Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta v. Boston
Atlanta 62 37.80%
Boston 102 62.20%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:18 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,066,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Go for it...
Using these 3 tables:
https://data.census.gov/table/ACSDT1...9271&moe=false
https://data.census.gov/table/ACSDT5...9271&moe=false

Take into account here that the Atlanta urban area has more people than the Boston one (5,180,000 vs 4,328,000). I'll only list ones where the difference is greater than 2,000 and I'm going to leave out vague categories like "American".

Groups with larger communities in Boston (37):
Albanian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Lebanese, Moroccan, Syrian, Armenian, Austrian, Brazilian, Bulgarian, Canadian, Finnish, French, French Canadian, Greek, Irish, Italian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Cape Verdean, Kenyan, Ugandan, Swedish, Turkish, Ukranian, Haitian, Chinese, Taiwanese, Cambodian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Salvadoran, Colombian, Ecuadorian

Groups with larger communities in Atlanta (31):
British, Dutch, English, German, Guyanese, Iranian, Scotch-Irish, Scottish, Ethiopian, Ghanaian*, Liberian, Nigerian, Welsh, Bahamian, British West Indian, Jamaican, Korean, Burmese, Filipino, Laotian, Vietnamese, Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Mexican, Cuban, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Panamanian, Uruguayan, Venezuelan

Honestly, it's closer than I thought it would be, but Boston does have more groups than Atlanta. And while it has some overlap between French/French Canadian/Canadian, I'd argue Atlanta is worse between British/English/Welsh/Scottish/Scotts-Irish.

*Boston closes the Ghanaian gap if you factor in Worcester. Providence brings a few groups up too (e.g. Laotian). Point stands that Atlanta wins in diversity only if you factor in race and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:05 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,564,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Using these 3 tables:
https://data.census.gov/table/ACSDT5...9271&moe=false

Take into account here that the Atlanta urban area has more people than the Boston one (5,180,000 vs 4,328,000). I'll only list ones where the difference is greater than 2,000 and I'm going to leave out vague categories like "American".

Groups with larger communities in Boston (37):
Albanian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Lebanese, Moroccan, Syrian, Armenian, Austrian, Brazilian, Bulgarian, Canadian, Finnish, French, French Canadian, Greek, Irish, Italian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Cape Verdean, Kenyan, Ugandan, Swedish, Turkish, Ukranian, Haitian, Chinese, Taiwanese, Cambodian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Salvadoran, Colombian, Ecuadorian

Groups with larger communities in Atlanta (31):
British, Dutch, English, German, Guyanese, Iranian, Scotch-Irish, Scottish, Ethiopian, Ghanaian*, Liberian, Nigerian, Welsh, Bahamian, British West Indian, Jamaican, Korean, Burmese, Filipino, Laotian, Vietnamese, Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Mexican, Cuban, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Panamanian, Uruguayan, Venezuelan

Honestly, it's closer than I thought it would be, but Boston does have more groups than Atlanta. And while it has some overlap between French/French Canadian/Canadian, I'd argue Atlanta is worse between British/English/Welsh/Scottish/Scotts-Irish.

*Boston closes the Ghanaian gap if you factor in Worcester. Providence brings a few groups up too (e.g. Laotian). Point stands that Atlanta wins in diversity only if you factor in race and nothing else.
Great work here!

Which shows that Atlanta is not only way more racially diverse than Boston, it’s also comparably ethnically diverse.

Which means: Atlanta wins (like, totally wins) on diversity when compared to Boston.

(*Additionally, it’s pretty racist and prejudiced to minimize racial diversity for the sake of an argument. I know Boston extremely well – for all the various Euro groups, it is “white” first…and you know it. Come on, now…)

Quote:
Racial diversity isn’t the end-all/be-all. Of Atlanta’s white people, how many are WASPs? Of its black population, how many are AA? Of its Hispanic population, how many are Mexican?

It doesn’t take “granular minutia” to see that Boston wins for diversity if you go just one level of specificity down.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 11,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
At the same time Boston isn’t really that cold. The coldest month has an average high of like 36F.

