Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More cosmopolitan?
Boston 104 82.54%
Las Vegas 22 17.46%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times

Advertisements

Doesn’t Boston also have a noticeable Brazilian and/or Portuguese population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Both Vegas and Boston are more than 50% whit me including Hispanic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...vada/PST045219

Boston is actually less white non Hispanic(43.9%) than Vegas is so that’s dead in this comparison. They’re demographically similar on a city level with roughly inverted black and Latino populations. Even that’s not accurate though.as Hispanics Are nearly equal to blacks in boston number wise. Also there are few (if any) Hispanic that appear white in Boston when compared to Western states, many of them are Afro-Latino and they are socioeconomically and geographically paired with blacks rather than whites. They actually tend to fair worse in Boston than blacks do.

Also with nearly 70k Asian and 10% Asian is nearly double the national average and a fairly large Asian population in raw numbers.

We should also mention Boston likely has better or at least more authentic Caribbean, African and Vietnamese/Chinese cuisine than Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 11:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes, this was just on TV:

https://boston.eater.com/maps/boston...sport-required

Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Yes-most Brazilian state in the nation and most Brazilian metro. Second most Portuguese state in the nation after RI. Brazilians tend to concentrate north of the city itself and Portuguese are mostly in the far southern burbs and into the Providence MSA. Although I did go to school with a Portuguese-Irish kid from West Roxbury.

In the 2000 census there were more Portuguese speakers than Spanish speakers in MA. That’s obviously changed since then but still significant.

Also many Armenians and Iranians in Boston and the area.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:43 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Eh it rsnks high on both categories. Probably easily top 5 best food cities. For Italian food? Hit the North End. For Asian Food? Somerville or Cbridge. For Seafood? Any seaport town like Gloucester, Rockport or Marblehead. Or Long Wharf/Dot. Good Roadt Beef? Revere.

Best pizza in the country was voted Reginas. Although my favorite Pizza place in the country is Lynwood Spa in Randolph followed by Santarpios in Eastie. And ive been to many pizza places in NY NJ CT PA etc.
As I said these are just opinions. Not less valid than mine of course but I wouldn't say that because some survey voted Regina best pizza in the country Regina IS actually best pizza in the country. I bet there are 100s of other surveys that vote some other pizzeria "best in the country".

I have been in Italy a lot and the food you can eat there has very little to do whit what you find in Boston, so I have hard time saying that Boston has great Italian food. Maybe great Italian-American food.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And Boston is 53% white, so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

Also, if you are referring to The Caribbean that is considered part of North America, not Central America...and you are ignoring South America and Europe...Cuba is nothing like Brazil which is nothing like Spain which is nothing like Aruba which is nothing like Portugal which is nothing like Colombia which is nothing like Peru and on and on and on (let alone other Europeans, Russians, etc etc).

But I’m NOT saying Boston is not cosmopolitan because more than half its population is white..it still is. Just because a city does not have a large Asian population does not mean it is not cosmopolitan...are some Asian cities not cosmopolitan because they do not have a large Latino population?.

Vegas is even more white, 62%, and has less diverse residents than Boston.
53% white doesn't mean anything beacuse this include 1st generation immigrants, as much as people with eastern European ancestry down to probably people with middle Turkish ancestry (I am not sure about the guidlines now, but until not too long ago everyone in north Africa and middle east was considered white.

On the other hand 1/3 of the population is Cuban. Not Latino, Cuban. It's like saying that 1/3 of Boston population is Irish. It isn't.
And I specifically mentioned Central America, I don't know why you talk about Colombia, Peru and Brazil. The 50% of the population only includes Cuban and central America. The entirety of the Latino population is 70% in Miami, but it's irrelevant because as you also said the differences are huge. But Central Americans are a lot more homogeneous than Peruvian and Brazilians.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Are you including hispanic whites? Non Hispanic Whites constitute 43% of the Population. The 10% that are Hispanic White are very much different and if you group them in with regular NHW's, your missing and marginalizing a whole population.

Same with NYC its 31% NHW, but with HW, would be over 42% White.
I never realized that Boston is a minority-majority city. I wonder how many major cities are left where native NHW (excluding white immigrants) are over 50% of the population.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:09 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I never realized that Boston is a minority-majority city. I wonder how many major cities are left where native NHW (excluding white immigrants) are over 50% of the population.
Yeah its Black (NH) and White (NH) populations have been dropping in recent years. I believe as late as 2000 Boston was 60% White.

Im genuinely surprised Boston isnt at least 15% Asian (NH) yet.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Boston’s been majority-minority since 2000.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah its Black (NH) and White (NH) populations have been dropping in recent years. I believe as late as 2000 Boston was 60% White.

Boston was 49.5% NHW in 2000 and 59% NHW in 1990

Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:

It likely won’t be that for -~20 years or so

Also Boston black population as a percentage has risen since 2010 from 22.4% to 23.1%. In 200 the city was 24.4% black but its overall population has never gone down in any US census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City