Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 07:08 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's hard to say but I'm gonna say Richmond because Nashville and Richmond are boom towns.

Is Seattle more like Vancouver, B.C. or Houston?
I'm not sure Vancouver is like any American metropolis — its heart is crammed with high-rise apartment towers, and the only freeway within the city limits nicks its northeast corner — but I'd say that it more closely resembles Seattle than Houston does. Especially its setting.

Is Columbus, Ohio, more like Minneapolis or Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 12:55 PM

613 posts, read 326,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm not sure Vancouver is like any American metropolis — its heart is crammed with high-rise apartment towers, and the only freeway within the city limits nicks its northeast corner — but I'd say that it more closely resembles Seattle than Houston does. Especially its setting.

Is Columbus, Ohio, more like Minneapolis or Austin?
Columbus since they are more college oriented than Minneapolis which is a pro sports town, both cities are also smack dab in the middle of a state that also has more large metros while Minneapolis is the only major population center of Minnesota

Is Lexington, KY more similar to Huntington, WV or Bowling Green, KY

Old 09-05-2020, 01:46 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Columbus since they are more college oriented than Minneapolis which is a pro sports town, both cities are also smack dab in the middle of a state that also has more large metros while Minneapolis is the only major population center of Minnesota

Is Lexington, KY more similar to Huntington, WV or Bowling Green, KY
Bowling Green based on the growth and culture. Lexington straddles Appalachia while Huntington is in it.

Is Knoxville more similar to Charleston, WV or Raleigh, NC?

Old 09-05-2020, 02:16 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bowling Green based on the growth and culture. Lexington straddles Appalachia while Huntington is in it.

Is Knoxville more similar to Charleston, WV or Raleigh, NC?
I would say the reasons you gave for Lexington being more similar to Bowling Green(which I would agree with) also applies here.

I'd say Knoxville is more similar to Charleston because both are in the heart of Appalachia.

Is Youngstown Ohio more similar to Rockford Illinois or Scranton, Pa?

Edit: thought of a better comparison.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:02 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I would say the reasons you gave for Lexington being more similar to Bowling Green(which I would agree with) also applies here.

I'd say Knoxville is more similar to Charleston because both are in the heart of Appalachia.

Is Youngstown Ohio more similar to Rockford Illinois or Scranton, Pa?

Edit: thought of a better comparison.
Tough, but I am going with Scranton. Rockford is in better economic shape than both and is less run down looking.

Is Chattanooga more similar to Asheville or Huntsville?

Old 09-06-2020, 07:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,193,527 times
I said Chattanooga. They share the whole mountains and forest aspect and closer to each other in size. Is Detroit more similar to Baltimore or Milwaukee?

Old 09-06-2020, 08:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I said Chattanooga. They share the whole mountains and forest aspect and closer to each other in size. Is Detroit more similar to Baltimore or Milwaukee?
I think Detroit is probably more similar to Baltimore. They are similar size cities and metros and probably in the same tier, where as Milwaukee is in same tier with Indianapolis and Kansas City.

Is Laredo, Texas more similar to Mexico City or Washington D. C. ?

Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Baltimore. Milwaukee hasn't quite been as beaten-up (or beaten-down) as Baltimore or Detroit.

Is Austin more like Madison, Wis., or Columbus, Ohio?

Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Baltimore. Milwaukee hasn't quite been as beaten-up (or beaten-down) as Baltimore or Detroit.

Is Austin more like Madison, Wis., or Columbus, Ohio?
Columbus. Similar size state capital cities and each with a large university.

Is Laredo, Texas more similar to Mexico City or Washington D.C.?

Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:

Vancouver truly is exceptional in that there's really no freeways in the city proper. San Francisco is the most freeway sparse major city proper in the US I can think of, and it's size, politics, density, Chinese population, and accents are pretty similar to Vancouver.

Vancouver is unique even among Canadian cities. Toronto proper loves its freeways big and wide just as much as DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City