Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 09:56 AM

6,579 posts, read 12,086,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Surprisingly tough but I'm gonna say Moscow, ID + Pullman, WA. Two college towns for unremarkable regional state u's, which are only a few minutes apart across the state border and basically function as one micropolitan area. The area has plenty of mountains, a dry climate, and feels old and historic.

However I haven't been to Flagstaff, and I sense that the vibe is different, more "frontier/wild west" with somewhat of a hippie influence, as opposed to the more agricultural, middle-America Palouse region of ID/WA/OR. I still can't think of a clearly better comparison --- Flagstaff has a very different social attitude from Boulder, and I don't sense that it has the "boomtown" vibe of e.g. Bozeman or Bend. Durango, CO seems too small.

San Jose, CA
This is tough one between Austin (simply because of the tech companies) or Ft Worth (also because of tech companies). I'm going to go with the latter just because it's a large city within a metroplex anchored by another large city.

San Diego, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 10:40 AM

2,363 posts, read 2,321,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This is tough one between Austin (simply because of the tech companies) or Ft Worth (also because of tech companies). I'm going to go with the latter just because it's a large city within a metroplex anchored by another large city.

San Diego, CA
St. Petersburg, FL. I asked the question awhile back what city was most similar to St. Pete and San Diego kept coming up. It’s not hard to see why since both are walkable, laid back, coastal communities. The weather is different, but winters are fairly similar I think.

Nantucket, MA (excluding Martha’s Vinyard)

Old 10-28-2022, 04:31 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,401,066 times
Cincinnati , OH

Both along the river similar history, climate and architecture

Grand Rapids, MI

Old 10-30-2022, 04:45 PM

3,908 posts, read 2,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Cincinnati , OH

Both along the river similar history, climate and architecture

Grand Rapids, MI
Kalamazoo has very similar demographics. Columbus OH.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:26 AM

6,579 posts, read 12,086,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Kalamazoo has very similar demographics. Columbus OH.
KCMO. Both about the same size, similar downtowns, and are inland cities with a river snaking around their downtowns.

St Louis, MO

Old 11-02-2022, 11:16 AM

9,695 posts, read 9,438,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
KCMO. Both about the same size, similar downtowns, and are inland cities with a river snaking around their downtowns.

St Louis, MO
Baltimore, MD. Similar architectural styles, culture, crime, run down areas, and both always looked down upon in the news. Both are similar size and overshadowed by regional counterparts (D.C. and Chicago).

Bozeman, MT

Old 11-03-2022, 06:02 AM

1,810 posts, read 1,966,030 times
Jackson, WY. Like Bozeman, its a major destination for a lot of Yellowstone tourists to spend their evenings and nights. Lots of traffic between the two resort towns in season as well. Bozeman is more of a regional center with a bit more of a non-tourist economy thanks to a university and interstate access, but both are among the fastest growing communities in their respective states.

For the previous comparison, I actually feel that Kansas City is a better match for St. Louis, as both cities are bi-state metros with the primary city located in Missouri, and although Chicago dominates the region, the Windy City is less on the radar compared to what Baltimore is to D.C. KC also has some southern influences like Baltimore itself, but shares the Middle America feel with St. Louis.

Framingham, MA

Old 11-05-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Jackson, WY. Like Bozeman, its a major destination for a lot of Yellowstone tourists to spend their evenings and nights. Lots of traffic between the two resort towns in season as well. Bozeman is more of a regional center with a bit more of a non-tourist economy thanks to a university and interstate access, but both are among the fastest growing communities in their respective states.

For the previous comparison, I actually feel that Kansas City is a better match for St. Louis, as both cities are bi-state metros with the primary city located in Missouri, and although Chicago dominates the region, the Windy City is less on the radar compared to what Baltimore is to D.C. KC also has some southern influences like Baltimore itself, but shares the Middle America feel with St. Louis.

Framingham, MA
Marlborough has similar demographics even though it's smaller. Hagerstown MD.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:59 AM

899 posts, read 524,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Marlborough has similar demographics even though it's smaller. Hagerstown MD.
Beckley, WV is an Appalachian town with similar demographics.

Lufkin, TX

Old 12-14-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Beckley, WV is an Appalachian town with similar demographics.

Lufkin, TX
It's nearby city of Nacogdoches. Similar population and demographics. Lawton OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City