...vada/PST045219

Boston is actually less white non Hispanic(43.9%) than Vegas is so that’s dead in this comparison. They’re demographically similar on a city level with roughly inverted black and Latino populations. Even that’s not accurate though.as Hispanics Are nearly equal to blacks in boston number wise. Also there are few (if any) Hispanic that appear white in Boston when compared to Western states, many of them are Afro-Latino and they are socioeconomically and geographically paired with blacks rather than whites. They actually tend to fair worse in Boston than blacks do.

Also with nearly 70k Asian and 10% Asian is nearly double the national average and a fairly large Asian population in raw numbers.

We should also mention Boston likely has better or at least more authentic Caribbean, African and Vietnamese/Chinese cuisine than Vegas.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

But I’m NOT saying Boston is not cosmopolitan because more than half its population is white..it still is. Just because a city does not have a large Asian population does not mean it is not cosmopolitan...are many Asian cities not cosmopolitan because they do not have a large Latino population?
Are you including hispanic whites? Non Hispanic Whites constitute 43% of the Population. The 10% that are Hispanic White are very much different and if you group them in with regular NHW's, your missing and marginalizing a whole population.

Same with NYC its 31% NHW, but with HW, would be over 42% White.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Are you including hispanic whites? Non Hispanic Whites constitute 43% of the Population. The 10% that are Hispanic White are very much different and if you group them in with regular NHW's, your missing and marginalizing a whole population.

Same with NYC its 31% NHW, but with HW, would be over 42% White.
Miami would be ~70% “white”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City