Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 07:29 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Blacksburg, VA. Both are near the Blue Ridge Parkway and are known for being college towns, and both view Roanoke as the "city" that most venture to for some bigger things. Runner-up would be Charlottesville, but I ultimately view Lynchburg as a "junior grade" version of it.

P.S. In a rebuttal to the comparison above, Jessup is a poor choice for a Bowie comparison. Yes, both have MARC train stops along them, but Bowie is much larger and nicer overall, with a minor league baseball team, college, and bordered by some nicer parks. Jessup is known for prisons, warehouses (especially on the Howard County side), and some section 8 housing. A better comparison would have been somewhere in southern Fairfax or Prince William County, Virginia, such as Lorton, Woodbridge, or Dale City, being similar distance away from DC, having a transit station, and some nice shopping nearby. Woodbridge would be my choice since they once had a minor league affiliate for the Nationals before MLB/MiLB downsized.

Now back to the thread:

Little Rock, AR
At first I was going to say Jackson, MS but I'm thinking more of a smaller Memphis. They both have downtowns with a river and bridges, and also in the same region.

Wichita, KS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 10:30 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
At first I was going to say Jackson, MS but I'm thinking more of a smaller Memphis. They both have downtowns with a river and bridges, and also in the same region.

Wichita, KS
Bowling Green, KY. Both located in the south central portions of their states with similar sized public universities. Both are growing and located between two larger metro areas (Oklahoma City/Kansas City and Louisville/Nashville). Both have southern and midwestern influences, especially Wichita.

Huntsville, AL

Old 10-15-2022, 10:41 AM

426 posts, read 305,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bowling Green, KY. Both located in the south central portions of their states with similar sized public universities. Both are growing and located between two larger metro areas (Oklahoma City/Kansas City and Louisville/Nashville). Both have southern and midwestern influences, especially Wichita.

Huntsville, AL
Earlier in this forum someone mentioned Fayetteville AR, but for me more specifically it is basically a smaller version of Nashville TN. Both are growing rapidly, in stark contrast to Birmingham/Memphis, located within the I-65 Corridor, heck in fact driving I-65 going both ways the next control city would be Either Nashville or Huntsville (although I-65 Actually passes through Madison, AL).

Cairo, IL?

Old 10-19-2022, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 14,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Earlier in this forum someone mentioned Fayetteville AR, but for me more specifically it is basically a smaller version of Nashville TN. Both are growing rapidly, in stark contrast to Birmingham/Memphis, located within the I-65 Corridor, heck in fact driving I-65 going both ways the next control city would be Either Nashville or Huntsville (although I-65 Actually passes through Madison, AL).

Cairo, IL?
I would say Pine Bluff, AR. Both of these Mississippi Delta towns are on major rivers and are some of the most run-down, dangerous places in America if not the world.

Fairbanks, AK

Old 10-19-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Alaskan View Post
I would say Pine Bluff, AR. Both of these Mississippi Delta towns are on major rivers and are some of the most run-down, dangerous places in America if not the world.

Fairbanks, AK
I'm thinking Whitehorse, Yukon. Both are located in very cold climates and are located in close proximity to their respective state/province's highest peaks. They both have about the same population and history of being settled around the early 1900's.

St. George, UT

Old 10-20-2022, 03:32 PM

613 posts, read 328,528 times
Quote:
I'm thinking Whitehorse, Yukon. Both are located in very cold climates and are located in close proximity to their respective state/province's highest peaks. They both have about the same population and history of being settled around the early 1900's.

St. George, UT
Yuma, Arizona, growing city on the southwest corner of an Intermountain West state. St George in fact despite being in Utah is a 388 mile drive from downtown Los Angeles

Lookout Mountain, TN

Old 10-20-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Yuma, Arizona, growing city on the southwest corner of an Intermountain West state. St George in fact despite being in Utah is a 388 mile drive from downtown Los Angeles

Lookout Mountain, TN
Highlands, NC. Both are municipalities with a population around 2000 located on plateaus with family friendly tourist attractions.

St. Simon's Island, GA

Old 10-20-2022, 08:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 2,299,262 times
Quote:
Highlands, NC. Both are municipalities with a population around 2000 located on plateaus with family friendly tourist attractions.

St. Simon's Island, GA
St. Simon’s is a special place because it has retained a lot of it’s small town / southern charm. The most similar place I can think of is Amelia Island, FL.

Big Sur, CA

Old 10-21-2022, 11:20 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,207,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
St. Simon’s is a special place because it has retained a lot of it’s small town / southern charm. The most similar place I can think of is Amelia Island, FL.

Big Sur, CA
Since it's unincorporated maybe San Simeon or Carmel Highlands. Flagstaff AZ?

Old 10-22-2022, 12:35 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Since it's unincorporated maybe San Simeon or Carmel Highlands. Flagstaff AZ?
Surprisingly tough but I'm gonna say Moscow, ID + Pullman, WA. Two college towns for unremarkable regional state u's, which are only a few minutes apart across the state border and basically function as one micropolitan area. The area has plenty of mountains, a dry climate, and feels old and historic.

However I haven't been to Flagstaff, and I sense that the vibe is different, more "frontier/wild west" with somewhat of a hippie influence, as opposed to the more agricultural, middle-America Palouse region of ID/WA/OR. I still can't think of a clearly better comparison --- Flagstaff has a very different social attitude from Boulder, and I don't sense that it has the "boomtown" vibe of e.g. Bozeman or Bend. Durango, CO seems too small.

San Jose, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City