If you don’t do outdoor activities much you can easily get thru a Boston winter with only a sweatshirt and a rain jacket

Yet people act like it’s Siberia 4 months a year.
During the spring, Boston is noticeably cooler than many other major cities in the U.S., which gives many Americans the impression that the city has a colder climate than it actually does. It is very common for Boston’s daily high temperatures to hover in the high 50s or low 60s as late as early May, whereas many other (inland) cities in nearby New York and Pennsylvania are already experiencing daily high temperatures in the low or middle 70s at the same time, with occasional spikes in the 80s. At the other end of the spectrum, ATLiens have completed most of their summer planting by April 10-15. Also, depending on the year, Atlanta’s deciduous trees reach full leaf-out 4-6 weeks before Boston’s trees.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:01 AM

Quote:
for all the various Euro groups, it is “white” first…and you know it. Come on, now…)
Yeah, no real difference between Brazilian, Armenian, and Irish people.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-28-2024 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-28-2024, 06:52 AM

14,037 posts, read 15,058,216 times
Quote:
Yeah, no real difference between Brazilian, Armenian, and Irish people.
That entire first row of Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, Iraqi, Moroccan are all “white” people according to the census. But your average progressive is pretty adamant that they’re not actually white.

Plus remember those were raw numbers. Atlanta has over 20% more people. The Boston metro area is about 33% more foreign born than Atlanta

A lot of those “white groups” like the English and Dutch or Irish are in fact just White people at this point as they immigrated in like 1868 and in Arkansas case most “white” subgroups like Scots-Irish and British mostly predate America.

Also the last two years Mass (Boston) has gotten almost 100,000 immigrants much more than Atlanta

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-28-2024 at 07:09 AM..

Old 04-28-2024, 08:29 AM

919 posts, read 566,867 times
The key to warm seasons is frequency of dew-points over 65F, esp over 70F, and overnight lows not getting below 65F. Increased humidity means lower daytime highs, but also higher overnight lows, and in a non-arid climate, it's the overnight lows that matter much more.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:36 AM

1,356 posts, read 889,941 times
Quote:
Do you know about the large, consistent influx of white people from other regions of the country into Metro Atlanta from about 1960 to 2010?

Did you know that Atlanta is also a magnet for Black immigrants from around the world?

Do you know about the specifically-heavy Midwestern (mostly Catholic) influx into Metro Atlanta from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s?

Did you know that the "New York Influx" into Atlanta of the 1990s and 2000s contained both whites and Blacks - with a lot of the Blacks being of Caribbean descent?

One example:
I mostly grew up in an Atlanta suburb in the 1980s and early/mid 1990s. Of my white peers - just at my grade-level, just in my subdivision of 171 homes, and just the ones that were actually my friends:

Three were born in Ohio (Cincinnati, Greater Cleveland, Lorain), moved to Atlanta as toddlers, and all were Catholic.

One was from Chicago (River Forest), moved to Atlanta in Grade 3 - and was also Catholic.

One was from Chicago (Naperville), moved to Atlanta as toddler - and was half-Lebanese.

This is just a snapshot. I could go on and on...
Did you know ATL's black population is 90 African American? Every city has transplants, I didn't see what makes this so unique to ATL.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That entire first row of Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, Iraqi, Moroccan are all “white” people according to the census. But your average progressive is pretty adamant that they’re not actually white.
So-so. The Lebanese people I know look pretty stereotypically “white”. Kind of in-line with Turkish/Armenian features. Egyptians and Moroccans in my experience tend to be more Arabic by appearance, but there are some pretty light-skinned Egyptian people out there.

All that is irrelevant since aries4118 has already decreed that all people defined as white in the census are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Did you know ATL's black population is 90 African American? Every city has transplants, I didn't see what makes this so unique to ATL.
To be fair, per my data earlier Atlanta does have a lot of Jamaicans, Nigerians, and Ethiopians.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 AM

1,356 posts, read 889,941 times
Quote:
So-so. The Lebanese people I know look pretty stereotypically “white”. Kind of in-line with Turkish/Armenian features. Egyptians and Moroccans in my experience tend to be more Arabic by appearance, but there are some pretty light-skinned Egyptian people out there.

All that is irrelevant since aries4118 has already decreed that all people defined as white in the census are the same.

To be fair, per my data earlier Atlanta does have a lot of Jamaicans, Nigerians, and Ethiopians.
Yeah but it's not that noticable compared to other cities with a larger percentage of non AA black people. I rarely come across a non AA when in ATL. Not saying there's anything wrong with that either.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:21 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,235,721 times
I pick Atlanta in pretty much all categories over Boston except walkable suburbs (and walkability in general).

Favorite thing about Atlanta: People
Favorite thing about Boston: North End Italian Food
Least favorite thing about Atlanta: Traffic
Least favorite thing about Boston: Too many to pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City