Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 07:34 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree and I believe in Vermont, the Northeast Kingdom is actually more conservative as well: https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...nt?oid=3827235

So, I think this all of rural New England is "liberal" talk needs to be put to rest.
Yeah, in all honesty it really only refers to Western MA and the bottom 2/3 of Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yeah, in all honesty it really only refers to Western MA and the bottom 2/3 of Vermont.
While not a bunch of hippies, if Maine or NH were carved out of Central PA or Upstate NY, they’d be heavily Republican rather than D+9 states in 2020

Knox County Maine is a county 1.5 from Portland without a university than voted for Biden by 20 points. You can’t find a 50/50 county in rural PA

Caledonia County VT in the NE kingdom went for Biden by 15 points. That’s 7 points to the left if the county with Harrisburg in it.

Like yes Republican exist in New England but it’s not remotely debatable that rural New England is far far more liberal than rural PA

Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I said Maine and New Hampshire because the whole of them is politically moderate. Pick any MSA

Boston and especially Boston CSA is southeast of New England. I mean Boston itself isn’t all the way south but it’s definitely it let the southeastern portion of New England. The CSA ones as far southeast as is possible.

Have you heard of Governor Paul LePage and some of the things he had to say about Balck people from New York?.. I think we’re severely underestimating how conservative the republicans in Northern NE really are.
Doesn't that last sentence of yours contradict the first one? Though to be fair to Pine Tree Staters, LePage never got a majority of the popular vote there and was deeply unpopular.

MSAs are MSAs, states are states, and the two are different animals (the former, remember, cross state lines). So Portland/Portsmouth/Rochester/Manchester taken together (actually, I'm not sure Rochester is its own µSA).

Old 08-23-2022, 07:44 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
And even that- the area surrounding Springfield is all red

Old 08-23-2022, 07:49 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
And even that- the area surrounding Springfield is all red
I'm thinking outside of the Northampton/Amherst areas, right?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Doesn't that last sentence of yours contradict the first one? Though to be fair to Pine Tree Staters, LePage never got a majority of the popular vote there and was deeply unpopular.

MSAs are MSAs, states are states, and the two are different animals (the former, remember, cross state lines). So Portland/Portsmouth/Rochester/Manchester taken together (actually, I'm not sure Rochester is its own µSA).
i don’t think it does. The moderate climate is because there are many democrats democrats and republicans. The republicans there are are in fact “real” republicans who are conservative. Many of the democrats and independents in New Hampshire are either Libertarians or moderate. I think the idea that all the republicans in NE are more sane or centrist at least than PA or NY warrants more inspection.

And when I was saying Northern NE I really should’ve said Northern Maine and Northern VT/NH. Or at least referred to the conservative bent of the republicans there.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking outside of the Northampton/Amherst areas, right?
The part of MA touching CT and retouching RI is Republican. And then there’s a lot of moderate dems there too. Once you north of like Holyoke and into the area you mentioned it’s deeply blue. Even Chicopee can go red: look at gubernatorial election maps. And other local races. But even in 2016 most towns around Springfield went for Trump.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:16 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
The part of MA touching CT and retouching RI is Republican. And then there’s a lot of moderate dems there too. Once you north of like Holyoke and into the area you mentioned it’s deeply blue. Even Chicopee can go red: look at gubernatorial election maps. And other local races. But even in 2016 most towns around Springfield went for Trump.
In 2020 the reddest town in Massachusetts was 58.8-37.7%. There were 50 counties in PA redder than that. Including Blair County which is home to Altoona which would be Berkshire counties largest city, voted 71.2-27.7% for Trump, with about 62,000 total votes.

The reddest town that cast over 1000 in Massachusetts votes was 56-42.

They only look similar because who wins in a Binary but the makeup is very different.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In 2020 the reddest town in Massachusetts was 58.8-37.7%. There were 50 counties in PA redder than that. Including Blair County which is home to Altoona which would be Berkshire counties largest city, voted 71.2-27.7% for Trump, with about 62,000 total votes.

The reddest town that cast over 1000 in Massachusetts votes was 56-42.

They only look similar because who wins in a Binary but the makeup is very different.
I’m aware I said your thread MA and VT were the only blues. But MA is not all of New England. The fact remains there are many red towns in MA. Less in 2020 than in 2016, and by slightly smaller margins. Clinton got 60.8% of the vote in 2016. Joe Biden got 65.6% of the vote in 2020.

4 years of trump was enough to push MA to more blue results. If you compare 2016 and 2020 you’ll see. Add to this, most elections are not that polarizing.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
While not a bunch of hippies, if Maine or NH were carved out of Central PA or Upstate NY, they’d be heavily Republican rather than D+9 states in 2020
2020 is but one election.

You're forgetting that in 2016, ME and NH only pretty narrowly voted Democratic, with all of rural/non-coastal Maine and a large majority of rural NH voting Republican by not insignificant margins:

Maine: https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...esident/maine/

New Hampshire: https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...new-hampshire/

For me, the propensity to vote for Trump in any election is pretty good proxy for non-liberal voting habits and sensibilities of an area in question. And we're talking about rural areas that are true-blue liberal here, not right-leaning swing voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City