Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta v. Boston
Atlanta 62 37.58%
Boston 103 62.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:07 AM

14,038 posts, read 15,064,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta’s summers are not “sweltering.”

Atlanta is not New Orleans, Houston, or Orlando.

Atlanta’s subtropical latitude is also moderated by its elevation—sitting at about 1,100 feet above see level on the Piedmont Plateau and in the Appalachian Foothills.
At the same time Boston isn’t really that cold. The coldest month has an average high of like 36F.

If you don’t do outdoor activities much you can easily get thru a Boston winter with only a sweatshirt and a rain jacket

Yet people act like it’s Siberia 4 months a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 10:27 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,085 times
Atlanta is about 11.5 degrees warmer than Boston throughout the year. Winter is like 12-15 degrees warmer and Summer 8-10 warmer. Spring is not the most different objectively but it feels the most different since early spring is usually in the 60s and by now we are getting weather in the 70s and 80s so it's the difference between hoodie/jacket weather in boston vs tee shirt weather down here. Whereas most winter days here are still long sleeves at least

Atlanta's heat is not too bad. for another thread I tracked hot/humid days for different cities where the heat index goes above 38 degrees C or 100F . Atlanta is cooler than most of the other cities in the south by that metric.

Spoiler

The vertical axis is the heat index temperature in celsius. each line represents a day where the heat index hit that number. Heat indexes below 38c are ignored for the charts.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:27 AM

848 posts, read 463,142 times
COL: Atlanta
QOL: Subjective
Culture: Boston
Economy: Boston
Character and Charm: Boston
Transit: Boston
Transportation (roads, etc): Atlanta
Urban life and vibrancy: Boston
Suburbs: I prefer Atlanta’s suburbs to Boston’s but a lot of people on this forum like Boston’s more.
Walkable suburban towns: Boston
Downtowns: Boston
Higher Education: Boston
Schools (K - 12): Boston
Climate: Atlanta
History: Boston
Geography (proximity to other areas): Boston
Topography (the prettier area): Boston barely. Both are in very pretty locations with lots of nearby scenery imo
Outdoors/Parks/Rec: I honestly prefer Atlanta in this area but Boston does well too.
Taxes: Atlanta
Potential in the 2020s: Atlanta

Overall I prefer Atlanta since I actually like sunbelt cities. Atlanta has good weather, a good economy, lower taxes, and it also has great scenery nearby. I wouldn’t mind living there again. Boston is very nice too but the significantly more expensive COL and the winters would drive me away. Atlanta also seems more diverse across the metro area whereas Boston itself is diverse but I felt it’s suburbs aren’t as diverse as Atlanta’s

Old 04-27-2024, 12:02 PM

919 posts, read 567,529 times
It may shock some folks to learn that most people who are not in poverty or income-millionaires are subject to higher income tax rates in GA than in MA. And a lot higher sales tax (MA has no municipal-level sales taxes except on hotels/prepared food).

Old 04-27-2024, 03:20 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Atlanta’s summers are not “sweltering.”

Atlanta is not New Orleans, Houston, or Orlando.

Atlanta’s subtropical latitude is also moderated by its elevation—sitting at about 1,100 feet above see level on the Piedmont Plateau and in the Appalachian Foothills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
At the same time Boston isn’t really that cold. The coldest month has an average high of like 36F.

If you don’t do outdoor activities much you can easily get thru a Boston winter with only a sweatshirt and a rain jacket

Yet people act like it’s Siberia 4 months a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Atlanta is about 11.5 degrees warmer than Boston throughout the year. Winter is like 12-15 degrees warmer and Summer 8-10 warmer. Spring is not the most different objectively but it feels the most different since early spring is usually in the 60s and by now we are getting weather in the 70s and 80s so it's the difference between hoodie/jacket weather in boston vs tee shirt weather down here. Whereas most winter days here are still long sleeves at least

Atlanta's heat is not too bad. for another thread I tracked hot/humid days for different cities where the heat index goes above 38 degrees C or 100F . Atlanta is cooler than most of the other cities in the south by that metric.

The vertical axis is the heat index temperature in celsius. each line represents a day where the heat index hit that number. Heat indexes below 38c are ignored for the charts.
Moreover, take a look at this analysis here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbr...h=2dbf213e37a8

You will see that, outside of the Mediterranean climate and a few of the Semi-Arid climates of the West Coast and Southwest, there is a swath of ideal climate/weather in the United States that includes North Georgia (at its high elevation), small parts of South Carolina, large parts of North Carolina, and small parts of Virginia.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Racial diversity isn’t the end-all/be-all. Of Atlanta’s white people, how many are WASPs? Of its black population, how many are AA? Of its Hispanic population, how many are Mexican?

It doesn’t take “granular minutia” to see that Boston wins for diversity if you go just one level of specificity down.
Do you know about the large, consistent influx of white people from other regions of the country into Metro Atlanta from about 1960 to 2010?

Did you know that Atlanta is also a magnet for Black immigrants from around the world?

Do you know about the specifically-heavy Midwestern (mostly Catholic) influx into Metro Atlanta from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s?

Did you know that the "New York Influx" into Atlanta of the 1990s and 2000s contained both whites and Blacks - with a lot of the Blacks being of Caribbean descent?

One example:
I mostly grew up in an Atlanta suburb in the 1980s and early/mid 1990s. Of my white peers - just at my grade-level, just in my subdivision of 171 homes, and just the ones that were actually my friends:

Three were born in Ohio (Cincinnati, Greater Cleveland, Lorain), moved to Atlanta as toddlers, and all were Catholic.

One was from Chicago (River Forest), moved to Atlanta in Grade 3 - and was also Catholic.

One was from Chicago (Naperville), moved to Atlanta as toddler - and was half-Lebanese.

This is just a snapshot. I could go on and on...

Old 04-27-2024, 04:02 PM

6,819 posts, read 6,070,207 times
Quote:
This is just a snapshot. I could go on and on...[/indent]
Nice anecdotes, but I need numbers.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Nice anecdotes, but I need numbers.
Go for it...

Old 04-27-2024, 04:15 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Atlanta would probably feel sweltering compared to Boston during the summer but I can't do New England winters and shoveling snow off my driveway. So I go with Atlanta.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:30 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Atlanta would probably feel sweltering compared to Boston during the summer but I can't do New England winters and shoveling snow off my driveway. So I go with Atlanta.
In terms of extreme heat days (heat index over 38C) it's not really that different. Boston gets them here and there too

If you look at days over 35c/95f instead of 38/100f, Atlanta does have quite a few more of those.

Depends on what your comfort level is. To me the heat isn't particularly oppressive until around a heat index of 100 but some people will be uncomfortable at 90. Atlanta's summer is pretty much going to hit a heat index of 90 every single day unlike Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City