Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose 2 answers (one for "live" and one from "visit")
Massachusetts to live 101 65.58%
Missouri to live 50 32.47%
Massachusetts to visit 116 75.32%
Missouri to visit 26 16.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 10:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 867,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That’s funny – I believe people who voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are either mentally disturbed or just plain ignorant. So, it goes both ways.

Missouri is more progressive than Massachusetts in the sense that almost everything there is newer and more modern. Along with neighboring Rhode Island, Massachusetts is one of the most threadbare states in the entire nation. Most commercial and residential structures in Massachusetts are old and tired-looking, and many roads are in utter disrepair, including the state’s longest interstate freeway, Interstate 90, which, ironically, is a tolled road. Driving on U.S. Route 44 from Plymouth to Seekonk is also a damn shame. Surprisingly, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket are overwhelmed by migrant workers from Central and South America for most of the year. In terms of the opioid epidemic, rural end exurban areas in Massachusetts are among the hardest-hit areas in the entire country. Massachusetts is a truly tale of Boston and seven or eight “Providences.” I don’t know what you’re smoking or what planet you’re from, but there are very few people I know who would describe Fall River, New Bedford, Springfield or Worcester as “progressive.” Yikes.
Mass is progressive and innovative...we get it by now. You prefer places that have brand new house plots with zero character

first state to pass marriage equality
First state to make moves towards creating universal healthcare, Massachusetts
In Northampton added gender identity to its discrimination policy years ago
Innovative -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ive-u-s-states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 10:51 AM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
That’s funny – I believe people who voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are either mentally disturbed or just plain ignorant. So, it goes both ways.

Missouri is more progressive than Massachusetts in the sense that almost everything there is newer and more modern. Along with neighboring Rhode Island, Massachusetts is one of the most threadbare states in the entire nation. Most commercial and residential structures in Massachusetts are old and tired-looking, and many roads are in utter disrepair, including the state’s longest interstate freeway, Interstate 90, which, ironically, is a tolled road. Driving on U.S. Route 44 from Plymouth to Seekonk is also a damn shame. Surprisingly, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket are overwhelmed by migrant workers from Central and South America for most of the year. In terms of the opioid epidemic, rural end exurban areas in Massachusetts are among the hardest-hit areas in the entire country. Massachusetts is a truly tale of Boston and seven or eight “Providences.” I don’t know what you’re smoking or what planet you’re from, but there are very few people I know who would describe Fall River, New Bedford, Springfield or Worcester as “progressive.” Yikes.
Really? Massachusetts consistently ranks in the top 5 states nationally for innovation (venture capital allocation), and growth in 21st century jobs that pay very high wages. Yes, it certainly does have a stronger in-migration pull than Missouri does simply because it does in fact have more prestigious colleges and universities that attract and retain younger talent. Sorry, but younger talent is not going to stay in St. Louis or Kansas City for the most part. They will move to dynamic faster growing metro areas that have better economies. And your argument that there are a number of troubled cities in Massachusetts doesn't hold water when more than 3/4 of Missouri has far lower incomes and educational attainment than anything in Massachusetts. The possibilities that some of those troubled Massachusetts cities to eventually gentrify is much greater given the trends of the past several decades, and the fact that the two largest cities in Missouri, St. Louis and Kansas City saw a much smaller level of gentrification.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-30-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 11:09 AM

3,186 posts, read 2,235,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, Missouri has certainly changed by dramatically stagnating and becoming more politically like Kansas, and trying a Kansas failed level of Republican overreach that was defeated several years ago when Brownback was voted out as the Governor.
Missouri actually surpassed Kansas with its margin for Trump in 2020 which goes against most past elections. The education gap and larger rural population in Missouri appear to be the key reasons for this. Massachusetts is a little less blue than its neighbor Vermont, but objectively it is left leaning by American standards.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:13 AM

