Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta v. Boston
Atlanta 63 37.50%
Boston 105 62.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 04:14 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,038,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Considering it's international population/diversity and Tier 1 schools.. I'd most certainly consider John's Creek noteworthy in ATL. Would I be wrong to consider it one of the top 10 "best" suburbs in ATL MSA?

It would be the equivalent of Lexington, MA.

That said, Lexington MA is a significantly nicer place than John's Creek. I think comparing those two is fairly representative of comparing the two metros in general.
Yes you are correct but I just wouldnt put it with Decatur or Alpharetta as its missing a more urban type areas that are easily found in those two cities as well s the ones I mentioned. Its just another wealthy suburb with no historic character or charm. Especially if you are using Lexington MA as a comparable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 04:33 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,384,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yes you are correct but I just wouldnt put it with Decatur or Alpharetta as its missing a more urban type areas that are easily found in those two cities as well s the ones I mentioned. Its just another wealthy suburb with no historic character or charm. Especially if you are using Lexington MA as a comparable
You can line up another dozen or so Boston suburbs that are similarly leafy and full of character/history. The Atlanta high end sprawl is much newer than the Boston suburbs. Atlanta had much more of the Anywhere USA thing going on. I’ve owned a few 100+ year old houses. There’s something to be said for more modern housing stock. Of course, Boston also has lots of working class multi family housing that dates back to the late 1800s and has no redeeming qualities.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:42 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,976,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Dunwoody for training at a large corporation in a very new glass building by a MARTA stop. I then saw the areas of Midtown by car...but no, did not explore downtown. I saw Alpharetta because there was a Saturday lunch there. Absolutely stunning. I loved Alpharetta.

I'm intrigued by it...
State Farm.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can line up another dozen or so Boston suburbs that are similarly leafy and full of character/history. The Atlanta high end sprawl is much newer than the Boston suburbs. Atlanta had much more of the Anywhere USA thing going on. I’ve owned a few 100+ year old houses. There’s something to be said for more modern housing stock. Of course, Boston also has lots of working class multi family housing that dates back to the late 1800s and has no redeeming qualities.
Have you ever been to any of the older suburbs with active Downtown's around the Metro? Roswell, Marietta, Decatur, Norcross, etc?

Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,332,102 times
COL: Atlanta
QOL: Boston
Culture: Tie - Both have unique cultures that can be appreciated
Economy: Boston. But Atlanta is catching up fast.
Character and Charm: Boston
Transit: Boston
Transportation (roads, etc): Atlanta. Mass is known for bad roads
Urban life and vibrancy: Boston
Suburbs: Boston
Walkable suburban towns: Boston
Downtowns: Boston
Higher Education: Boston
Schools (K - 12): Boston
Climate: Atlanta... Boston winters are pretty harsh. I do not like the humidity in the south. But I will give a slight edge to Atlanta.
History: Boston
Geography (proximity to other areas): Boston
Topography (the prettier area): Boston - you have the coast
Outdoors/Parks/Rec: Tie. Boston has the coast... but lots of it is cut off to the public. Atlanta has lots of natural beauty with lakes and forests.
Taxes: Atlanta. Lower COL/Taxes
Potential in the 2020s: Atlanta - Boston is going to price itself out of new growth if it can't overcome its NIMBYism.
Favorite thing about Atlanta: Diversity
Favorite thing about Boston: History and Charm
Least favorite thing about Atlanta: Sprawling development. Transit is subpar for its size.
Leaste favorite thing about Boston: Cost of living. Nearly the cost of NYC, if not more.

Winner: Boston for me. But Atlanta has pros and definitely notable.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That absolutely nothing to do with my comment. Of course Boston has much older housing and cities with historic charm. Most of them lily white blue blood types who came over on the Mayflower. Sorry but even in some Atlanta suburbs with similar Historic charm,its not my cup of tea but I get why people like it.

That said this idea Atlanta lacks Historic charming cities is ridiculous. Sure its not Boston. I dont think that even needs to be a point on this type of thread knowing the histories. Not only does Atlanta have historic charming suburbs,it has brand new planned urban centers in several suburban cities that pay homage to historic enters. Not like a Disney-esq type design but tasteful updated to fit the needs of people today,not 100 years ago.One of the benefits of growing in a city designed with what has worked in the past mixed in with the day. Not sprawl which is an outdated idea of what Atlanta has been going through for at least the last decade.

