Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma vs. Alabama?
Oklahoma 69 49.29%
Alabama 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:42 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Yes but those are the only two metros that seems to be growing the rest of the metro/micros are shrinking, most metros in Alabama are growing, Birmingham MSA, Mobile CSA, Tuscaloosa MSA, Huntsville MSA/CSA, Auburn MSA, Dothan MSA, Even Montgomery MSA. According to my calculations Mobile CSA and Birmingham MSA may have actually grew a little more than Huntsville MSA/CSA based on my calculation (my calculations was less than 1% off of what the actual census said was correct so I’m confident in my math) even Montgomery MSA gained about 20k. So again Oklahoma has had two big cities that’s growing but Alabama but has at least 7 metros that are growing and this total growth is much larger than the total growth of Tulsa and OKC together
Your calculations?

The census says that Montgomery and Mobile's MSAs both lost population and OKC alone grew about as much as all of Alabama's MSAs combined.

The Census says that Oklahoma has five MSAs and four of them grew. Alabama has 12 and only seven of them grew.

Total growth of MSAs in Oklahoma was 237k to Alabama's 173k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 10:13 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,216,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Your calculations?

The census says that Montgomery and Mobile's MSAs both lost population and OKC alone grew about as much as all of Alabama's MSAs combined.

The Census says that Oklahoma has five MSAs and four of them grew. Alabama has 12 and only seven of them grew.

Total growth of MSAs in Oklahoma was 237k to Alabama's 173k.

No, Alabama was shorthanded 125k these past 10 years until the real 2020 census. I created a simple yet thoughtful equation based on housing stock that estimates population gains and where these 125k people are. When I finished my equations and combined them the total projected population gain was 126k, so my math is pretty solid it seems. This math shows that Birmingham MSA and Mobile CSA were the big players shorthanded these past 10 years with slow to stagnant growth in these area that just are untrue. Montgomery MS also gained about 20k population according to my calculations. So of course I can't confirm until the census update, but given the simplicity of real estate and my math knowledge, I'm highly confident in my math to an error of about 1-4% which means there won't be much variation among my math. So again means that Alabama outpaced Oklahoma, Which makes sense since as Alabama gained 37k more people during the 2020 Census time

Old 07-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
No, Alabama was shorthanded 125k these past 10 years until the real 2020 census. I created a simple yet thoughtful equation based on housing stock that estimates population gains and where these 125k people are. When I finished my equations and combined them the total projected population gain was 126k, so my math is pretty solid it seems. This math shows that Birmingham MSA and Mobile CSA were the big players shorthanded these past 10 years with slow to stagnant growth in these area that just are untrue. Montgomery MS also gained about 20k population according to my calculations. So of course I can't confirm until the census update, but given the simplicity of real estate and my math knowledge, I'm highly confident in my math to an error of about 1-4% which means there won't be much variation among my math. So again means that Alabama outpaced Oklahoma, Which makes sense since as Alabama gained 37k more people during the 2020 Census time
I think I'll stick with the official estimates from the professionals until they are proven wrong.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:05 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,216,731 times
Quote:
I think I'll stick with the official estimates from the professionals until they are proven wrong.

I wouldn't call them "professionals" but anyways they've already proven themselves wrong, for the past 10 years in fact. The metro populations are estimates so that means they are still 125k behind what the actual census says, which still makes your comparisons VERY false. Just looking at the basic numbers can give you sense of where the short falls have been

Old 07-10-2021, 05:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Your calculations?

The Census says that Oklahoma has five MSAs and four of them grew.
What are they other than Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Lawton?

Old 07-10-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What are they other than Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Lawton?
Enid and Fort Smith, AR. Stillwater will likely be one soon. It's also very possible that NWA will add Oklahoma counties. Enid may slide out of being a MSA if the city falls under 50k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklaho...tistical_areas

Old 07-10-2021, 11:29 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,364 times
For what it's worth, Alabama has 12 MSAs.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:17 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
2020 US Census estimates.
Do you have a link? I've not seen them.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Again, Birmingham is in the same range as Oklahoma's cities. The other three are not.
Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery may not be in the same tier as OKC and Tulsa, but Oklahoma has no other real cities besides those two either. Alabama has more urban variety compared to Oklahoma but OKC and Tulsa appear to be more distinct from each other than most might think.

Quote:
Birmingham is a city with a real downtown. But a pretty miserable city that has lost almost half it's population in the last several decades and is a crime disaster.
Why do you say Birmingham is a "pretty miserable city"? Certainly it lost a large share of its population because of heavy White flight in the 60s and 70s in the wake of some pretty transformative social justice victories that were fought and won in the city as well as the prevailing national socioeconomic climate at the time as other cities did. Good thing have definitely been happening in the city over the past several years though.

Quote:
Mobile is a small city with a small downtown and is a city I like a lot. Montgomery and Huntsville are nothing more than large towns with sprawling suburbs. In the Oklahoma region much like NWA.
Montgomery has a respectable urban core for its size with some historically significant tourist attractions and I saw where the city just broke ground on its downtown whitewater course which should be cool. Huntsville's strengths are mostly socioeconomic in nature and not when it comes to things that are more traditionally urban.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't call them "professionals" but anyways they've already proven themselves wrong, for the past 10 years in fact. The metro populations are estimates so that means they are still 125k behind what the actual census says, which still makes your comparisons VERY false. Just looking at the basic numbers can give you sense of where the short falls have been
Of course they are professionals. The yearly estimates are just that: estimates. The Census folks have a methodology for determining the estimates which of course have their margins of error and when they determine that the official decennial Census counts vary with intercensus estimates to great enough extent that it indicates significant under or overcounting of populations, they publicize that and issue the appropriate modifications. One of the most significant marks of a professional is recognizing and owning statistical errors, making the proper corrections, and publicizing such matters. And keeping in mind that it's well over 300M bodies in the U.S. to gather and analyze data for, the Bureau does a pretty good job under normal circumstances. With that said, last year's circumstances were absolutely NOT normal so I wouldn't be surprised if more challenges to population data are levied for the 2020 Census compared to any other in recent history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City