Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 09:33 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Charlotte Crushes L.A... (in something)
Airports. Charlotte's isn't all that great, but it absolutely flat-out crushes LAX, all day, every day, in every single way except for plane spotting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 09:42 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
These are really hard.

Florida vs Hawaii- Two of my top 4 states, this is incredibly tough. I know Florida better, but I think Kauai is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. Incomparable.

New York vs Virginia- New York City is beautiful and ugly and brilliant and outrageous and everything in-between. If I needed a place to go for a long weekend, can’t go wrong with NY. But if I can’t see myself living there, I’m not going to advance it. This is where things get tough, and I could be happy in Virginia. Between the mountains, the beach, and the cities I could be happy never leaving the state.

California vs North Carolina- This is going to be similar to above, except I love both states here more. California is a collection of urban jewels against an impressive backdrop. Carmel and Yosemite are a potent one-two punch. But while I could do a trip to California, I couldn’t live there. Expense, crowds, natural disasters, it’s just not for me. At least not long term. More than anything it’s not home. I feel like Samwise the Brave, who after seeing the wonders of Elves and Men, couldn’t stop waxing on about the Shire’s orchards and strawberries. North Carolina may seem quaint, too much Mayberry in the face of Hollywood (though even Mayberry was too Hollywood, that wasn’t a NC lake Andy was taking Opie to fish at in the opening credits). But the Smith Center, Ocracoke, Blowing Rock, bbq, sweet tea, all things that make this my happy place.

Colorado vs Maine- The two states I know the least about. There is a Muir quote, “the mountains are calling and I must go” that has been quite commercialized over the years. But it speaks to a certain mindset. It’s just not my mindset. I’m more of a “sea cures all ailments” kind of guy. Maine isn’t my ideal beach state, but as the saying goes a bad day at the beach is still a day at the beach. Point to Maine.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:43 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

California vs North Carolina

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-20-2022, 09:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Florida vs Hawaii - To be fair, Hawaii does have Florida beat with recreation/nature/scenery. I just can’t get past its isolation, high taxes, and few career opportunities.

New York vs Virginia - I’ll reluctantly go with VA as I prefer Arlington to NYC.

California vs North Carolina - Easy.

Colorado vs Maine - Easy.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:47 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,523 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-21-2022, 02:10 AM

282 posts, read 216,627 times
Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

Colorado vs Maine

Old 07-21-2022, 05:21 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Round 4:

Deadline: Wednesday July 27th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Hawaii ~ Even tho Florida beats HI on practicality, Hawaii beats FL on scenery and uniqueness. But I wouldn't turn down a vacation to either state!

Virginia ~So much to love about VA, the shores, the history, the Blue Ridge, etc. NY is a beautiful state with plenty to see and do. VA is all that minus the NY-level corrupt administration.

North Carolina ~ Tough choice here. Both are beautiful, but NC gets the edge...cost of living & career opportunities are better, imo.

Colorado ~ Everyone should enjoy the awe that is my home state. Ridiculously expensive to live there now, but still worth a frequent visit for the rest of us.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:27 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 4:

Deadline: Wednesday July 27th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember, anyone can jump in and vote at anytime. New Voters are always welcome to join in and vote, even if they did not participate in Round 1, 2, or 3. We always want as many Voters and Participants as Possible!!!

Florida vs Hawaii

New York vs Virginia

Colorado vs Maine

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 4!!!! Expect some extremely tough match ups here!
Yeah, these are toughies. Sad to see Pennsylvania go, though.

Florida vs. Hawaii — Although I strongly suspect the climate in Hawaii is better in the summer than Florida's steambath (Miami has been the only city I've spent time in to date where the weather forecasts give you not the percent probability of precipitation but the percent coverage, though come to think of it, the probability of precipitation in New Orleans around noon on summer days is also 100), Key West is also an island and probably has the same saving sea breezes. And I'd rather hang out in Key West than Honolulu. However, I really must visit Hawaii before I die.

New York vs. Virginia — So you put two scenic heavyweights up against each other. Not fair! New York's beaches are better, but so are Virginia's mountains, and Virginia has Thomas Jefferson and New York State doesn't (though it does have the Roosevelts, neither one of them was an architect too). Virginia has the natural bridge that so awed Jefferson, New York has Niagara Falls, which awes absolutely everyone. But even if we take the entire (mostly) urban crescent from Arlington to Virginia Beach via Richmond as a single entity, it still doesn't match New York City. That tips the scale towards the Empire State over the Cavalier Commonwealth.

California vs. North Carolina — Yes, North Carolina has barbecue and California doesn't (though I'm sure they think they do in San Francisco, because San Franciscans think that city has absolutely everything. News flash: It doesn't). But I'll take the Pacific Coast over the Outer Banks, and the tall sequoias over the Great Smokies. (But: What's a joshua tree?)

Colorado vs. Maine — The poorest of the six New England states* has been turning in a mighty impressive performance in this tournament, and I'd like to see its win streak continue. The mountains in Maine may not have the majesty of the Rockies, but Colorado pairs them with Far Western Kansas while Maine matches its with a beautiful, rugged ocean coastline dotted with charming towns, working port cities and one of the coolest small cities in the country in Portland. Edited to add: And while there is that streetcar in Fort Collins, there's also the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport — where I can go see a restored Philadelphia Bridge Line car from 1936. And while Denver's pretty cool, over on the side of Kansas City I grew up in, they worry about "Denverization." (I'd link the Kansas City Star editorial on this subject, but that paper's paywall is the highest in the country.)

*I have heard that, after adjusting for cost of living, Maine actually tops Mississippi as the poorest state in the country. I think it hides the poverty better than Mississippi does, though.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-21-2022 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-21-2022, 06:07 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Florida vs Hawaii // toughest one yet! I only gave Hawaii the nod because of the scenery. Florida has so much to offer, but the beaches and coastlines are non-comparable.

New York vs Virginia // Easiest decision of this round. New York continues to impress me as a state.

California vs North Carolina // North Carolina is like a smaller scale, more conservative, East Coast version of California. It has cities, beaches, mountains, and a moderate climate. I like the charm of NC, so I gave it the nod.

Colorado vs Maine // Another difficult one for me because I really like Maine. However, Colorado is very nice and has more impressive mountains.

If these pairings were different, then I would probably have ended with different results.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:40 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,059,103 times
FL vs HI.....Florida wins....can drive to it ....and has beaches and warm winter weather

NY vs VA....New York wins....has NYC...Adirondacks....1000 Islands....The Hamptons

CA vs NC....California wins...incredible diversity in one state

CO vs ME....Maine wins....Colorado is overrated....Maine has coast, mountains, forests...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City