Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 08:36 PM

980 posts, read 598,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post

Colorado vs Maine: Colorado takes this. Maine does have the scenery but so does Colorado, and Colorado is just so unique with AMAZING NATURE!!! Arguably the Top State for Nature in my opinion.
Yea, cause Maine is SO lacking in natural beauty...

https://youtu.be/_q9zS06igmg?t=95
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 08:48 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Yea, cause Maine is SO lacking in natural beauty...

https://youtu.be/_q9zS06igmg?t=95
ProudFairfielder, what honestly really turns me off about Maine is the WEATHER. It is just so cold most of the time, and I hate the winter. Even in the Summer, while the coastline is really beautiful, the water is barely warm enough to even swim in. It's a huge turn off for me. Also Maine is so far out there, and it's not close to any real big cities. Boston is the closest and that's still not that close unless you're in the far Southern part of the state.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:06 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
ProudFairfielder, what honestly really turns me off about Maine is the WEATHER. It is just so cold most of the time, and I hate the winter. Even in the Summer, while the coastline is really beautiful, the water is barely warm enough to even swim in. It's a huge turn off for me. Also Maine is so far out there, and it's not close to any real big cities. Boston is the closest and that's still not that close unless you're in the far Southern part of the state.
Colorado is warmer?

ISTR that the jet stream heads southward well to the west of the state.

But I just looked up the average temperature in January in Denver and Portland, and whaddaya know, Colorado is warmer in the winter, by about 10F.

But I hear ya on the water. However, Maine still has a lot of it and Colorado doesn't have much of it other than in the form of snow-fed rivers. And there aren't too many of those in Far Western Kansas.

But whatever floats your boat. Or laces up your hiking boots. I've long since come to accept that my winterphilia puts me in a very distinct minority of Americans (I think it would be interesting to do a poll of Minnesotans on this subject). IMO, the contrast makes one appreciate the summer all the more. (I actually saw a T-shirt once that bore the legend "Those who cannot handle winter don't deserve summer.")

Old 07-24-2022, 09:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

California vs North Carolina

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-25-2022, 05:46 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Florida vs Hawaii - I love both for visiting and they are in my top 3 for destination states, but wouldn't live in either. Florida has so much to do and my connections with friends and family there always make it fun. But Hawaii has more of a heart connection, I don't have the same romance for Florida. The landscapes of the islands are exceptional, the surf, waterfalls, but also the food, music, and culture are special. There's magic in Hawaii that just isn't felt or found in Florida on the same level. The only big drawback is the distance to the islands is so far from the Eastern US.

New York vs Virginia- New York has more to do and explore. I've seen a lot of the state and had my fill of NYC but don't really have a calling to go back again. The highlights for me are the Adirondacks and the waterfall gorges around Ithaca. I like NYS & NYC, but a it's kind of been there done that area for me. I picked Virginia as I made a brief visit through the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge mountains back the spring and I was really impressed and I left wanting to go back for more. I loved the greenery and lush vegetation in the South that was popping out in the spring, there was sometime about Virginia that stood to me, the spring bloom there is lovely. Virginia has a lot of areas I'd like to explore and uncover from the Eastern Shore and mountain areas.

California vs North Carolina - I like California more for the cities and diverse array of things do and explore, but I family connections with North Carolina and more familiarity with the state. I use to have some mixed and adverse feelings with NC, but the state grown on me a lot over the years. The Outer Banks have my favorite beaches on the East Coast. I haven't explored the mountain areas or Asheville, but I'm looking forward to seeing them someday.

Colorado vs Maine - Jeez, I just got back from Bar Harbor & Acadia NP last week. My preferred way to escape the summer heat when it's 90°+ inland is to be near a cold ocean with cool salty breezes and eat lobster rolls. This is the most difficult match up, Maine is a New England favorite and a very familiar state. But I've spent a good amount of time Colorado with memories of summiting a 14'er, hiking through golden Aspen groves in the fall, and skiing at Telluride which is the absolute best ski and mountain town I've experienced the US. I also have a good friend that lives in Denver, been out there a bunch of times. Going to have to go with Colorado on this one. I almost want to give Maine a pity vote though, it has a lot to offer.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 AM

24 posts, read 17,723 times
Florida vs *Hawaii*

New York vs *Virginia*

California vs *North Carolina*

Colorado vs *Maine*

Old 07-25-2022, 07:10 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-25-2022, 07:39 AM

96 posts, read 58,318 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-25-2022, 10:09 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
[quote=MarketStEl;63855455]Colorado is warmer?

ISTR that the jet stream heads southward well to the west of the state.

But I just looked up the average temperature in January in Denver and Portland, and whaddaya know, Colorado is warmer in the winter, by about 10F.
....<snipped>.....
IMO, the contrast makes one appreciate the summer all the more. (I actually saw a T-shirt once that bore the legend "Those who cannot handle winter don't deserve summer."/QUOTE]

Haha, I like that saying! I love both states also, but having grown up in CO, it took me a long time to get used to the humidity of the northeast. CO is much drier than Maine and I think that helps in warmer winter temps overall. When I was a kid, we rarely had to shovel our sidewalks and driveways, even with a 3 inch or better snowfall....we used a push broom instead, the snow was so powdery. Rarely did residential streets get plowed as even a heavy snowfall in Denver would usually melt within a day or two; the sun can do wonders. Mountain towns obviously keep their snowcover longer and with cooler temps, but I still think it's not nearly as frigid as Maine.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:20 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Why is this even debatable about which state is warmer Maine or Colorado? Seriously Guys?

Just check the monthly average weather for both states, and you’ll see that in general Colorado is considerably warmer throughout all 4 seasons by at least an average of 10 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City