Quote:
While acknowledging that Atlanta remains “one of the most sprawling cities on Earth”—where a so-called “suburban renaissance” is afoot—National Geographic magazine nonetheless recognizes the ATL on a shortlist of global cities fighting to cure the ills of automobile-first infrastructure and development patterns.

It’s not the first time outside observers have lauded Atlanta’s modern-day development patterns—Harvard University did so in 2016—but it’s a high-profile acknowledgement of a city that’s trying, as the magazine puts it, “to walk back this fundamental error of the past.”
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/15...graphic-sprawl

Atlantas Exburbs now rank among the lowest in sprawl as the vast majority of growth is much closer. Its actually remarkable how much things have chaned in such a short time

Old 06-17-2021, 07:25 PM

6,827 posts, read 6,094,562 times
Quote:
Food Industry.
All types
of food industry. From Poultry processing ,and Food service such as Chick fil A, Duncan Donuts,Moe's Southwestern Grill,Cinnabon,Arbys.Popeyes.Honey Baked Ham,Zaxbys Waffle House etc

Fin Tech industry
Atlanta leads this with companies l: NCR,First Data, Global Payments, Equifax

Logistics and Transportation Norfolk Southern,Delta, UpS,

Automotive- Porsche NA, Mercedes Benz NA,Peugeot NA

Non Profits: Habitat, Cancer Society. Heart Association, Asthman Foundation,CARE International etc
Touché!

Fwiw, Dunkin is headquartered in Mass. For Fintech, we do have Hubspot which I believe does fairly well.

One realm that the area does fairly well in outside of tech, biotech, education, healthcare, and finance is apparel/retail/footware: headquarters in the metro area include TJX (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods), New Balance, Talbots, Wayfair, Converse, The Black Dog, Reebok, Sperry, Timberland, and Puma's NA headquarters. Vineyard Vines started in the area and L.L Bean is driving-distance, but I suppose neither of them are headquartered close enough to count.

For the food industry, the Boston Beer Company puts the city on the map; it's apparently the 4th largest brewery in the US per wiki. Harpoon is also pretty big. Besides booze, Boston has a long history of candy manufacturing. Necco may have bit the dust, but we still make Junior Mints, Sugar Babies, and Charleston Chews on behalf of Tootsie. Emack & Bolio's is fairly widespread as is Au Bon Pain. Hood is big, right?

Raytheon alone puts Boston on the map for defense contracting, though the area also has large sites for BAE and GE Aviation (though BAE isn't headquartered in the area and GE Aviation isn't specifically though GE is).

*Still have the demographic convo in the back of my mind, but that's a deeper data dive than company headquarters.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-17-2021 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Touché!

Fwiw, Dunkin is headquartered in Mass. For Fintech, we do have Hubspot which I believe does fairly well.

One realm that the area does fairly well in outside of tech, biotech, education, healthcare, and finance is apparel/retail/footware: headquarters in the metro area include TJX (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods), New Balance, Talbots, Wayfair, Converse, The Black Dog, Reebok, Sperry, Timberland, and Puma's NA headquarters. Vineyard Vines started in the area and L.L Bean is driving-distance, but I suppose neither of them are headquartered close enough to count.

For the food industry, the Boston Beer Company puts the city on the map; it's apparently the 4th largest brewery in the US per wiki. Harpoon is also pretty big. Besides booze, Boston has a long history of candy manufacturing. Necco may have bit the dust, but we still make Junior Mints, Sugar Babies, and Charleston Chews on behalf of Tootsie. Emack & Bolio's is fairly widespread as is Au Bon Pain. Hood is big, right?

Raytheon alone puts Boston on the map for defense contracting, though the area also has large sites for BAE and GE Aviation (though BAE isn't headquartered in the area and GE Aviation isn't specifically though GE is).

*Still have the demographic convo in the back of my mind, but that's a deeper data dive than company headquarters.
Quote:
Atlanta-based company buys Dunkin Donuts for $11.3 billion
Boston leads more in tech over all but Atlanta is where this industry is by far over represented. The largest Fintech companies are in Atlanta

Quote:
Six of the world’s 10 largest digital payment processing companies — NCR, Global Payments, World Pay and Fiserv — are headquartered in Atlanta, and more than 120 fintech (financial technology) providers, including Equifax and Ebates, are based or have a large presence here. Atlanta- and Georgia-based fintech companies process 70% of all global micropayments, according to the Technology Association of Georgia.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ere-s-why.html

Ok look. Both cities have a lot of the same things. Atlanta has substantial tech sector bit its hardly on Bostons level.....yet.

