Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I think Jacksonville mainly because the climate there is more similar to San Diego's. Is Branson MO more similar to Pigeon Forge TN or Cape Girardeau MO?
Piegon Forge by far. Both are full of tacky tourist attractions full of C-list entertainment that causes backups on the way to more scenic locations along mountainous areas. Think Las Vegas but PG rated with a lot more "bad rock with a fiddle"-type entertainment. I did enjoy the American Bandstand theater in Branson, especially for some of the memorabilia in the lobby, but its just not the same seeing the real thing, even if the performers were decent. Cape Girardeau is also located in a flatter area on a major river.

Is Dundalk, MD more similar to Freeport, NY or Mt. Pleasant, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 12:11 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Piegon Forge by far. Both are full of tacky tourist attractions full of C-list entertainment that causes backups on the way to more scenic locations along mountainous areas. Think Las Vegas but PG rated with a lot more "bad rock with a fiddle"-type entertainment. I did enjoy the American Bandstand theater in Branson, especially for some of the memorabilia in the lobby, but its just not the same seeing the real thing, even if the performers were decent. Cape Girardeau is also located in a flatter area on a major river.

Is Dundalk, MD more similar to Freeport, NY or Mt. Pleasant, SC?
Freeport. Both are near larger, more urban areas. Is Wilmington NC more similar to Fayetteville NC or Rocky Mount NC?

Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Freeport. Both are near larger, more urban areas. Is Wilmington NC more similar to Fayetteville NC or Rocky Mount NC?
Fayetteville. Closer in culture and things to do.

Is Cheyenne, WY more similar to Boise, ID or Fargo, ND?

Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM

I'd say Boise since they're both Mountain West cities. Is Sacramento more similar to Oakland or San Francisco?

Old 09-24-2020, 04:58 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
Quote:
I'd say Boise since they're both Mountain West cities. Is Sacramento more similar to Oakland or San Francisco?
Damn. Its hard to say. I feel like there are a lot of AAs that moved to Sac are from The Town (Oakand) but the sports fanbase have a very heavy SF influence, way more so than Oakland's. I'm going to pick Oakland because sac and oak both feel like medium sized cities. (And they are)

Is Duluth MN is more similar to Minneapolis or Denver?

Old 09-24-2020, 05:47 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Minneapolis, it has more of an industrial history, (obviously) a more similar climate and topography, and doesn't have as much of Denver's "bro" culture.

Is Springfield, MA more similar to Buffalo or Rochester?

Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Minneapolis, it has more of an industrial history, (obviously) a more similar climate and topography, and doesn't have as much of Denver's "bro" culture.

Is Springfield, MA more similar to Buffalo or Rochester?
I'm going with Rochester. Seems like they're both similar economically. Is Houston more similar to New Orleans or Phoenix?

Old 09-25-2020, 05:29 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
I'm going with Rochester. Seems like they're both similar economically. Is Houston more similar to New Orleans or Phoenix?
New Orleans as its in the same Gulf region and Houston has many N.O. transplants, and both are important in the O&G industries. Phoenix is more similar in overall layout to Houston, but it has a dry climate, sprawls even more with an even less impressive downtown, and has an economy that isn't nearly as dynamic. If you chose Dallas or San Antonio however, I would have sided with Phoenix.

Is Baltimore more similar to Nashville or San Francisco?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:40 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
New Orleans as its in the same Gulf region and Houston has many N.O. transplants, and both are important in the O&G industries. Phoenix is more similar in overall layout to Houston, but it has a dry climate, sprawls even more with an even less impressive downtown, and has an economy that isn't nearly as dynamic. If you chose Dallas or San Antonio however, I would have sided with Phoenix.

Is Baltimore more similar to Nashville or San Francisco?
San Francisco. Bodies of water play a prominent role in each (San Francisco and Chesapeake bays — the Patapsco River is basically an arm of the Chesapeake at Baltimore), and both are major port cities, though San Francisco's port activities have migrated to the opposite shore of the bay in Oakland. Both have industrial and port heritages that Nashville also lacks (it was more of a market town than a manufacturing center).

Thankfully, however, Baltimoreans aren't as stuck-up as San Franciscans. The residents of "Charm City" harbor no illusions about their city.

Is Philadelphia more like Baltimore or New York?

Old 09-25-2020, 12:19 PM

I'd say NY. Both in the northeast and similar culture. Is Tampa more similar to Mobile or Corpus Christi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City