Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma vs. Alabama?
Oklahoma 69 49.29%
Alabama 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
you said "Downtown is as ugly and uninviting as OKC's downtown."

nothing you wrote above mentions downtown.
Split hairs:>) Downtown is nothing but concrete and wanna be artsy, no place to park, university and hospitals. Dingy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I don’t know that either state stands out from the other.
Very different states, but they also cancel each other out.
My personal preference would give Oklahoma a slight edge for being drier, more sparse, and closer to wide open spaces of the west.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Pull up Google Maps and you will see that the dividing lines between surrounding towns have vanished. Downtown is as ugly and uninviting as OKC's downtown.
Downtown Oklahoma City has changed for the better since 1990s with a new 70 acre park built next to it.

Maybe thread should have been titled Oklahoma City vs Birmingham.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Downtown Oklahoma City has changed for the better since 1990s with a new 70 acre park built next to it.

Those two are a good competition, but I think when comparing the two states, there's still an edge to AL for many people for its location. It has beaches within its borders. It's closer to numerous other beaches all around the Gulf and Atlantic. It's closer to many other major population centers. My point of comparison of Birmingham to OKC was because as a city guy who could never live outside a major city's urban center, those would be the only two places I'd consider in either state. I mean unless of course Tulsa is actually better but I have no knowledge of that.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:

Does northeast Alabama have a higher mountain than Mt. Scott in southwest Oklahoma, elevation 2,264 ft.? There are other contenders, such as the world's highest hill by Poteau, OK. It's 1,999 ft. about its base. Elevation is 2,385 ft. above sea level. Mountains don't start until 2000 ft. I've driven to the top of both mountains. I liked the Mt. Scott drive better, because the scenery wasn't blocked as much by trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mjFRZI-bw
You really need to go by prominence (bottom to top). Mount Scott's prominence is just a little over 800 feet which is way less than Alabama's Mt Cheaha at 1,444 feet.

That being said, there are multiple Oklahoma peaks that dwarf Mt. Scott. Sugarloaf Mt is the highest at 1880 feet prominence. You mentioned Cavanal Hill at Poteau. It's 1835 feet (the 1999 ft thing is pure chamber of commerce BS).

There are several more mountains in Oklahoma that are both higher in pure elevation and higher in prominence than Mt Cheaha.

Moreover, Oklahoma elevation ranges roughly from 500 feet (SE corner) to 4500 (Black Mesa in NW corner) feet across the state. Alabama goes from sea level to 2,407 feet (Mt Cheaha).

That along with radical changes in moisture levels and weather patterns in Oklahoma make Oklahoma far more varied in terrain, topography and climate than Alabama. This is not to say that a random chunk of Alabama isn't prettier country than a random chunk of Oklahoma.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Mount Cheaha - the testing drive for motorcycles and a graveyard for those who do not make it as well as for airplanes. But unless you know about the old cannon road it is the end of the Blue Ridge Highway. I actually ran out of gas and SO had to lay my beasty down to get the last few drops. Scared was an understatement the way tourist rubberneck the scenerie and ignore the road. It was a once in a lifetime!!!!

Old 03-24-2020, 07:07 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mean unless of course Tulsa is actually better but I have no knowledge of that.
Tulsa is a jewel. I actually prefer it to OKC but can understand why most prefer OKC. Still, I'd take Tulsa over any city in Alabama any day of the week. Part of it is because I'm a sucker for art deco, and downtown Tulsa has a great collection of art deco high rises. Tulsa is located in the hilly, forested part of Oklahoma, similar in landscape to Birmingham although downtown Tulsa isn't hilly like Birmingham. Tulsa has a higher per capita GDP ($55,436) than either OKC ($48,935) or Birmingham ($48,640). Even Alabama's much-touted Huntsville's is lower ($49,792).

About the only disadvantage of Tulsa is that every single freeway leading to Tulsa is a toll road.

From wikimedia:

Old 03-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
About the only disadvantage of Tulsa is that every single freeway leading to Tulsa is a toll road.
Highway 51/64 leading into Tulsa from the west is free. It's only 2 lanes and not in as good condition as Cimarron Turnpike. Highway 75 going south to Tulsa from Bartlesville is free. Bartlesville has Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper that was built. The town's unique community center was designed by an apprentice of Wright. Its 1700 seat concert hall is regarded as among the finest in the country.

Yes, Tulsa is a jewel and more scenic than Oklahoma City. While not bigger than Birmingham metro, it has outgrown it since 2010.

About Oklahoma City's only source of scenery not too far away can be found with the Crosstimbers on some low hills just to the northeast of the city limits.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-24-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:

There was already a Oklahoma City vs Birmingham poll. Oklahoma City won it 63 to 37%.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Those two are a good competition, but I think when comparing the two states, there's still an edge to AL for many people for its location. It has beaches within its borders. It's closer to numerous other beaches all around the Gulf and Atlantic. It's closer to many other major population centers. My point of comparison of Birmingham to OKC was because as a city guy who could never live outside a major city's urban center, those would be the only two places I'd consider in either state. I mean unless of course Tulsa is actually better but I have no knowledge of that.
Tulsa has a Saks Fifth Avenue in upscale Utica Square. Tulsa's new near half billion dollar park tries to make up for having no amusement park and outdoes Oklahoma City's new park. But I doubt the Tulsa hills stand out as much as hills do in Birmingham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKHg6IfivQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City