For every company you mentioned,most are not industry leaders nor or they apart of a hevery concentration of their industries in Boston compared to several other cities. Food processing will never be Boston no matter how many restaurants you can name.

Boston Beer Company is not was well known as Coca Cola which ranks number one in beverage companies in the world

https://www.bevindustry.com/top-100-...ies-2015-chart

Here is a list of F500 companies from Forturne

2019 Fortune 500, by city proper
1. NYC: 49 companies
2. Houston: 20 companies
3. Atlanta: 14 companies
4. Chicago: 12 companies
5. Dallas: 10 companies
6. San Francisco: 8 companies
7T. Cincinnati: 7 companies
7T. Irving, Texas: 7 companies
7T. San Jose: 7 companies
7T. St. Louis: 7 companies
11T. Minneapolis: 6 companies
11T. Pittsburgh,: 6 companies
11T. Seattle: 6 companies
14T. Boston: 5 companies
14T. Charlotte: 5 companies
14T. Milwaukee: 5 companies
14T. Richmond, Virginia: 5 companies
18T. Deerfield, Illinois: 4 companies
18T. Denver: 4 companies
18T. Detroit: 4 companies
18T. Las Vegas: 4 companies
18T. Los Angeles: 4 companies
18T. McLean, Virginia: 4 companies
18T. Norwalk, Connecticut: 4 companies
18T. Omaha: 4 companies
18T. Phoenix: 4 companies
18T. Santa Clara, California: 4 companies

2019 Fortune 1000, by MSA
1. New York City MSA: 113 companies
2. Chicago MSA: 65 companies
3. Houston MSA: 46 companies
4. Dallas MSA: 43 companies
5. San Jose MSA: 38 companies
6. San Francisco MSA: 35 companies
7. Los Angeles MSA: 33 companies
8T. Boston MSA: 30 companies
8T. Washington DC MSA: 30 companies
10. Philadelphia MSA: 27 companies
11. Atlanta MSA: 26 companies
12. Minneapolis MSA: 22 companies
13. Denver MSA: 21 companies
14. Phoenix MSA: 18 companies
15. Miami MSA: 17 companies
16. Detroit MSA: 16 companies
17T. Cleveland MSA: 15 companies
17T. Seattle MSA: 15 companies
17T. St. Louis MSA: 15 companies
20. Columbus, OH MSA: 15 companies
21. Bridgeport, CT MSA: 14 companies
22T. Charlotte MSA: 12 companies
22T. Milwaukee MSA: 12 companies
22T. Pittsburgh MSA: 12 companies
25T. Cincinnati MSA: 10 companies
25T. Richmond MSA: 10 companies

2019 Fortune 500, by MSA
1. New York City MSA: 71 companies
2. Chicago MSA: 34 companies
3. Dallas MSA: 23 companies
4. Houston MSA: 22 companies
5T. San Francisco MSA: 19 companies
5T. San Jose MSA: 19 companies
7T. Atlanta MSA: 16 companies
7T. Minneapolis MSA: 16 companies
7T. Washington DC MSA: 16 companies
10T. Boston MSA: 13 companies
10T. Los Angeles MSA: 13 companies
10T. Philadelphia MSA: 13 companies
13. Seattle MSA: 11 companies
14T. Denver MSA: 10 companies
14T. Detroit MSA: 10 companies
16T. Bridgeport, CT MSA: 9 companies
16T. St. Louis MSA: 9 companies
18. Miami MSA: 8 companies
19T. Cincinnati MSA: 7 companies
19T. Milwaukee MSA: 7 companies
19T. Pittsburgh MSA: 7 companies
19T. Richmond MSA: 7 companies
23. Phoenix MSA: 6 companies
24T. Charlotte MSA: 5 companies
24T. Cleveland MSA: 5 companies
24T. Nashville MSA: 5 companies

Old 06-17-2021, 11:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 868,317 times
Quote:
Boston leads more in tech over all but Atlanta is where this industry is by far over represented. The largest Fintech companies are in Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ere-s-why.html

Ok look. Both cities have a lot of the same things. Atlanta has substantial tech sector bit its hardly on Bostons level.....yet.

