Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta v. Boston
Atlanta 62 37.80%
Boston 102 62.20%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 04:37 AM

24,564 posts, read 18,309,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's 82 degrees right now, with 37% humidity. There are advantages to being over 1,000 feet above sea level.
When it’s cloudy, the temperature drop is only 3.3F per 1,000 feet. Sunny, 5.4F. It’s still pretty hot compared to what I experience in coastal New England. I’m in the banana belt of Massachusetts 60 miles south of Boston 500 yards from salt water. 90F is pretty unusual. The rose hedge is usually blooming at Thanksgiving. It’s roughly the same climate as Cape May NJ since the ocean temperature is only a couple of degrees colder. Lots of winters, it only snows a few times and melts within a few days. Boston gets more snow than here because the ocean north of Provincetown is colder but not that much more. You go 40 miles west of Boston towards Worcester and you usually have several months of sustained snow pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM

12,187 posts, read 8,057,286 times
How does living in an area like Buckhead or Midtown in a high rise compare to urban living in Boston (Seaport or say, South End)? The transit looks very underrated in the Atlanta area, and I see that those urban neighborhoods have a good amount of that. Do people enjoy living there? Is there a lot of nightlife/recreation in these new areas?

I'd love to hear more about these neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
As far as black people goes Boston would be above ATL in black diversity.

ATL just has a higher black percentage but the majority of its community is AA.
Fair Point.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:23 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,033,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
How does living in an area like Buckhead or Midtown in a high rise compare to urban living in Boston (Seaport or say, South End)? The transit looks very underrated in the Atlanta area, and I see that those urban neighborhoods have a good amount of that. Do people enjoy living there? Is there a lot of nightlife/recreation in these new areas?

One of my best friends is a doctor. He is 35 and lives in a high rise called the Plaza. Its across from the Midtown Marta Station. He has a car but rarely drives unless he is going to the hospital where he works in Suwanee which is about 25-30 miles north. The Publix grocery store is at the base of his building so he and his wife dont ever have to get in a car to transport groceries.
He often walks to Piedmont Park which is about a 15 min walk away. Restaurants of all budgets surround him.
There are many clubs and bars also in the area. All are very walkable. Most of the time if I am joining him ,Ill ask to park in his second space in his building to avoid paying for parking since i no longer live intown.

Although we are close friends,he has made close friends his age in his building . Its about 5 of them as well as some mutual friends we both know who live in that building as well.
One of them is an Italian professor. He has lived in the building for more than 5 years at least.I know he does not have a car as he works at nearby GaTech.

I know many people who live in the city.Most are not married.My doctor friend is very social like me but he soon will want to be looking for a house,still in the city but more family oriented now that his wife just got a job.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:30 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,509,299 times
COL: Atlanta of course
QOL: Boston
Culture: Boston
Economy: Boston
Character and Charm: Boston
Transit: Boston
Transportation (roads, etc): Atlanta
Urban life and vibrancy: Boston
Suburbs: Boston
Walkable suburban towns: Boston
Downtowns: Boston
Higher Education: Boston
Schools (K - 12): Boston
Climate: Boston
History: Boston
Geography (proximity to other areas): Boston
Topography (the prettier area): Atlanta
Outdoors/Parks/Rec: Boston
Taxes: Atlanta
Potential in the 2020s: Boston
Other (your choice): Hi
Favorite thing about Atlanta: Midtown
Favorite thing about Boston: Architecture, history, the T, food
Least favorite thing about Atlanta: Heat, sprawl, crime
Least favorite thing about Boston: COL

Winner: Boston by an absolute country mile

Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,033,648 times
Quote:
Fair Point.
Not a "fair point" if its not true.

Mind you this was in 2013, Boston is not growing anywhere as fast as Atlanta so I doubt thats changed other than Atlanta has widened the gap with more black immigrants

Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post

Mind you this was in 2013, Boston is not growing anywhere as fast as Atlanta so I doubt thats changed other than Atlanta has widened the gap with more black immigrants
Bostons foreign born black population is close to 35%. Cape Vedrean, Haitian and West Indian populations make up almost half of Bostons black population. The foreign born Cape Verdean population alone is more than 9% of all African Americans in the GBA

The link you show puts Atlanta at 8%. I think diversity if existing populace is higher in GBA. But obviously, shear number in ATL

Old 06-17-2021, 09:30 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
Quote:

A couple of posts back you stated that you recently spent 2 weeks here. Where did you stay? Did you not have time to check out the Intown neighborhoods?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,372 posts, read 5,532,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post

I may be blind but I dont show Boston anywhere on that graph.

But the poster was correct. If we isolate only the black population, Boston's black population is quite a bit more diverse than Atlanta's. Hell by that metric alone its more diverse than anywhere that isnt NYC and Miami.

In terms of diversity as a whole. Atlanta is more racially diverse and Boston is more ethnically diverse.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
A couple of posts back you stated that you recently spent 2 weeks here. Where did you stay? Did you not have time to check out the Intown neighborhoods?
Dunwoody for training at a large corporation in a very new glass building by a MARTA stop. I then saw the areas of Midtown by car...but no, did not explore downtown. I saw Alpharetta because there was a Saturday lunch there. Absolutely stunning. I loved Alpharetta.

I'm intrigued by it...

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 06-17-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City