Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 10:33 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

NYC and Boston are ranked at 35 and 36 which seems pretty low but interpret these rankings as you want
It also has NYC ranked 48th for community and representation but Boston at 18...naw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 10:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
First of all you are wrong for multiple reasons.

1. Nigerians may own businesses there, but they largely do not live in Westwood. Westwood doesn't have a higher Nigerian residential population than virtually anywhere else in Southwest Houston. The Chinese and Indian population do not live where they own businesses, and to a lesser extent neither do the Vietnamese population.

2. Westwood is not 77036, which includes Sharpstown- Las Plaza Americas, Mahatma Ghandi District and Chinatown hence the high-ish Asian population. Sharpstown area is majority Hispanic yes, and it makes up the core of the zip, but Westwood itself does not share exact demographics.

Census Tracts are available

https://mtgis-portal.geo.census.gov/...ed2b2fd7ff6eb7

These are the census tracts that make up Westwood by percentage black-
4336.02- 45.7% Black
4335.07- 30.2% Black
4335.03- 26.5% Black
4335.06- 22.6% Black
4336.01- 21.5% Black
4335.04- 15.2% Black
4335.05- 10.1% Black

This works out to 25% Black almost on the dot, for Westwood.
With 4336.02 being more Black than Hispanic.

Again, my point is proven that while Westwood is majority Hispanic, it very much has a high African American population.
Third Ward has a large percentage of Black professionals and is really the only answer. Honestly, these two were the only zip codes in the inner loop of Houston that had a critical mass of Black educated professionals. Do you know of any other zip codes inside the loop that I may have missed?

Third Ward = Zip Code 77004

Population
Total Population: 38,721 people
Black Population: 18,099 people
Black Percentage = 46.7%
Median Income: $55,498
Total Land = 5.8 square miles

Educational Attainment
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 34%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 3,826 people

Total Male Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 29.5%
Male Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 1,687 people

Total Female Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 38.6%
Female Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 2,139 people

The only other Black zip code I could find with similar numbers was this one below:

Foster Place = Zip Code 77021

Population
Total Population: 25,769 people
Black Population: 17,268 people
Black Percentage = 67%
Median Income: $38,638
Total Land = 6.1 square miles

Educational Attainment
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 24.6%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 3,032 people

Total Male Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 17.2%
Male Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 919 people

Total Female Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 30.3%
Female Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 2,113 people

Source

Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
I posted demographic data. You posted your opinion.

" Southwest Houston's Little Lagos neighborhood, which runs east-west along Bissonnet Street, features the usual mix of Nigerian groceries and restaurants, and also Nigerian-owned insurance agencies, Realtors, attorneys and accountants."
Here's the thing though, Westwood is one of the worst neighborhood not only in Houston but the country. It has the highest murder count and violent crime rate in the city, it has rampant prostitution and human trafficking, and drugs galore. There is also no gentrification value so I doubt it will change.

Nigerians typically come to Houston with lots of money. They are very affluent. There is no way theyd stoop to living in Westwood. There are several Nigerian restaurants there I know, but if there is a little Nigeria in Houston from a residential perspective, its along Highway 6 and Westpark Tollway.

So if were talking about any type of professional, they probably wont be along Bissonett between 59 and Kirkwood.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-23-2022 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here's the thing though, Westwood is one of the worst neighborhood not only in Houston but the country. It has the highest murder count and violent crime rate in the city, it has rampant prostitution and human trafficking, and drugs galore. There is also no gentrification value so I doubt it will change.

Nigerians typically come to Houston with lots of money. They are very affluent. There is no way theyd stoop to living in Westwood. There are several Nigerian restaurants there I know, but if there is a little Nigeria in Houston from a residential perspective, its along Highway 6 and Westpark Tollway.

So if were talking about any type of professional, they probably wont be there.
Honestly, Westwood isn't even in the conversation for Black professionals. There are barely any Black professionals living in that area with a college degree. Third Ward has more Black professionals living there than all three of these zip codes combined. So does Foster Place.

Westwood Educational Attainment

Zip Code 77031 (Land Area = 3.2 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 26.8%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 735 Black people

Zip Code 77036 (Land Area = 7.2 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 20.9%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 1,233 Black people

Zip Code 77074 (Land Area = 5.4 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 27.8%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 958 Black people

Source

Old 05-23-2022, 11:27 AM

6,472 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Third Ward has a large percentage of Black professionals and is really the only answer. Honestly, these two were the only zip codes in the inner loop of Houston that had a critical mass of Black educated professionals. Do you know of any other zip codes inside the loop that I may have missed?

Third Ward = Zip Code 77004

Population
Total Population: 38,721 people
Black Population: 18,099 people
Black Percentage = 46.7%
Median Income: $55,498
Total Land = 5.8 square miles

Educational Attainment

Total Male Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 29.5%
Male Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 1,687 people

Total Female Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 38.6%
Female Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 2,139 people

The only other Black zip code I could find with similar numbers was this one below:

Foster Place = Zip Code 77021

Population
Total Population: 25,769 people
Black Population: 17,268 people
Black Percentage = 67%
Median Income: $38,638
Total Land = 6.1 square miles

Educational Attainment

Total Male Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 17.2%
Male Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 919 people

Total Female Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 30.3%
Female Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 2,113 people

Source
Riverside Terrace is what your looking for specifically. It’s just not young professionals/singles. It’s more established familes. It straddles the border of the Third Ward and South Union/OST (Foster Place). Their are a few neighborhoods around it also on the come up like University Oaks and parts of MacGregor as well as the Northern most portion and Western most strips of the 3rd Ward. With beautiful homes and upper middle class black folks. Although the latter has a lot more non-black People.