For every company you mentioned,most are not industry leaders nor or they apart of a hevery concentration of their industries in Boston compared to several other cities. Food processing will never be Boston no matter how many restaurants you can name.

Boston Beer Company is not was well known as Coca Cola which ranks number one in beverage companies in the world

https://www.bevindustry.com/top-100-...ies-2015-chart

Here is a list of F500 companies from Forturne

2019 Fortune 500, by city proper
1. NYC: 49 companies
2. Houston: 20 companies
3. Atlanta: 14 companies
4. Chicago: 12 companies
5. Dallas: 10 companies
6. San Francisco: 8 companies
7T. Cincinnati: 7 companies
7T. Irving, Texas: 7 companies
7T. San Jose: 7 companies
7T. St. Louis: 7 companies
11T. Minneapolis: 6 companies
11T. Pittsburgh,: 6 companies
11T. Seattle: 6 companies
14T. Boston: 5 companies
14T. Charlotte: 5 companies
14T. Milwaukee: 5 companies
14T. Richmond, Virginia: 5 companies
18T. Deerfield, Illinois: 4 companies
18T. Denver: 4 companies
18T. Detroit: 4 companies
18T. Las Vegas: 4 companies
18T. Los Angeles: 4 companies
18T. McLean, Virginia: 4 companies
18T. Norwalk, Connecticut: 4 companies
18T. Omaha: 4 companies
18T. Phoenix: 4 companies
18T. Santa Clara, California: 4 companies

2019 Fortune 1000, by MSA
1. New York City MSA: 113 companies
2. Chicago MSA: 65 companies
3. Houston MSA: 46 companies
4. Dallas MSA: 43 companies
5. San Jose MSA: 38 companies
6. San Francisco MSA: 35 companies
7. Los Angeles MSA: 33 companies
8T. Boston MSA: 30 companies
8T. Washington DC MSA: 30 companies
10. Philadelphia MSA: 27 companies
11. Atlanta MSA: 26 companies
12. Minneapolis MSA: 22 companies
13. Denver MSA: 21 companies
14. Phoenix MSA: 18 companies
15. Miami MSA: 17 companies
16. Detroit MSA: 16 companies
17T. Cleveland MSA: 15 companies
17T. Seattle MSA: 15 companies
17T. St. Louis MSA: 15 companies
20. Columbus, OH MSA: 15 companies
21. Bridgeport, CT MSA: 14 companies
22T. Charlotte MSA: 12 companies
22T. Milwaukee MSA: 12 companies
22T. Pittsburgh MSA: 12 companies
25T. Cincinnati MSA: 10 companies
25T. Richmond MSA: 10 companies

2019 Fortune 500, by MSA
1. New York City MSA: 71 companies
2. Chicago MSA: 34 companies
3. Dallas MSA: 23 companies
4. Houston MSA: 22 companies
5T. San Francisco MSA: 19 companies
5T. San Jose MSA: 19 companies
7T. Atlanta MSA: 16 companies
7T. Minneapolis MSA: 16 companies
7T. Washington DC MSA: 16 companies
10T. Boston MSA: 13 companies
10T. Los Angeles MSA: 13 companies
10T. Philadelphia MSA: 13 companies
13. Seattle MSA: 11 companies
14T. Denver MSA: 10 companies
14T. Detroit MSA: 10 companies
16T. Bridgeport, CT MSA: 9 companies
16T. St. Louis MSA: 9 companies
18. Miami MSA: 8 companies
19T. Cincinnati MSA: 7 companies
19T. Milwaukee MSA: 7 companies
19T. Pittsburgh MSA: 7 companies
19T. Richmond MSA: 7 companies
23. Phoenix MSA: 6 companies
24T. Charlotte MSA: 5 companies
24T. Cleveland MSA: 5 companies
24T. Nashville MSA: 5 companies
Boston has nearly doubled its biotech sector this year …insane investment and it already was a global leader..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ck-11623153601

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...outputType=amp

Last edited by Ne999; 06-17-2021 at 11:18 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Touché!

Actually, Atlanta based Inspire Brands bought Dunkin (including Baskin-Robbins) for $11.3 billion back in December. Their former execs have been integrated into the management team in Atlanta, and they're based here now. Not sure if the former Boston HQ's are still open or not though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City