Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2020, 01:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'll have to say New York City since at least Raleigh is a large-ish city. Now if said Mayberry I would have went with that since it's also in North Carolina.

Is Norfolk more similar to New York City or San Diego?
San Diego, due to both having very large Naval bases.

Is Charlotte more like Atlanta or Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
To me Charlotte is a combination of both but I'll give the edge to Houston because they both have larger city limits. Is Cincinnati more similar to Cleveland or Columbus?

Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
To me Charlotte is a combination of both but I'll give the edge to Houston because they both have larger city limits. Is Cincinnati more similar to Cleveland or Columbus?
Thats a tough one because all three of Ohio's "Cs" are pretty distinct from each other. I'll lean Cincinnati being more similar to Cleveland, but that's only because historically they were the bigger two. Its funny, though, because I definitely think Columbus is overall more similar to Cleveland due to the fact that more of metro Columbus' boom has been due to people from NE Ohio moving there than from SW Ohio, and Columbus' growth tilts to northern Franklin and Delaware counties so away from Cincinnati. Plus, Columbus historically has rooted more toward the Cleveland pro sports teams than they do the Cincinnati teams. And Cleveland is way more rabid for Ohio State football than Cincinnati is (sports is a big deal in Ohio).

But that is a great one to toss out because it could go either way.

On a similar one that I go back and forth on... is Kansas City more similar to St. Louis or Columbus?

Old 09-22-2020, 03:07 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Columbus. Both have higher crime rates and more blight in their cores than many people assume, but neither are on the level of St. Louis. They're also more sprawled out and have fewer truly inner-ring suburbs, of course.

Is Milwaukee more similar to Seattle or Denver?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:15 PM

I'd say Seattle they both sit adjacent to large bodies of water. Is Erie PA more similar to Buffalo NY or Cleveland?

Old 09-23-2020, 03:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
St Louis due to BBQ and musical history.

Is Omaha more like Jacksonville or Providence
Haven't been to any of these cities, but I'll guess Providence. Aside from maybe both Omaha and JAX being more conservative than Providence, culturally I'd think Omaha has more in common with another Northern city than a Deep South city.

Does OKC have more in common with ABQ or Memphis?

Old 09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Haven't been to any of these cities, but I'll guess Providence. Aside from maybe both Omaha and JAX being more conservative than Providence, culturally I'd think Omaha has more in common with another Northern city than a Deep South city.

Does OKC have more in common with ABQ or Memphis?
I'd say Albuquerque since OKC has that western flavor. Is Salina KS more similar to Grand Isle NB or Ponca City OK?

Old 09-24-2020, 05:25 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
I'd say Albuquerque since OKC has that western flavor. Is Salina KS more similar to Grand Isle NB or Ponca City OK?
Grand Island; Kansas doesn't have the whiff of Southernness about it that Oklahoma does.

But did anyone note that MrJester somehow went all the way back to post #10 in this game to respond? The post below was the one on the table:

Quote:
I'd say Seattle they both sit adjacent to large bodies of water. Is Erie PA more similar to Buffalo NY or Cleveland?
Buffalo, in that it seems that the glittering prizes have passed Erie by too. (Cleveland has teams in three major sports and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum.)

Is St. Louis more like Kansas City or Memphis?

Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Grand Island; Kansas doesn't have the whiff of Southernness about it that Oklahoma does.

But did anyone note that MrJester somehow went all the way back to post #10 in this game to respond? The post below was the one on the table:

Buffalo, in that it seems that the glittering prizes have passed Erie by too. (Cleveland has teams in three major sports and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum.)

Is St. Louis more like Kansas City or Memphis?
Overall, I'll go with Memphis since they are both on the Mississippi and both (unfortunately) have a high violent crime rate. They are also both known for good barbecue, but then again so does KC.

Is San Diego more similar to Norfolk, VA or Jacksonville, FL?

Old 09-24-2020, 11:17 AM

I think Jacksonville mainly because the climate there is more similar to San Diego's. Is Branson MO more similar to Pigeon Forge TN or Cape Girardeau MO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City