Around Westwood area, Royal Oaks which is too the north might have a decent Black middle class population, but I’m unsure.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 AM

I looked at Dallas inner loop zip codes to find out where a critical mass of Black professionals may be living. It seems to lack a Third Ward type of neighborhood, but I will continue to look. Dallas also seems to have very low density with huge zip codes in the core with barely any people living there.

Dallas Black Zip Code Educational Attainment

Zip Code 75241 (Land Area = 26.9 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 15.8%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 2,309 Black people

Zip Code 75236 (Land Area = 12.5 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 29%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 1,126 Black people

Zip Code 75216 (Land Area = 14.6 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 8.1%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 1,803 Black people

Source

Old 05-23-2022, 11:51 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Honestly, Westwood isn't even in the conversation for Black professionals. There are barely any Black professionals living in that area with a college degree. Third Ward has more Black professionals living there than all three of these zip codes combined. So does Foster Place.
I was unemployed for a time during the pandemic and I drove for Uber for 13 months. I got to know Houston VERY intimately. I can say without question that Westwood is the SINGLE most depressing place in Houston. Its a black eye on the city. The rampant street walking prostitution is something Ive literally never seen on that scale in any other city (granted I never went to the lower East Side in NYC in the 80s and 90s). One night while I was waiting for someone I counted 26 prostitutes. The epicenter is Plainfield and Bissonett. I would also imagine, based on observation that Westwood is home to a large number of undocumented immigrants, though thats a hypothesis not anything I can say with certainty.

The open display of human trafficking is really appalling.

Its not just my observations, the statistics back it up. Houston is not one of the worst cities in the US for human trafficking, it is THE worst city in the US for human trafficking. How on earth does a city half the size of LA and 1/3 the size of NYC (approximately) generate more human trafficking cases????

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/...s%20Report.pdf

With that out of the way, I will also say I came to love this city so much. I also learned that the term "ghetto" is tossed around way too much. The 3rd ward is a culturally rich and colorful area. So many really nice neighborhoods there and many professional black residents. Great restaurants and nice lounges. The only area thats iffy is by the Cuny Homes. The 3rd ward has a great sophistication to it that I respect.

The 5th ward which is also mostly black isnt a place I hang out or have a desire to, but it also is unfairly judged. Its basically Mississippi transported into the Northeast side of Houston. That said, you wont find many professionals there. You will find people on horses or keeping chickens in their back yard.

I havent looked at the statistics, but I would guess that if you wanted a neighborhood with the highest concentration of black professionals in Houston, 3rd ward. In the Houston metro as a whole, Id guess Pearland.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Riverside Terrace is what your looking for specifically. It’s just not young professionals/singles. It’s more established familes. It straddles the border of the Third Ward and South Union/OST (Foster Place). Their are a few neighborhoods around it also on the come up like University Oaks and parts of MacGregor as well as the Northern most portion and Western most strips of the 3rd Ward. With beautiful homes and upper middle class black folks. Although the latter has a lot more non-black People.

Around Westwood area, Royal Oaks which is too the north might have a decent Black middle class population, but I’m unsure.
This zip code below is in the suburbs of Dallas. Are there any zip codes like this below in Dallas proper? I'm trying to find a comparison to Third Ward.

Desoto in Dallas

Zip Code 75115 (Land Area = 21.9 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 28.7%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 7,091 Black people

Source

Old 05-23-2022, 12:06 PM

6,472 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
I think I found a zip code that we can use as a comparison for Houston and Dallas, but we will have to use multiple zip codes for Houston because the Dallas zip code is so large:

Desoto in Dallas

Zip Code 75115 (Land Area = 21.9 square miles)
Total Percentage Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 28.7%
Total Raw Number Bachelor's degree or higher (Black People) = 7,091 Black people

Source

Greater Third Ward/Foster Place in Houston

Zip Code 77004 (Land Area = 5.8 square miles)

Zip Code 77021 (Land Area = 6.1 square miles)

Source
DeSoto is a suburb. If your looking for suburban wealth that’s a much easier shortlist.

Dallas-

Arlington/Grand Prairie and Mansfield around Joe Pool Lake.
Cedar Hill
DeSoto
Lancaster
Duncanville

The last 4 communities make up the Best Southwest region. Which is probably the biggest collection of black Wealth in Texas. I like the Arlington/Grand Prairie/Mansfield area more though. Cedar Hill is considered the gem of that region. New points like Glenn Heights/Red Oak/Oak Leaf are emerging just South of that region.

Away from this area Plano has a large-ish black community that does well, as well as Garland and Irving. The City of Fort Worth is another sleeper with it pre-pandemic having a fairly low crime rate for an urban city that’s 20% black.

Houston
Pearland (Specifically around Shadow Creek)
Atascocita/Humble/Summerwood (More Atascocita than Humble)
Missouri City
Richmond (Around 77406)
Manvel is emerging.
Katy- lower black population but extremely well off in 77494 and areas around it.
This also applies to suburbs like Cypress and Spring. They aren’t very black but about the national average in many of their really nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, this is what I was looking for. Here is Riverside Terrace in Houston:

Riverside Terrace Block Group (Houston)

Total Population = 1,113 people
Black People = 935 people
Black Percentage = 84%
Median Income: $116,500
Street View

River Terrace Block Group (Houston)

Total Population = 871 people
Black People = 544 people
Black Percentage = 62%
Median Income: $97,159
Street View

Riverside Terrace Block Group (Houston)

Total Population = 1,642 people
Black People = 1,278 people
Black Percentage = 78%
Median Income: $74,125
Street View
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City