Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 07:41 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times

Advertisements

California vs New York
There's just no place in the US like NYC. Upstate is beautiful. I've got to give this to NY.

Colorado vs Hawaii - America's paradise. Kauai is amongst the most beautiful places in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:42 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
California vs New York

Going California here, for a lot of reasons. It is truly its own "thing", with a GDP of 3.4T (larger than the UK), and natural beauty that can stand up to most any Country in the World. From wine country, to white sand beaches, to cliffs over the pacific, to the mountains and lakes north.

Despite a preference for NYC, SF/LA/SD/SJ are no slouches, and I'd take that combination over NYC/Buffalo/Rochester/Albany on the aggregate.
Did you forget about Hawaii vs Colorado?

Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
California vs New York- No vote. I'd prefer outliers than the typical.

Colorado v Hawaii- Hawaii.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:52 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Why is this round going so much slower? Where are all the voters?

Old 08-05-2022, 05:37 PM

358 posts, read 620,904 times
New York

Old 08-05-2022, 07:25 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
First place: California. New York gets a lot of love, largely on the strength of its namesake city. When I was in my 20s, I absolutely loved New York (the city). I never lived there, but I visited often. But now that I'm a middle-aged family-man suburbanite, the appeal of the Big Apple has largely worn off. All I see now are the negatives: too loud, too crowded, too dangerous, too dirty, too expensive. To be sure, California's largest cities share some of these negatives, with some added ones all their own (such as aggressive crazy homeless people). But as an entire state, California just has so much to offer that, in the aggregate, it tops New York for me.

Third place: Hawaii. I used to like this state, and also Colorado, so much that I applied for jobs in both places. But with the benefit of hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get offered either of those positions. Hawaii is not only crazy expensive, it's just too isolated. I like being able to take road trips, and that just wouldn't work in Hawaii. However, the natural scenery is just so amazing (and the pothead culture infesting Colorado is so off-putting) that I still rank it the higher of these two.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:40 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
California. Everyone keeps saying there’s no place like NYC in the country. There’s no place like San Francisco and Los Angeles either. Death Valley, Catalina, Redwoods, Mt Shasta, Monterey, Yosemite, Tahoe….the geographic diversity alone places CA in first place. California also feeds and entertains us (New York entertains us too of course). California’s GDP is more than double that of New York State’s.

Colorado. I personally think it’s overrated but it is undeniably beautiful and I’d live 100 lives there before a single life in one of the most isolated places on earth.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:53 AM

282 posts, read 216,627 times
Final:

California vs New York

Third Place Match:

Colorado vs Hawaii

Old 08-06-2022, 06:57 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
My votes--

Final:

California vs New York

Gotta barely go with New York here. NYC is one of the best cities in the world, and the best in the US! Upstate NY and Long Island are under-rated. California geography is stunning, but NYC beats it overall.

Third Place Match:

Colorado vs Hawaii

Easily Hawaii, for me. Hawaii has 3 of my favorite places on earth with Oahu, Maui and Kauai.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:12 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Why is this round going so much slower? Where are all the voters?
You lost all the New Englanders when Maine got knocked out in the Round of 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City