16,148 posts, read 10,830,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
My point of making this thread wasn't to bash anyone's state, but to learn more. I'm from Mass originally and I've been to MO once and I have a friend who lives in the Springfield, MO area.
There is good reason why OP can't find much comparing the two states. They have very little in common. Missouri is a basket case caught in a death spiral. I lived there for 65 years (35 in rural Missouri) and most people who live there are numb to the inadequacies and have embraced low expectations. When you move away, as I did, you realize what a backward and indolent place it is. The major cities have some redeeming qualities and rank with the best in the country but that is the only bright spot. They are moving forward in spite of the dead weight of the rest of the state. I spent decades in state and local government and the state has been in decline since the mid-1980s. The urban-rural divide seems to have a death grip on state government. The state produced John A*hcroft, Todd Akin, and Josh Hawley, among other great Republicans. Claire McCaskill was the most recent apex of the state Democrats. There are almost weekly stories coming out of the state that make it the laughing stock of the nation. The legislators voted recently to ban masks in the chamber and promptly had to suspend business because of multiple Covid infections. Duh. The state ranks last in Covid vaccinations and ranks 46th in distribution of the vaccine supply on hand. The Bible Belt is like a stake through the heart. I don't see any hint that it will be turning around. I often state, partly in jest, that the state is no longer capable of self government. It has lost whatever vitality and significance that it once had.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:14 AM

21,782 posts, read 12,929,132 times
Quote:
Really? Massachusetts consistently ranks in the top 5 states nationally for innovation (venture capital allocation), and growth in 21st century jobs that pay very high wages. Yes, it certainly does have a stronger in-migration pull than Missouri does simply because it does in fact have more prestigious colleges and universities that attract and retain younger talent. Sorry, but younger talent is not going to stay in St. Louis or Kansas City for the most part. They will move to dynamic faster growing metro areas that have better economies. And your argument that there are a number of troubled cities in Massachusetts doesn't hold water when more than 3/4 of Missouri has far lower incomes and educational attainment than anything in Massachusetts.
still, nothing he said was really incorrect or even disingenuous IMO. MA has some large glaring flaws that are immediately visible when you actually drive around the state. Most of it is indeed very threadbare and worn-no doubt about it. Most, not all.

If you think all of that prosperity gets around like that...well I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

MA has many troubled cities. Some of which are very troubled. It's also a top 5 domestic population loser with well over 100% of its growth being attributed to international migration.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:18 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,625,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Missouri actually surpassed Kansas with its margin for Trump in 2020 which goes against most past elections. The education gap and larger rural population in Missouri appear to be the key reasons for this. Massachusetts is a little less blue than its neighbor Vermont, but objectively it is left leaning by American standards.
If Brownback/Kobach shifted to the left on economics a bit (while maintaining the hardcore social conservatism), Kansas would be a full blown red state still.

That Tea Party stuff has fell out of favor with the GOP base in favor of National Populism

Old 01-30-2021, 12:00 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,731,860 times
Quote:
Really? Massachusetts consistently ranks in the top 5 states nationally for innovation (venture capital allocation), and growth in 21st century jobs that pay very high wages. Yes, it certainly does have a stronger in-migration pull than Missouri does simply because it does in fact have more prestigious colleges and universities that attract and retain younger talent. Sorry, but younger talent is not going to stay in St. Louis or Kansas City for the most part. They will move to dynamic faster growing metro areas that have better economies. And your argument that there are a number of troubled cities in Massachusetts doesn't hold water when more than 3/4 of Missouri has far lower incomes and educational attainment than anything in Massachusetts.
Most Massachusetts residents are elderly or middle-aged "empty-nesters" with children and grandchildren who currently reside in larger, more dynamic Sun Belt states. If not, they are low-income, unskilled immigrants from Brazil, Cape Verde, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. or the children thereof. In my experience of living in New England for 20 years, I observed many Massachusetts natives relocate to other states after college and never return. This phenomenon has been particularly acute over the past 20 years. It doesn't matter if you're in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, etc., you are bound to meet someone from Massachusetts. Last year, on a trip to Austin, Texas, I met three people who recently relocated to that city from Massachusetts. Interestingly, Massachusetts and Missouri have relatively similar state populations (Massachusetts: ~6.9 million; Missouri: ~6.2 million). However, after living all over the Sun Belt for the past 20 years, I've only met a handful of people from Missouri (and I'm Protestant, like most people from Missouri). Therefore, my anecdotal experiences prove that Missouri is the healthier, "stickier" state.

