Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma vs. Alabama?
Oklahoma 69 49.29%
Alabama 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Having this matchup is fair for me since I normally will inherently choose the more liberal state as my preferred. In this situation, neither is liberal whatsoever.

That said, Birmingham does seem more cultural with what seems to be a stronger urban core and I believe a better culinary scene? I enjoyed my time in Mobile. Had fun bar hopping. Fairhope was really cute. I like that Alabama has beaches. It feels more connected to other places with Mobile being a short drive to Nola and Birmingham being close to Atlanta/Nashville.
Well, why focus simply on the more liberal area, when you enjoyed Mobile so much and Mobile is right-leaning?

Admit it, a place can be conservative and still be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 01:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Well, why focus simply on the more liberal area, when you enjoyed Mobile so much and Mobile is right-leaning?

Admit it, a place can be conservative and still be awesome.
Yes, but my personal preference of places especially of where to live is always going to be the more liberal option. In this situation, when it's between two conservative places, I can view as something more than their political atmosphere.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Alabama. Their tornado risk is lower than OK, there's more topographical variance, and it has a coastline.
Oklahoma actually has a surprisingly rugged landscape in much of the eastern part of the state, and certain areas further west as well.

However, Alabama's key population centers tend to be located closer to (or within) the more picturesque areas. Birmingham and Huntsville are easily more visually attractive than Oklahoma City ... but I wouldn't say the same for Montgomery vs. Tulsa.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Oklahoma actually has a surprisingly rugged landscape in much of the eastern part of the state, and certain areas further west as well.

However, Alabama's key population centers tend to be located closer to (or within) the more picturesque areas. Birmingham and Huntsville are easily more visually attractive than Oklahoma City ... but I wouldn't say the same for Montgomery vs. Tulsa.
Yeah, remember that Eastern Oklahoma is lush and mountainous--looks more like the Arkansas Ozarks than Western Oklahoma.

Now the real question is: Do you prefer the Ozarks and Ouachitas or the Southern Appalachians?

Haven't been to Mobile, but have been to Biloxi, and I prefer the scenery and weather there (was there during the summer) to OKC scenery/weather. Not that OKC is bad, but Biloxi is just even better. The Gulf Coast has the best scenery and weather, IMO, out of anywhere in the U.S. I've been to.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:57 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
I have never spent any time in any of the big cities for either state, except Birmingham a few times. So with that said, I think I would prefer Alabama's trio of Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile over OKC and Tulsa. These are the only cities that would matter to me overall. But again I have very little experience

Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I have never spent any time in any of the big cities for either state, except Birmingham a few times. So with that said, I think I would prefer Alabama's trio of Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile over OKC and Tulsa. These are the only cities that would matter to me overall. But again I have very little experience
But Alabama has high risk of getting hard hit by hurricanes, especially Mobile. The risk of tornadoes there is already bad enough.

Poverty rate is lower in Oklahoma. Per capita income is somewhat higher in Oklahoma. Crime rate is somewhat lower in Oklahoma. Oklahoma City is growing much faster than Birmingham. Yet, interesting how some people value hilly forested scenery in the bigger cities of Alabama as more important to consider, along with the beaches.

Does northeast Alabama have a higher mountain than Mt. Scott in southwest Oklahoma, elevation 2,264 ft.? There are other contenders, such as the world's highest hill by Poteau, OK. It's 1,999 ft. about its base. Elevation is 2,385 ft. above sea level. Mountains don't start until 2000 ft. I've driven to the top of both mountains. I liked the Mt. Scott drive better, because the scenery wasn't blocked as much by trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mjFRZI-bw

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-22-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, but my personal preference of places especially of where to live is always going to be the more liberal option. In this situation, when it's between two conservative places, I can view as something more than their political atmosphere.
Not even the college towns of Oklahoma stand out as liberal. But they're not as conservative as rural Oklahoma. Cherokee County where Northeastern Oklahoma State University is approved of legalizing medical marijuana by a larger percentage than most other counties. By the way, Oklahoma is well ahead of Alabama when it comes to legalizing medical marijuana and has the most liberal legal medical marijuana program in the nation.

Justice reform in Oklahoma no longer puts people in prison for several years or more over possession of illegal drugs.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-22-2020 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 05:03 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
This is a tough comparison. I like Oklahoma City better than Birmingham, but Huntsville and Mobile tip the scales in Alabama's favor for me. Alabama has the better location as well.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Not even the college towns of Oklahoma stand out as liberal. But they're not as conservative as rural Oklahoma. Cherokee County where Northeastern Oklahoma State University is approved of legalizing medical marijuana by a larger percentage than most other counties. By the way, Oklahoma is well ahead of Alabama when it comes to legalizing medical marijuana and has the most liberal legal medical marijuana program in the nation.

Justice reform in Oklahoma no longer puts people in prison for several years or more over possession of illegal drugs.
That's great news! Glad to see that changing. And I think we were all shocked at OKC getting a Dem rep in 2018!

Old 03-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Then on top of that, you have Huntsville. There's simply no economy in Oklahoma that can even touch Huntsville's boom.
Just what the heck do you mean? From 2010 to 2018 Huntsville metro did not add on population at a greater rate than Oklahoma City metro. Birmingham metro didn't outgrow Tulsa metro, either. I suspect Alabama has its hills and beaches going more for it than its economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City