And for the record, there is nothing progressive about Cape Verdean, Italian or Portuguese men from Massachusetts who refuse to cook or clean (and don't know how to). LMAO, Massachusetts is not California or Oregon, where straight, married men routinely assist their wives with housework and child-rearing activities. Surely, you jest.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:05 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,625,240 times
Quote:
Most Massachusetts residents are elderly or middle-aged "empty-nesters" with children and grandchildren who currently reside in larger, more dynamic states of the Sun Belt. If not, they are low-income, unskilled immigrants from Brazil, Cape Verde, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. or the children thereof. In my experience of living in New England for 20 years, I observed many Massachusetts natives relocate to other states after college and never return. This phenomenon has been particularly acute over the past 20 years. It doesn't matter if you're in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, etc., you are bound to meet someone from Massachusetts. Interestingly, Massachusetts and Missouri have relatively similar state populations (Massachusetts: ~6.9 million; Missouri: ~6.2 million). However, after living all over the Sun Belt for the past 20 years, I've only met a handful of people from Missouri. Therefore, my anecdotal experiences prove that Missouri is healthier, "stickier" state.

And for the record, there is nothing progressive about Cape Verdean, Italian or Portuguese men from Massachusetts who refuse to cook or clean (and don't know how to). LMAO, Massachusetts is not California or Oregon, where straight, married men routinely assist their wives with housework and child-rearing activities. Surely, you jest.
California is 40% Hispanic though, so whatever you're saying about Massachusetts would apply there also.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:08 PM

21,782 posts, read 12,929,132 times
Quote:
Most Massachusetts residents are elderly or middle-aged "empty-nesters" with children and grandchildren who currently reside in larger, more dynamic states in the Sun Belt. If not, they are low-income, unskilled immigrants from Brazil, Cape Verde, the Dominican Republic, etc. or the children thereof. In my experience of living in New England for 20 years, many Massachusetts natives relocate to other states after college and never return. This phenomenon has been particularly acute over the past 20 years. It doesn't matter if you're in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, etc., you are bound to meet someone from Massachusetts. Interestingly, Massachusetts and Missouri have relatively similar state populations (Massachusetts: ~6.9 million; Missouri: ~6.2 million). However, after living all over the Sun Belt for the past 20 years, I've only met a handful of people from Missouri. Therefore, my anecdotal experiences prove that Missouri is healthier, "stickier" state.

Yea I mean..again. You're not wrong at all in your description of Massachusetts but I think you're overlooking some of the very cohesive communities political communities within Massachusetts' urban areas that are educated, urban, and progressive. These folks exist in Worcester, Lowell, Springfield, Lynn and are filled with non-profit workers, artists, nurses, community activists etc. There's also polish to Boston itself as well as Cambridge and Somerville. Overall the urban areas of Massachusetts are nearly uniformly diverse, progressive and fully occupied. So any services dedicated to personal, professional and educational advancement in most MA cities-things meant to target the underprivileged, its a large part of why they move here and not Missouri.

Also, MA is wildly healthy minus the opioids and binge drinking. Big minuses-but at least its not meth or PCP.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,731,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
California is 40% Hispanic though, so whatever you're saying about Massachusetts would apply there also.
For the sake of comparison, I was referring to white men in California and Oregon, since we are discussing the topic of progressivism. That said, I agree with you -- Mexican and other Hispanic men in California have the same mindset as Cape Verdean, Dominican, Italian and Portuguese men in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City